GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

YIKES! I can't see my Counts at the bottom of the page after upgrading to 5.1.1, I can see that they are there but I have no way to pull them into view, how do I do that?

For users with screen resolution of 1024 x 768 and greater, the size of the "filter name" and "current centre point" in the status bar have been increased so you can better see longer names without the information being truncated.

This of course has pushed the counts further over to the right of your screen. On screens that are only on 1024 width you must have the screen maximized to see all your counts.

Edited by ClydeE

Clyde, I hate to be a nit-picker... this is a fantastic program.

From the version history, the most recent release includes this:

GSAK HTML generation for the logs now has limited BBcode support to display colours, images, and links.

That's awesome. Trouble is, now the logs have lost other formatting, such as paragraph breaks. Logs that used to be divided into paragraphs now all run together with no spaces between them.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z

GSAK HTML generation for the logs now has limited BBcode support to display colours, images, and links.

That's awesome. Trouble is, now the logs have lost other formatting, such as paragraph breaks. Logs that used to be divided into paragraphs now all run together with no spaces between them.

Jamie

Hmmm, strange.

I've just generated a html file of 300+ caches and the HTML output shows a blank line between each log and blank lines in the main text. These seem to mimic the blank lines shown on the associated gc.com cache page.

Edited for clarity(?)

Edited by Motley Crew

Jamie

Jamie,

What version of GSAK are you actually running?

This was a known problem introduced in 5.1.0

However, version 5.1.1 should have fixed this (see version history), but you would need to load in a GPX file again to fix those logs that had this problem.

This should be an easy one:

I'm preparing to delete some unused Custom URLs from the list to help reduce some clutter.

First, will the ones I delete stay deleted as I continue to install future updates? (I'm assuming they will because the one's I have added don't disappear).

Second, if at some time I want to bring them back, how can I do that?

I'm preparing to delete some unused Custom URLs from the list to help reduce some clutter.

First, will the ones I delete stay deleted as I continue to install future updates? (I'm assuming they will because the one's I have added don't disappear).

Yes.

Second, if at some time I want to bring them back, how can I do that?

Just key them back in again. If you can't remember what they were then I suggest you first save all your current URLs to a text file. You can do this simply by using copy and paste into something like notepad.

We have a problem sending waypoints from GSAK to the GPSr.

We have a Magellan SportTrak Map

Compaq computer running Windows XP Professional

Needless to say, I have become extremely frustrated beyond belief. Yes, I could continue to take the GPSr to work and download waypoints, but that's not what I want to do, nor should I be doing.

Can you give me some advice before I toss the GPSr and the computer out the window in a tantrum? I would be most appreciative

My first check would be as Clyde suggested, can you still update the firmware?

If yes, then there is something rather silly going on. As has been pointed out, perhaps you are using the wrong com port. Another thought I had was that maybe something else is tying up that COM port, like a PDA, or something similar.

Try booting the computer in to safe mode, and then try from there.

If that works then it is just a matter of removing the offending program from the system start up.

If that doesn't work then we have to try something else. One other possibility is that there is something wrong with the COM port. I know with the Garmin units, some Motherboards have a tough time communicating with them (GA-6VEML for one)* and the only solution is to go out, and buy a USB COM port (shouldn't be too expensive), and then configure EasyGPS, and GSAK to use the USB COM port.

* out of curriosity, has anyone else found this to be a problem? I've tried it with several different 6VEML boards, fresh OS loads, new/old BIOS versions everything I can think of. I finally broke down and bought a USB COM port, and never really looked back. I think it has something to do with the output of the Garmin units not strictly being RS232, but 99.9% of hardware out there doesn't care.

Been trying to use custom icons on my 60CS, and I've been running in to difficulty.

I'm sure its something silly, so feel free to point out the obvious.

I've created a file in the GSAK folder called garminother.txt, which contains names for my custom waypoints (I assume these are arbitrary?). These show up in GSAK. I've got my custom waypoints icons loaded in to the GPS as icons 0->7. When I try to upload them to my GPS, the wrong symbol comes out. They keep comming out with non-custom icons (unique per type, I think, but not what I selected). Ideas?

