New Bookmark Lists Rock!

I really like the new bookmark list feature. I've already put it to use by converting my "Top 5% Greatest Cache Hunts" list into a bookmark list. You can see the results here. (Oh, and rate my list if you think it's cool!)

So what are some cool ways to use this new feature?

-- Caches I want to IGNORE

-- Caches I'm planning on doing this weekend, and need to share with friends by using a list

-- Caches I've DNF'd and need to go back to

-- Caches I won't get to any time soon, but I heard about them and want to visit someday

Others?

If bookmarked lists are a MO feature, why does the link to add to a bookmarked list show up for me?

Consider it as a subtle nag screen. I color coded the Premium Member buttons.

Thanks Jeremy! At least someone could actually answer my question. :mad:

Keep up the good work - even if it does include 'nagging' me.

In another thread, Maingray contributed the following additional ideas for using bookmark lists:

The bookmark lists look very cool..will be great for area geocaching socities; for example, must-visit caches for area visitors (polls to decide?), caches that need adoption / maintenance... some good possibilities there!

A premium member could offer to own and maintain these lists on behalf of their local group, and the group's website could link to the lists.

thanks to this thread, now i really "get" the bookmark thing. i'll definitely use it for a "to do" list. i'll also do a summer list for the outer banks and a winter list for the pa mountains. unfortunately, i may need to make one of those dnf lists, too. thanks for making this concept more clear to this terminology-deficient cacher, and thanks for the great ideas on how to use it!

-denali, the slow

You could create a list of 1 cache. This cache would be something particular that you wanted to make a list about. For example...your first cache...or your 100th cache...or your first 5* cache...or something even more imaginative.

Then you send the link to your list to your best friend. They take that list (of one) and add a single cache that fits the theme/criteria to it in a new list (of two now).

Then they send the link to that list to one other friend....

See how big the list gets until it becomes circular or reaches the maximum.

You could make a list of all the caches that continually have maintenance problems in your area.

You could list all of the caches that suck for whatever reason you want.

You could make a list of caches that create a specific path on a map that when drawn out would spell the numbers necessary to solve a puzzle cache of your own creation.

In another thread, Maingray contributed the following additional ideas for using bookmark lists:

The bookmark lists look very cool..will be great for area geocaching socities; for example, must-visit caches for area visitors (polls to decide?), caches that need adoption / maintenance... some good possibilities there!

A premium member could offer to own and maintain these lists on behalf of their local group, and the group's website could link to the lists.

I've already mentioned this to our local group (GGA).

They have an account that they use for posting monthly events and it would be great if they created a bookmark list of caches that have won our annual Outstanding Caches awards.

Only problem I forsee is that it might not be a premium member.

Kenneth

Edited by kennethpruett
You could make a list of caches that create a specific path on a map that when drawn out would spell the numbers necessary to solve a puzzle cache of your own creation.

Oooh, I like this... let's run with it.

There's a puzzle cache in Pittsburgh that requires you to find three caches whose coordinates will, when placed along the arc of a perfect circle, point the way to this cache at the centerpoint of the circle. You have to figure out which three caches are used. I can't solve it, of course, but it gives me an idea based on bookmark lists. It is sort of the opposite of that puzzle cache.

The cache page would say, go to this shared bookmark list. Download the waypoints and plot them. Figure out what they mean. They could make a shape, spell out a word or number, point an arrow, etc.

Edited by The Leprechauns
Only problem I forsee is that it might not be a premium member.

Yeah, our GGA Admin account is not a premium member. Maybe that is something an association could decide about. Would that be a worthwhile use of an association's funds? Only the members could decide. (Unless the site wants to "comp" the association's admin account, hint hint, nudge nudge :rolleyes: )

It has been fun looking through all the old caches I've visited and adding them to the lists. I have one for virtual caches and one for any cache with a container (multi, puzzle, traditional, whatever).

I've been thinking about one for those great caches I've visited that have since been archived.

Pardon me, since I haven't experimented with the bookmark feature other than clicking on the link to see what happens.

But... er, what does it do? It seems I don't get an email if someone logs a bookmarked cache.

Is it basically just a "folder" for caches? And you can share this folder if you want, it sounds.

Jamie

Pardon me, since I haven't experimented with the bookmark feature other than clicking on the link to see what happens.

But... er, what does it do? It seems I don't get an email if someone logs a bookmarked cache.

Is it basically just a "folder" for caches? And you can share this folder if you want, it sounds.

Jamie

Something like that Jamie. I'd say it was more like a "list".

You can have a list of caches you thought were the best.

You can have a list of caches you plan to do soon.

You can have a list of caches you hope to do one day.

You can have a list of caches you had DNF's on.

ETC ETC ETC.

And you can share these lists.

There is currently one "special" list - the "Ignore List" and you can NOT share that one. (I can understand why it's defaulted to no share, but why shouldn't somebody be able to share if they truly WANTED to?)

There are plans for a top 5% (or was it 10%) or "Favorites". This will possibly add an icon on cache pages that say "X cachers have placed this in their Favorites" list.

There are also possibilites for other "special" lists but those haven't been announced and/or coded yet.

------

On a related note, using some of the code or similar code, will be "Buddy Lists" but Jeremy hasn't said much more about those.

