New Bookmark Lists Rock!

In another thread, Maingray contributed the following additional ideas for using bookmark lists:

The bookmark lists look very cool..will be great for area geocaching socities; for example, must-visit caches for area visitors (polls to decide?), caches that need adoption / maintenance... some good possibilities there!

A premium member could offer to own and maintain these lists on behalf of their local group, and the group's website could link to the lists.

I had already thought some about implementing the "must-visit caches for area visitors " bit, but I do love the additional bit of maintaining "these lists on behalf of their local group, and the group's website could link to the lists."

Thanks!

It would be nice if everyone created a DNF list or if there was a way to look at another cachers DNF logs.

I have logged over 700 failures. Who, in their right mind, would want to read them all? What idiot would create 700 bookmarks? Could the system even handle that many entries to a list?

Cachesafari offered this idea on the Texasgeocaching.com site:

The Dallas area has caches in some really great nature areas and hiking trails. I'm not really that athletic, but since I have starting geocaching, walking/hiking through these locations has been one of my favorite aspects. Some of them have been a bit long, but my endurance has improved with each one. I have made a favorites list of the ones I have visited in the area:

and presented this link.

I added this link to the discussion.

It would be nice if everyone created a DNF list or if there was a way to look at another cachers DNF logs.

I have logged over 700 failures. Who, in their right mind, would want to read them all? What idiot would create 700 bookmarks? Could the system even handle that many entries to a list?

Ya right! I wudn't want to know mine. Why wud I want to know your'n? :D

I've kind of assumed that you're the world leader in DNFs (over 800 by now). And you keep expanding the distance over me (I'm guessing I'm #2 at 671).

Personally, I think my DNF logs are a lot more interesting reading than my Find logs. But, I wonder whether that's causing my local hiders to want to hide caches that I can't find.

Kind of a bump. I thought this might garner some more interesting discussion with today's additions.

What about a bookmark list for "Caches I Was Injured At" And make it public so that people looking at a cache page might get some helpful advice on their adventure.

What are some interesting Bookmark lists people have come across. I want to add some better ones than my common ones.

I just thought of an ironic (some may say "evil") way to use a bookmark list.

Consider this discussion where a cacher claims that their find logs get deleted simply because the cache owner "did not like them."

Hmmm. For folks not hung up on "numbers," an equally gratifying on-line log of their visit can be recorded. Simply become a premium member, set up a bookmark list named "Caches I have visited and logged, but owner deleted." Share the list, et voila! Now their experience is recorded both in the physical log and online. No smilie satisfaction, but certainly a coup de' gras satisfaction! ;)

No, I have not had any logs deleted, so this evil inspiration of an idea was not borne of bad circumstances. :D

edit: I forgot to type "and make it public" to complete the evilness. Thanks, tozainamboku, for pointing that out.

Edited by Jeep_Dog
I have been thinking about a bookmark list called "Spoilers to Tharagleb's Puzzle Caches", which will give the coords to all my puzzle caches. Why? Because I want people to find my caches, even if they don't like to do puzzles. What do you all think of that idea?

I think that is a wonderful idea! Great concept, if applied by the owner. I would be against Tharagleb making a bookmark list called "Spoilers to Jeep Dog Puzzle Caches." ;)

Simply become a premium member, set up a bookmark list named "Caches I have visited and logged, but owner deleted."  Share the list, et voila!  Now their experience is recorded both in the physical log and online.  No smilie satisfaction, but certainly a coup de' gras satisfaction! ;)

And make the list public. With the new feature, the list will appear on the cache page of all the caches where your logs have been deleted and the cache owner can't do anything about it :D

I have been thinking about a bookmark list called "Spoilers to Tharagleb's Puzzle Caches", which will give the coords to all my puzzle caches. Why? Because I want people to find my caches, even if they don't like to do puzzles. What do you all think of that idea?

Certainly OK to do for your own caches.

Edited by tozainamboku
With the new feature, the list will appear on the cache page of all the caches where your logs have been deleted and the cache owner can't do anything about it 

And what about any nasty lists added to your own cache ?

Maybe a bookmark-list-flamewar will result out of this !!

IMHO not being able to avoid / prevent being on a public shared list is the biggest drawback of the whole bookmark business.