Been trying to use custom icons on my 60CS, and I've been running in to difficulty.

I'm sure its something silly, so feel free to point out the obvious.

I've created a file in the GSAK folder called garminother.txt, which contains names for my custom waypoints (I assume these are arbitrary?). These show up in GSAK. I've got my custom waypoints icons loaded in to the GPS as icons 0->7. When I try to upload them to my GPS, the wrong symbol comes out. They keep comming out with non-custom icons (unique per type, I think, but not what I selected). Ideas?

Unfortunately the names are not arbitrary. Your GarminOther.txt file for the 60cs must have the names:

Custom 0

Custom 1

Custom 2

.....ect

I will confess the help file is a bit brief on this (I don't really know that much about custom icons) but this topic is in the help file under "Custom Icons" and can also be viewed online here

GSAK tip - doing a cache raid

This one is more for the advanced user who is not afraid to get into the bowels of GSAK macros (automating GSAK) .

GSAK can generate a route of caches that are the closest distance from each other for a "cache raid" via a macro.

Basically, the macro allows you to build a "cache chain". You select a cache then the macro will build a database of a direct route of the caches that are the shortest distance from the last one (of course ignoring caches that are already in your "cache chain"). You can then use this "route" to plan your next cache raid. Note: this is not quite as sophisticated as selecting a centre point then doing the calculations to provide the shortest route to collect all caches within x miles of this point (I'm not even sure how I would do this).

If you are interested to see how this all hangs together please see this post

Note: this is not quite as sophisticated as selecting a centre point then doing the calculations to provide the shortest route to collect all caches within x miles of this point (I'm not even sure how I would do this).

If you ever figure it out, you can become a rich man. That's the old Traveling Salesman problem, and no one has ever come up with an algorithm which works for that. Lots of companies would pay big bucks for a proven solution.

When exporting to a GPX file that I use with Expert GPS I would like to change the icon in the export. I noticed some commands to change the Icon when exporting to the GPSr (I own a Garmin 60CS) but not sure how to do it for exporting to a GPX file. Is there a way to do this?

When exporting to a GPX file that I use with Expert GPS I would like to change the icon in the export. I noticed some commands to change the Icon when exporting to the GPSr (I own a Garmin 60CS) but not sure how to do it for exporting to a GPX file. Is there a way to do this?

Yes, Just check the box "Make symbols same as last GPS send".

This will convert the symbols in the GPX file to the same as you are sending down to your GPSr.

This will convert the symbols in the GPX file to the same as you are sending down to your GPSr.

I want to use a macro to export the GPS file and was hoping to be able to assign the symbol to whatever I wanted that my 60CS supports.

I want to use a macro to export the GPS file and was hoping to be able to assign the symbol to whatever I wanted that my 60CS supports.

Just set up how you would like the icons to be when you send to your 60cs, (use GPS=>Send) then when you do the export to GPX file (making sure you have ticked the "make symbols same as last GPS send"), the symbols will be those supported by the 60cs

What version of GSAK are you actually running?

This was a known problem introduced in 5.1.0

However, version 5.1.1 should have fixed this (see version history), but you would need to load in a GPX file again to fix those logs that had this problem.

I have 5.1.1.

For whatever reason, it now displays the logs correctly. No problems here. Yay!

Jamie

GSAK tip - doing a cache raid

Note: this is not quite as sophisticated as selecting a centre point then doing the calculations to provide the shortest route to collect all caches within x miles of this point (I'm not even sure how I would do this).

I've got a fair idea of how to do a decent implementation of the TSP (traveling saleman problem), it isn't all that complicated to come to reasonable approximation of a solution (especially with a reasonably fast processor, and a relatively small number of points). If you'd like some tips on how to code it, I'd be more than willing to help (I keep meaning to do something like this, but haven't gotten around to it). I've taken several unversity level courses on computer simulations, so I actually do have a fair idea of what I'm talking about (one of the problems we had the option of solving was a TSP problem, I chose an MD simulation instead...)

