Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Globetrotter.uk

Purchase Error

I brought a handheld operating between 450.470MHz

I thought it covered pmr446 for general useage. Please can anyone tell me if I can changed the frequency range or where I can take it in norwich area to be looked at by reliable engineer?

that probably not going to be able to be done in the software. find a local dealer for your radio and ask theml. your basicaly going to have to replace part of the components much like many hams take 900mhz motorolla and modify them

Even if you did have the radio converted to operate on pmr446 frequencies it would not be legal to use. You may find also that it will not tune in 6.25khz steps but 12.5khz steps and would not be able operate on the correct channels.

e.g. channel 5 446.05625Mhz the nearest you would be able to tune with a 12.5khz step would be 446.0500Mhz and so you would be off frequency.

Your best bet may be to cut your losses, sell the set on and buy a better quality pmr446 such as an Alan, TTI, Alinco or Freequency examples of which can be found at Maplin. For more information go here 446user and look at some of the info there.

Edited by adrianjohn