Cache Idea

Ambrosia

WARNING!

If you are from my area, do not read this! :huh::mad:

Anyway, I am planning a long multi. I want people to have to bring items with them to help in gathering the info from some of the stages.

So far, they need to bring with them:

1. pennies

2. a mirror

(can't tell you why, I need a little bit of suprise element with the locals)

I had been thinking of a flashlight, where they would need it to go into a cave or some other dark spot to fing the clue, but we just don't have something like that in my area.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of something they would need to bring to help them with stages?

Ok, except for the blacklight idea, I didn't really get the rest. :rolleyes:

Maybe I need to be specific. I didn't want to, cause I know that the local cachers that would be crazy enough to do this cache will also be reading this thread. :)

One of the ideas I have is from a cache that my mother in law did. You would be required to bring a mirror. When you get to the cache, there will be a hint in it that is written backwards. You use the mirror to see the hint, which will tell you the clues to another cache hidden nearby.

This is the type of things that I am looking for. You actually have to bring an item (mirror) with you on the hunt to decode, or find each stop in the multi.

Any other ideas? Have any of you gone to any caches that required you to take something with you to find the cache? (besides a gps :) )

Tweezers

5/16 open end wrench

2 gallons plus 1 quart of water

Fishing pole with a barbless hook.

Secret decoder from cache page.

Tweezers - the clue is in a location only accesable with a pair of tweezers

5/16 open end wrench - you need the wrench to open a container with a clue inside.

2 gallons plus 1 quart of water - the clue is on a floating object inside an upright pipe (like the ones used to block walking paths from car trafic) you need to fill the pipe to access the clue. I made up the quantity.

Fishing pole with a barbless hook - the clue is in a location which requires you to retrieve it with the fishing pole and hook.

Secret decoder from cache page - Make up a decoder sheet that is used to solve a clue, maybe transposing words & letters from a marker into numbers. a=2 b=4 z=9 etc.

Edited by rusty_tlc
Tweezers

5/16 open end wrench

2 gallons plus 1 quart of water

Fishing pole with a barbless hook.

Secret decoder from cache page.

Tweezers - the clue is in a location only accesable with a pair of tweezers

5/16 open end wrench - you need the wrench to open a container with a clue inside.

2 gallons plus 1 quart of water - the clue is on a floating object inside an upright pipe (like the ones used to block walking paths from car trafic) you need to fill the pipe to access the clue. I made up the quantity.

Fishing pole with a barbless hook - the clue is in a location which requires you to retrieve it with the fishing pole and hook.

Secret decoder from cache page - Make up a decoder sheet that is used to solve a clue, maybe transposing words & letters from a marker into numbers. a=2 b=4 z=9 etc.

Thanks, rusty. :rolleyes:

Tweezers

Did this with my 3 Germans series.

The cachers have to go find a couple of statues in SW Omaha that are German. The color of the first statue locks a color wheel corresponding to the numbers on a clock. The coords for the real cache are revealed by the colors that are posted on the page corresponding to numbers missing from the posted coords.

To find the third cache, you have to subtract the two colors of cache 1 and 2 from the color of the German flag, then use the missing third color to lock the wheel and get the coords for #3

The wheel is a jpg file that when printed out will cover a CD. Put CD and color wheel inside a jewel case, and you can lock the color wheel in position by friction.

(credit: BlackyV)

One of the ideas I have is from a cache that my mother in law did. You would be required to bring a mirror. When you get to the cache, there will be a hint in it that is written backwards. You use the mirror to see the hint, which will tell you the clues to another cache hidden nearby.

Neat idea, but is it really that difficult for people to read backwards writing? I groan every time I see a television program or movie in which somebody has to hold up a mirror to read what "TI DID RELTUB EHT" really says. :rolleyes:

A language dictionary--say, a French dictionary, for use in translating a word or phrase, needed to go to the next stage

Similarly, any reasonably small reference work. Asking them to bring an entire Encyclopedia Britannica would be a bit excessive.... :rolleyes:

A photo of the area, posted on the cache page. You've used Photoshop to alter part of the photo, as a clue. (This idea was mentioned here some time ago)

Binoculars/monoculars, to stand in a particular spot and, looking in a particular direction, spot a clue/object

A ruler/tape measure, to measure the dimensions of an object, giving them part of the coordinates to the next stage

A cell phone, which they'd use to dial a number provided at one stage; a prerecorded message would give them instructions for proceeding to the next stage. Obviously you'd need an idle phone line for this

There must be many other possibilities....