YIKES! I can't see my Counts at the bottom of the page after upgrading to 5.1.1, I can see that they are there but I have no way to pull them into view, how do I do that?

For users with screen resolution of 1024 x 768 and greater, the size of the "filter name" and "current centre point" in the status bar have been increased so you can better see longer names without the information being truncated.

This of course has pushed the counts further over to the right of your screen. On screens that are only on 1024 width you must have the screen maximized to see all your counts.

Any way you can shrink the fields just a wee bit? Maybe the "Subset" field can be shrunk a tad? Or would it be possible to make them dynamic, so each user could decide for themselves how wide to make 'em?

I"m sure there's other folx like myself who have too many apps/windows running whereby running maximized (or maximized width) windows isn't the most productive way of doing things.

I've been using GSAK for a while to create files for CacheMate. I have the recent version (5.1.1). I can import files, open files, delete waypoints, export files, and even use filters. My problem is I can't toggle the user flag, nothing happens. I can only use the set all user flags or clear all. My operating system is windows 98. Is there a setting somewhere that I don't know about?

Clyde,

I love the program thanks for the awesome job. I have found a small problem that I have detailed below.

<a name="#Group20">
         ^-----Please remove this #

This is a snippet from the html generated by GSAK that causes problems with some web browsers.

In the above code could you please remove the # in the name tag declaration. It is not W3C compliant and causes problems with standards compliant browsers such as Firefox. If you remove the # the tag becomes compliant and works with Firefox. IE ignores the # if it is there but still works with it removed.

Thanks,

Tim

EDIT: I am running 5.1.1 Build 14

Edited by Team yGEOh
I've been using GSAK for a while to create files for CacheMate. I have the recent version (5.1.1). I can import files, open files, delete waypoints, export files, and even use filters. My problem is I can't toggle the user flag, nothing happens. I can only use the set all user flags or clear all. My operating system is windows 98. Is there a setting somewhere that I don't know about?

Yes, it sounds like to me that you have the user flag as your very first column in the grid and have it locked (You have checked the "lock first column" at the top of the screen).

Locking the first column stops it from scrolling out of view (like "freeze" in excel) when you scoll to the right, but unfortunately it also "locks" it from being updated.

Move this column from being your very first or uncheck that box.

Clyde,

I love the program thanks for the awesome job. I have found a small problem that I have detailed below.

<a name="#Group20">

This is a snippet from the html generated by GSAK that causes problems with some web browsers.

In the above code could you please remove the # in the name tag declaration. It is not W3C compliant and causes problems with standards compliant browsers such as Firefox. If you remove the # the tag becomes compliant and works with Firefox. IE ignores the # if it is there but still works with it removed.

Hmm, are you sure it is not W3C compliant?

I ran it through the validator at http://validator.w3.org and it did not pick this up as being invalid.

It did however, pick up that <a name="#Group20"> does not have the corresponding </a> tag to finish it off.

I get the feeling that is the real problem rather than the name beginning with a #. Could you please confirm or otherwise by changing <a name="#Group20"> to

<a name="#Group30"></a> and let me know if this does fix the problem.

I guess there is no reall issue in removing the #, but that does not explain why the validator does not see this as being a problem.

Any way you can shrink the fields just a wee bit? Maybe the "Subset" field can be shrunk a tad? Or would it be possible to make them dynamic, so each user could decide for themselves how wide to make 'em?

I"m sure there's other folx like myself who have too many apps/windows running whereby running maximized (or maximized width) windows isn't the most productive way of doing things.

Ok, I have coded a patch in an attempt fix the issue of the new status bar and counts moving off the screen when not maximized.

Perhaps this won't suit everybody, but I am hoping this will be the solution for the majority.

I have assumed (yea I know what they say about that :laughing: ) that the counts have the highest priority when viewing the status bar. I have therefore changed the program so that these counts will always be visible no matter what your screen resolution or form width is set to.

GSAK will now dynamically resize the width of the other items in the status bar to make sure counts will always fit.

