New Ignore Feature

WH

Those of us who choose not to pay for premium membership still do.

Those of you who choose not to pay for premium membership should lose your accounts after 90 days of freeloading off of those of us who do.

I find it repugnant that you take pride in not paying for what you use.

then why is it being given away?

Those of you who choose not to pay for premium membership should lose your accounts after 90 days of freeloading off of those of us who do.

Oh, well now, I wouldn't go that far. I'm happy to pay for my membership and feel I easily get my money's worth in return, but I'd be so outta here if it were mandatory. This is a very good site dedicated to the game, but it isn't the game.

Which management seems wise enough to realize.

:mad: In an attempt to maybe rerail this topic, I just checked out the new look of the website. It seems very clean and sleek. Looks pretty nice. I also noticed the bookmark link. That is a great idea, to be able to create multiple groups of bookmarks that could be shared as well. The ignore feature will probably come in handy occasionally, but I guess that I don't see me using it much (maybe I am lucky with the general quality of caches in my area :huh: ) Nice job on the upgrade (and I am happy to pay my membership fees :huh: ).
No. The "ignore" lists are private to the owner (cannot be shared) and cache pages do not say "3 users are ignoring this cache."

That's really unfortunate. :mad:

...or fortunate depending on if you're the owner of said ignored cache or not.

I could understand being an owner of ignored caches if they required a boat, licensing, or some serious mental skills, but a 1/1 urban being ignored should tell you something.

...I could understand being an owner of ignored caches if they required a boat, licensing, or some serious mental skills, but a 1/1 urban being ignored should tell you something.

Bah. This has all been discussed to death. It would only tell you that x number of people are ignoring it. People could ignore a cache for tons of reasons.

Do a search.

...I could understand being an owner of ignored caches if they required a boat, licensing, or some serious mental skills, but a 1/1 urban being ignored should tell you something.

Bah. This has all been discussed to death. It would only tell you that x number of people are ignoring it. People could ignore a cache for tons of reasons.

Do a search.

I personally think an owner should see the number.

Of course, the arguement "they can be ignored for X reasons" is always thrown up.

But if I hide a traditional cache that doesn't require any special equipment (has a low to moderate rating) and instantly 50 people are ignoring it - that would tell me something.

At the very least - a dropdown menu on the 'ignore' feature would help:

"Why are you ignoring this cache?"

1. I don't hunt this container size (options)

2. I don't hunt this hide type (options).

3. I don't hunt caches above/below this difficulty.

4. I don't hunt caches above/below this terrain.

5. other

6. Your cache is lame.

southdeltan

1. I don't hunt this container size (options)

2. I don't hunt this hide type (options).

3. I don't hunt caches above/below this difficulty.

4. I don't hunt caches above/below this terrain.

5. other

6. Your cache is lame.

7. I don't hunt for caches placed by this user because everything he/she places has VERY inaccurate (2-3 hundred feet off) coordinates and he/she just waits for people to post corrections and even then doesn't update his/her coordinates.

Very happy with the ignore feature. I'll now pay to use the site for this feature alone. (No, I'm not a happy freeloader - I'm unemployed).

Those of us who choose not to pay for premium membership still do.

Well bully for you. Guess you were feeling a little left out there.

Not at all. My statement wasn't even about me. It was a *direct* answer to the first post of the topic. WH stated that we should "put to rest" complaints about lame caches, etc. That is not true because the feature is only available to premium members and standard members will still see these caches regularly.

Beyond that, you still have to see and read a cache at least once to know if you want to ignore it. This will still force even premium members to bump into every lame, inappropriate, etc. cache...and the idea that everyone will just ignore list it that first time and then let it go without a word here in the forums is just laughable.

Super-ooper-dooper for you finally getting something done around here for which people have asked for months....but don't put words in my mouth. I know that I get more than I pay for. I don't feel left out at all and my comment wasn't even about not making this a free feature on the site (I don't even have a single cache I want to ignore). It was only reining in the original topic's overstatement of the facts.

New Ignore Feature, Now Can We Stop Complaining?

Evidently not. Some people will ALWAYS have something to complain about. :rolleyes:

If you think I'm talking about you, you might be right...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=1312248

You must mean WH.

There is a difference between ignoring caches because I choose not to do them and being excluded from a cache because I happen to be male.

Since we can ignore caches, how about users? :)

It would cause logs by the ignored user to not be listed on cache pages.

Or what about a do not ignore feature?

That would force a cache of yours to be listed even if it is selected to be ignored. For those of us who don't ever place any lame caches. :rolleyes:

As a cache owner I would like to know how many, if any, are ignoring my caches but I wouldn't want to know who.

Unless you know why the cache is being ignored, the numbers would be useless.

Maybe its a cacher in a wheelchair ignoring a terrain 3 cache.

Maybe its a cacher ignoring a cache he DNF'd on it 3 times. It's still a fine cache, and others have found it since, but this one guy just doesn't want to see it again.

Maybe its someone that found it, but doesn't log online for whatever reason.

Maybe someone thinks its a lame cache.

Maybe it's your buddy trying to mess with your mind.

I'm sure there are other perfectly valid reasons.

As a cache owner I would like to know how many, if any, are ignoring my caches but I wouldn't want to know who.

Unless you know why the cache is being ignored, the numbers would be useless.

Maybe its a cacher in a wheelchair ignoring a terrain 3 cache.

Maybe its a cacher ignoring a cache he DNF'd on it 3 times. It's still a fine cache, and others have found it since, but this one guy just doesn't want to see it again.

Maybe its someone that found it, but doesn't log online for whatever reason.

Maybe someone thinks its a lame cache.

Maybe it's your buddy trying to mess with your mind.

I'm sure there are other perfectly valid reasons.

...your cache might not be in a good place to cache nude :rolleyes:

still want to know how many are ignoring it?

Just because you won't know exactly why each ignore is on the list doesn't mean you can't get anything from it.

Look, you got 10 caches each has 2-4 ignores. You place another one quite a bit different from the rest and you get 20-30 ignores. That will tell you something. It's up to you to analyze what you did differently to determine why folks are liking, or not, your cache. Weight the ignores with your other feedback and you might see that it's just a niche cache or it truly sucks.

It would be valuable tool.

Getting back to the original question of can we stop complaining?

Two thoughts.

1. This feature will make it easy to blink out caches and never have to see them again.

This will reduce the irritation of seeing caches that you don't want to see.

2. The question of cache spews is not addressed by this feature. This is of greater concern to the long term health of the game.

Think about a new player. He/She doesn't know if they are going to like it, so they don't join, they just play for a while. They get their non-ignore feature cache listing and go on the hunt for a couple of cache spew caches.

How many of us would stay around if the first two or three caches were carbon-copy caches and weren't that good to begin with? These really need to be dealt with. When cache pages are just cut and paste from one to another, and the containers are just a film can or a key holder in a bush or behind the dumpster, we are not going to be retaining new players/members who got interested in the game due to the articles emphasizing the outdoors, etc, and find these.

I don't think it helps much without a rating feature. You usually have to SEE the cache before you know it is lame. I don't want to ignore a cache I haven't found yet. I WOULD like to be able to rate a cache.. say give it 1 to 5 stars, just like on netflix.com

the cache would eventually get a cumulative rating from those who have found. Then we could all review each other's caches and work to improve them if so desired.