I'm sure you've read about some of this stuff here and there on the forums.

southdeltan

Anyone who remembers Dan's Leaderboard will remember the ability to look at another users DNF logs. I used to love to read some of the madcap adventures of some people.

My DNF logs are usually kept short without any excuses for not finding the cache, but now thanks to the Bookmark list, I can add a small description.

It would be nice if everyone created a DNF list or if there was a way to look at another cachers DNF logs.

Edited by cachew nut

The idea for a DNF list is great! Thank goodness Jeremy took my suggestion and bumped the maximum size for a bookmark list from 50 to 100 entries, or I couldn't list all my DNF's! I'll build that when time permits. I agree, they are often the most interesting logs and there's no other way to access them.

As for accessing bookmark lists, I've replaced the long list of favorite caches on my profile page with a short link to my bookmark list. I've freed up tons of room on my profile for other information, like improving my map displays.

I also built a list last night containing possible caches for a big trip this weekend, and I sent a link via private message to the two other geocachers I'll be going out with. Now we can easily discuss which caches on the list are "must-do's" and which ones can be ruled out.

There is currently one "special" list - the "Ignore List" and you can NOT share that one.  (I can understand why it's defaulted to no share, but why shouldn't somebody be able to share if they truly WANTED to?)

If you really wanted to share your Ignore list, couldn't you just make a regular list called "Caches I'm ignoring", and fill it with all the same caches as are on your real Ignore list, and make that new list shareable?

Two ideas I came up with that are kind of related because they use the notes feature:

1) Puzzle caches I have done. With notes on actual coords etc.

2) Multi-caches I am in the middle of. Notes for stage locations etc.

I may also create bookmarks for all of the caches I have done with notes on them. Have to break this up into Finds 1 to 100, 101 to 200 (when I get there). Not all caches require notes, but maybe just a little hint to help me remember the cache.

When I travel, I try to contact a local cacher to clue me in on the great caches. When I am working, or worse dealing with family, getting out to do one or two caches is how I reward myself. I get really miffed :ph34r: when I find that I have just wasted my precious one or two caches looking for lamp posts at Wally World.

Now I can ask cachers if they have an "out of towner" list. :P

I am using the list to put together caches that are in English for an upcoming trip to the Netherlands. Now I have a convienient place to put the notes that come to me from local cachers.

Thanks Jeremy

If bookmarked lists are a MO feature, why does the link to add to a bookmarked list show up for me?

Consider it as a subtle nag screen. I color coded the Premium Member buttons.

Thanks Jeremy! At least someone could actually answer my question. :mad:

Keep up the good work - even if it does include 'nagging' me.

but I am not a premium member and I just created 3 bookmark lists for the heck of it.

Why did it work? :mad: maybe I'll try to do a pocket query now :D

You can easily share your ignored caches list with others.....just add them to a boommark list entitled "caches to be ignored" before you mark it as ignored.

I think.

edit...speiling

This does make sense, but it seems to be entirely unnecessary. If someone wants to share their ignore list, they should be able to uncheck the box. If they think they can deal with any potential flack, they should be allowed to do it without having to make a special bookmark list of duplicate entries.

sd

You could use it when you have an event where a bunch of caches are hidden just for the event.

I like the idea of dog friendly caches because of all the times I had to abort because Buddy wasn't allowed in.

On the egotistical side, I put together a list of my dozen or so covered bridge caches for people who like doing these kind. I was thinking of putting the link of the cache pages (I did it on one)but my concious says that might be over doing it so that's all I did. OK tell the truth, who else thought of this? :huh:

Actually if your a cache theme type of hider, this isn't such a bad idea - to let others know which ones they are. You could also group them out into specific parks so someone can easily know which ones they are for a one day assault, or similar length of hikes, or high peaks hikes, or water hazard types, or whatever. That would give people who like finding your caches an easy way to see them in types.

Better functionality for "sharing" bookmark lists is promised as a future improvement of the bookmark feature. In the meantime, adding links to your shared lists is easy -- put a link on your profile page, in your forum signature, or both. (See mine as an example!)

Or, for "less public" shared lists, just send the link via e-mail to the cachers who need the information. Recently, I put together a list of targeted caches for myself and two other geocachers who all met up to hunt together for a day. The pre-hunt version included all the possible caches we might visit. Then after I got home, I edited the bookmark list to include just the caches we actually found. It made it very easy for the other two geocachers to log their finds.

Edited by The Leprechauns
I have a list for I-95 Caches and even 'shared' it, but how does anyone learn about it?

Alot of users are posting them to their user profile for people to get.

We have a cacher here in GA asking about a bookmark list for I95 caches.

They could sure use yours.

I"m gonna let them know your ID, so if you can get it on your profile page, they can grab it.

Otherwise, maybe they will email you asking for the URL.

Kenneth

I made my first bookmark list yesterday. :D

I was home sick, and spent some time plotting the caches along the route from here to JAX for GW3. Most are either on I-95 or a short hop off from what I could glean from the maps. The may have been an easier way with selective PQ's, but I had time to kill and actually enjoyed scrolling along the maps, zooming in/out depending on cache density of an area. Would the PQ method have opted out of the ones that didn't have an easy exit/entry to the interstate? One or two seemed directly under it, with no easy access. The cache page made it pretty clear too.

I'll have to check out those I-95 lists, and see how they compare to mine.