You can download this patch here http://gsak.net/GSAK512B10.exe

Note: To save on size and download time, this install (patch) is a stripped down version, and is only available using the above link. The prerequisite for this install is having done the full install of 5.1.1 build 14 available from http://gsak.net

I don't want to get users offside by releasing a new trivial version every other day so this latest version will not show up in your automatic notification update. When I get enough other bug reports to fix I will roll this all into another maintenance release notified by the automatic update and available from my website.

I've been using GSAK for a while to create files for CacheMate. I have the recent version (5.1.1). I can import files, open files, delete waypoints, export files, and even use filters. My problem is I can't toggle the user flag, nothing happens. I can only use the set all user flags or clear all. My operating system is windows 98.  Is there a setting somewhere that I don't know about?

Yes, it sounds like to me that you have the user flag as your very first column in the grid and have it locked (You have checked the "lock first column" at the top of the screen).

Locking the first column stops it from scrolling out of view (like "freeze" in excel) when you scoll to the right, but unfortunately it also "locks" it from being updated.

First column is not locked and the user flag is 4th column. What else could I be doing wrong?

Clyde,

<a name="#Group20">

Hmm, are you sure it is not W3C compliant?

I ran it through the validator at http://validator.w3.org and it did not pick this up as being invalid.

It did however, pick up that <a name="#Group20"> does not have the corresponding </a> tag to finish it off.

I get the feeling that is the real problem rather than the name beginning with a #. Could you please confirm or otherwise by changing <a name="#Group20"> to

<a name="#Group30"></a> and let me know if this does fix the problem.

I guess there is no reall issue in removing the #, but that does not explain why the validator does not see this as being a problem.

Clyde,

Completing the <a name> element with </a> did not correct the problem. Removing the # does fix the problem. What Firefox is looking for is a fragment identifier named 'Group20'. The fragment identifer in the generated code is '#Group20'. I can get '#Group20' to work if I change the < href tag to this: <a href="##Group20">.

So I guess saying it was not compliant was not accurate becasue the validator does not look for non-existant links.

Here is some info on fragment identifiersI found it at http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/intro/intr...ml#fragment-uri

2.1.2 Fragment identifiers

Some URIs refer to a location within a resource. This kind of URI ends with "#" followed by an anchor identifier (called the fragment identifier). For instance, here is a URI pointing to an anchor named section_2:

http ://somesite.com/html/top.html#section_2

I've been using GSAK for a while to create files for CacheMate. I have the recent version (5.1.1). I can import files, open files, delete waypoints, export files, and even use filters. My problem is I can't toggle the user flag, nothing happens. I can only use the set all user flags or clear all. My operating system is windows 98.  Is there a setting somewhere that I don't know about?

First column is not locked and the user flag is 4th column. What else could I be doing wrong?

More information required. Following this up via private email.

Ok, I have coded a patch in an attempt fix the issue of the new status bar and counts moving off the screen when not maximized.

Perhaps this won't suit everybody, but I am hoping this will be the solution for the majority.

I have assumed (yea I know what they say about that  :P  ) that the counts have the highest priority when viewing the status bar. I have therefore changed the program so that these counts will always be visible no matter what your screen resolution or form width is set to.

GSAK will now dynamically resize the width of the other items in the status bar to make sure counts will always fit.

Hmm. This (for me) is not so good (but I can see why some like it). Counts are not a priority for me. With a 'less than 1024 x 768' screen I lose part of my 'subset' and all of my 'name search' indication.

How about reducing the 'Caches shown' area - perhaps lose the % part and show the "ab found (out of wxyz)" as simply ab/wxyz? This might release some real estate.

I guess this is an example of 'not being able to please all of the people all of the time' syndrome. :D

Edited to add:

When I say 'less than 1024 x 768' I mean the res is set for that but I manually reduce the size of the GSAK screen - hope that makes sense.

Edited by Motley Crew

I have assumed (yea I know what they say about that  :P  ) that the counts have the highest priority when viewing the status bar. I have therefore changed the program so that these counts will always be visible no matter what your screen resolution or form width is set to.

Hmm. This (for me) is not so good (but I can see why some like it). Counts are not a priority for me. With a 'less than 1024 x 768' screen I lose part of my 'subset' and all of my 'name search' indication.