BTW there is a cache in this area that is designated a "night cache", which can only be done at night, and requires that the cacher bring a flashlight. The coordinates point to the starting point, at the edge of a maze of trails; you shine your flashlight around in the dark until you see light from a reflector, nailed to a tree maybe 50 yards away--far enough away that in the daytime it would be very hard to spot. You proceed to the reflector, then shine your flashlight about looking for the next reflector, and so on.

The fellow who created this cache apparently got permission to place the reflectors as well. Anyways, it was very well done.

One of the ideas I have is from a cache that my mother in law did.  You would be required to bring a mirror.  When you get to the cache, there will be a hint in it that is written backwards.  You use the mirror to see the hint, which will tell you the clues to another cache hidden nearby.

Neat idea, but is it really that difficult for people to read backwards writing? I groan every time I see a television program or movie in which somebody has to hold up a mirror to read what "TI DID RELTUB EHT" really says. :)

I can't read backwards. :rolleyes:

Neat idea, but is it really that difficult for people to read backwards writing? I groan every time I see a television program or movie in which somebody has to hold up a mirror to read what "TI DID RELTUB EHT" really says

First of all, the letters wouldn't be written the same way as you just typed.

It would be a bit more like this:

13eed8a1-afe7-42f4-9502-200ee4a8a6e6.jpg

While some of us posess the ability to read something like that without a mirror, others of us don't.

Neat idea, but is it really that difficult for people to read backwards writing? I groan every time I see a television program or movie in which somebody has to hold up a mirror to read what "TI DID RELTUB EHT" really says

First of all, the letters wouldn't be written the same way as you just typed.

It would be a bit more like this:

13eed8a1-afe7-42f4-9502-200ee4a8a6e6.jpg

While some of us posess the ability to read something like that without a mirror, others of us don't.

It took me a while to read after I flipped it. ;)

mirrorcode.jpg

Try the lemon juice secret note. hehehehheh imagine their faces when they get the next clue but nothing is on the paper... but is there???? Better hope for sunny days to decode this one. Or have them bring a lighter to speed the process up - just don't burn the paper. This would mean that many of these "clues" would be needed as once one is decoded then it should NOT be put back.

Lemon Juice Writing

Edited by mrking

I did a multi-cache just like this, only I hid two mirrors at the first coordinates.

Mirror Image

a gallon or two of water...

why? NOT to drink... Don't drink the water

need more info... email me

Hurray! I just made my first custom bookmark list! Out of area caches I'd like to do. Thanks ralaan.

if that means that you added my cache to your list... :( I am honored.

I'd brag on others but one cache per thread for me :P

I started the list with your cache. :ph34r:

Klamath Falls is in the realm of "we could possiably do that some weekend" in terms of driving times.

So as to not totaly derail the thread. What about a pencil and transfer paper? The clue would be a normal looking piece of cardboard, maybe soft plastic. To get the clue you would take a "rubbing" from it.

I had been thinking of a flashlight, where they would need it to go into a cave or some other dark spot to fing the clue, but we just don't have something like that in my area.

What about When Midnight Falls Upon The Castle This cache is at the entrance to a cave. And there are several caves/tunnels on the Iron Goat Trail on Stevens Pass. That gives me an idea to use for my Blewett cache. I have to redo it since the cache was "stolen". I might incorporate one of the old mining shafts in the area.

Thanks Ambrosia.....

WARedBear

What about When Midnight Falls Upon The Castle This cache is at the entrance to a cave. And there are several caves/tunnels on the Iron Goat Trail on Stevens Pass. That gives me an idea to use for my Blewett cache. I have to redo it since the cache was "stolen". I might incorporate one of the old mining shafts in the area.

Thanks Ambrosia.....

WARedBear

Hi Redbear! :P

You're not supposed to read this thread, didn't you see the warning at the top? :(

Anyway, I'll think about it, but going that for up the Tumwater, Blewett, or Stevens might be just a wee bit too far away for my multi.

Thanks. :ph34r:

Yes, I saw the WARNING!!! :ph34r: I figured I could help anyway since I don't live there anymore. Maybe not :P I will have to admit....the cashers around there are a special group. I am glad I had them to teach me the ins and outs of special caching. I will never forget the first Ish-n-Isha cache that taught me just how sneaky caching could be. A BIG Thanks :( to all of you.

Red Bear