I'm really tempted to finally become a PM, to create an Ignore list for all those nasty mistery and webcam caches in my local area. But having my own caches maybe deformed by a bookmark ?? I'd really hate this, even the mere possibility gives me nightmares.

Cya, Martin

Ok, so I've got a problem that I saw on the forums quite a while back, but for some amazingly jeuvenile reason, two local cachers have put 5 of my caches and others on bookmark lists titled "thumbs down" and "boycott list"! At first I thought "dorks! oh well, their loss" Then they started to get "helpful" ratings, and people were saying "oh thank you for posting this, now I know where not to waste my time" and similar comments. NOW that started to be disappointing! Both are seasoned, respected cachers in the area and people are taking their advice "sight unseen". I didn't recall ever even having seeing them visit the caches they had listed--As I looked deeper and checked, I was right. :ph34r:

So, they've PUBLICLY dissed my caches, and have provided little description/criteria for why caches end up in their lists-- "for various reasons" and "personal choice" "and "ethical reasons"

I've emailed them, rated their caches as unhelpful--citing that more info would be better about why caches should be "boycotted". They're nice people, but have not responded. I feel like I'm back in grade school, :D and am upset because SuzieQ is saying bad things about me, telling classmates not to play with me and won't talk to me and tell me why. Didn't we learn there that if we didn't have anything nice to say, to not say anthing at all?! Share your favorites publicly, but leave your "trash" list (If you must post one) for the trully deserving--and a few do exist.

I've only seen two positive reviews of their lists, one unsolicited (I was so happy to see someone else thought their lists were inappropriate too) and the other was submitted by a fellow cacher at my request--just to provide some balance in the reviews to those reading the lists. Unfortunately, the reviews are NOT chronologically listed, and you have to scroll down to the bottom to see the negative reviews (in this case, the negative reviews are "positive" for me since they express displeasure at the way the lists were setup...no decriptive reasons for why caches find themselves oin their thumbs down or boycaott list).

I love the bookmarking idea, and I guess we have to take the bad with the good, but I hate that their negative and public lists are dissuading people from hitting my caches when the list-owners themselves haven't even visited them. I expect they have criteria, but it appears to be very random (i.e. not all area webcam, puzzle caches or micros are listed...many, but not all) so it's hard to know why these caches are bad--It leaves people with the impression that the caches are inherently bad, or poorly designed and just not worth their time. :P

IMHO (as well as numerous other prior visitors), my cachers are quite fun! :) Some caches on their "don't-bother-with-these" lists are on my all-time favorites bookmark list--I just don't get it. Judging friom their favorites lists, my only conclusion is that they believe the only "TRUE" geocaches are ones that are out deep in the woods, require a hike and have no puzzle, tricky, offset element at all.

I respect their right to an opinion and their own preferences, but they are influencing newbies, travellers and other locals in an unsportsman-like way. Bad taste, but I can do nothing about it to get my caches off their boycott lists. Incidentally, both their "Favorites" bookmarks lists have a descriptive line for EVERY cache on that list as to why the love it so much!, so they are obviously aware of how to enter a unique descriptions for items on their lists.

I've put a lot of time into my caches and am bummed that many cachers will now just ignore them out of hand. Sure, it is their loss, but at least half my pleasure in this sport/game comes from reading the logs of those that find my caches, and my hits do seem to have gone down a bit.

At a minimum, I wish that bookmark ratings/reviews received equal time...meaning that "helpfulness ratings" of the lists were displayed in the order they were received, and that the icon used to represent the ratings (currently a thumbs up icon) actually displayed or reflected the percentage of positive and negative reviews. Thus if there was a higher percentage of negative ratings, their list would show a thumbs down icon. As it stands, it is always in the "thumbs up" position.

-G2

A late reply to this post since the latest post brought my attention to this thread.

As the owner of the caches and answers you place on the list, you certainly have the right to do so.

However, you should put some thought into the thoughts of those who worked hard to solve the puzzles and find the cache and that then someone else is given a "free ride".

At least a concession should be to not add a newly placed cache and answers to the bookmark list until ample time is given for those who want the satisfaction of finding it via the puzzle to do so.

But I like thinking outside the box such as this and you are right that the goal is to have people find your caches.

reepicheep