How about reducing the 'Caches shown' area - perhaps lose the % part and show the "ab found (out of wxyz)" as simply ab/wxyz? This might release some real estate.

I guess this is an example of 'not being able to please all of the people all of the time' syndrome. :D

Edited to add:

When I say 'less than 1024 x 768' I mean the res is set for that but I manually reduce the size of the GSAK screen - hope that makes sense.

Yea, I could change this and be chasing my tail on this one.

I think if you are going to reduce your screen size downwards there must be some acceptance of compromise.

For those that really need to see the full filter name just hover your mouse in this area and the full description will pop up in a hint window.

I have this problem, too. It's come and gone through various GSAK versions, so I'm not convinced that it's actually a GSAK problem.

Setting and removing a filter on UserFlag (even if no records flagged) will usually, but not always, fix it. As will restarting GSAK.

Clyde: ask if you need any info to track this down.

I have this problem, too. It's come and gone through various GSAK versions, so I'm not convinced that it's actually a GSAK problem.

Setting and removing a filter on UserFlag (even if no records flagged) will usually, but not always, fix it. As will restarting GSAK.

Clyde: ask if you need any info to track this down.

The next time it happens (this applies to anybody reading this) could you please take the option "Tools=>Send debug info to Clyde" and email me the tracking number (and a brief description to remind me why you are sending this)

thx

Quick and easy question I'm sure: Is it possible to have the found caches highlighted in yellow and counted for a different user other than the one receiving the .GPX files?

What I mean is my brother is a non-premium member who uses my PC obviously with my GPX files loaded. Can I change a setting in GSAK to show his found caches instead of mine (in the same way as placed caches), or is it contained in the GPX file rather than generated by GSAK?

So would he have to become a premium member and have his own database in GSAK to be able to use it properly?

Thanks

Andy

Edited by andyfriday
Quick and easy question I'm sure: Is it possible to have the found caches highlighted in yellow and counted for a different user other than the one receiving the .GPX files?

What I mean is my brother is a non-premium member who uses my PC obviously with my GPX files loaded. Can I change a setting in GSAK to show his found caches instead of mine (in the same way as placed caches), or is it contained in the GPX file rather than generated by GSAK?

So would he have to become a premium member and have his own database in GSAK to be able to use it properly?

Thanks

Andy

You could sort do this (if you had in your GSAK database all the found logs of the other cacher). However, there are other pitfalls and settings you need to be aware of to get this to work properly.

By far the best method to achieve this is for the other cacher to be a premium member, then they get all their found logs and the actual GPX file also has an indicator that the cache has been found by that person.

Not sure he will want to sign up in the short term until I can show him how much easier it can all be. He will also have to get a proper email account.

I will have all the caches he has found as part of my gpx files so could you point me in the right direction to achieve this please.

Thanks very much

Andy

I'm trying to run GSAK 5.1.1 (build 14) for the first time (no previous builds of GSAK ever installed on my PC), but it just appears to lock up at the splash screen.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I don't see anyone else reporting this difficulty

Please see this post

Installed 5.1.1 Release 14. Had to deselected all Startup files to get it to run. Took about 2-3 minutes to load. Reselected all Startup files. GSAK takes 2-3 minutes to load. Running Windows ME. Is this normal for this new version?

I'm trying to run GSAK 5.1.1 (build 14) for the first time (no previous builds of GSAK ever installed on my PC), but it just appears to lock up at the splash screen.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I don't see anyone else reporting this difficulty

Please see this post

Installed 5.1.1 Release 14. Had to deselected all Startup files to get it to run. Took about 2-3 minutes to load. Reselected all Startup files. GSAK takes 2-3 minutes to load. Running Windows ME. Is this normal for this new version?

Hmm, I have never heard of GSAK taking that long to start up on any system.

Do you have a virsus scanner running that has "realtime protection"? If so, then exclude the file "GSAK.ini" (install folder of GSAK). This file contains all the GSAK settings and gets updated very often. Some virus scanners seem to cause a bottleneck here when a particular file is updated frequently.

The other poblem is memory. How much memory has your Windows ME system got? Although GSAK will run in 32mb of ram if you have other applications running your system will "thrash" paging memory in and out from disk.

Not sure he will want to sign up in the short term until I can show him how much easier it can all be. He will also have to get a proper email account.

I will have all the caches he has found as part of my gpx files so could you point me in the right direction to achieve this please.

Note: For this method to work it is not good enough for you to just have all the caches he has found, you must also have all his found logs.

1. Create a new database for this person

2. Change your method for "matching placed and found caches" Tools=>Options=>General to match this person

3. Load in all your GPX files but make sure on the load GPX dialog the "found status update options" is set to never (this option will stop your found caches showing up as well as the other person)

Don't forget, when you go back to loading your own database, to see your finds you will have to revert these settings to what they were before.

Is there a way to lock a cache entry so that refresh/updates do not change them?

I run an “unfound” query every week or so and update my GSAK unfound database. After I do an “unfound” update I refresh my GPSr cache waypoints. My problem is GSAK completely replaces the existing set of cache entries. I often solve puzzle caches and change the dummy coordinates to the real coordinates, but don’t go find them until I’m in that area. When I do an “unfound” update it throws away my real coordinates and replaces them with the dummy ones posted for the cache.

Is there a way to lock a cache entry so that refresh/updates do not change them?

I apologize in advance for not reading every post in the GSAK threads, and I am sure it has been answered 'somewhere'......

What items do you select to filter for caches that have NEVER been found?

There are several ways you can do this, but probably one of the easiest is to click on the "Date" tab, then in the drop down box next to "Last found date" select "Not During", then enter 10 in "The last" box, then select "Years" from the final drop down box.

Of course in 10 years time you will need to set this to 20 B)

I run an “unfound” query every week or so and update my GSAK unfound database. After I do an “unfound” update I refresh my GPSr cache waypoints. My problem is GSAK completely replaces the existing set of cache entries. I often solve puzzle caches and change the dummy coordinates to the real coordinates, but don’t go find them until I’m in that area. When I do an “unfound” update it throws away my real coordinates and replaces them with the dummy ones posted for the cache.

Yes, right mouse click on the cache, and select edit, then check the "Lock" box.

When you lock a cache, this will stop all fields for that cache updating. For more information, click on the help button when editing a waypoint, then click on the "hot link" when you hover your mouse over the "lock" field.

However, GSAK does have a "special" feature for exactly what you are doing here.

This feature is known as "corrected coordinates"

When you want to do what you describe, right mouse click on a cache and select "corrected coordinates". This will allow you to enter in coordinates which will not get overridden by the next GPX load, but everything else will get updated. I think you will find this is exactly what you are after.

If this is something you do often, you can even add this "corrected coordinates" indicator as a column in your grid view (see Tools=>Options=>Display). then you can see immediately which caches have corrected coordinates. Also if you double mouse click on this cell for a cache it will also automatically bring up the corrected coordinates dialog.

I have a small feature request that should be easy to do, maybe I'm just missing a way to do this and it's already there.

I'd like to be able to make a filter for caches that I own that I can use in the automation. However I can't seem to get it to work right now because my GC name Coaster is a subset of other cachers names i.e. CoasterFamily. If there was either a way to filter caches based on the user ID number or that GSAK has already flagged as owned by me I'd be very thankful.

Thanks,

Coaster

I have a small feature request that should be easy to do, maybe I'm just missing a way to do this and it's already there.

I'd like to be able to make a filter for caches that I own that I can use in the automation. However I can't seem to get it to work right now because my GC name Coaster is a subset of other cachers names i.e.  CoasterFamily. If there was either a way to filter caches based on the user ID number or that GSAK has already flagged as owned by me I'd be very thankful.

This is already allowed for in GSAK. It sounds like you are using wild card matching when you should be using exact

You can alter this via Tools=>Options=>General. Please refer to the help file or online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs7690.htm

edit: Woops, sorry read your question incorrectly. You were asking about filters. However, similar thing - just use equal to rather than contains

Edited by ClydeE