Gc.com's New Look

sbell111

OK...I already hate it. I was just finishing about 15 minutes of work on submitting a cache for approval and I got a server error. I lost all my work. Grrrrrrrr :mad::huh:

Sorry about that. We do suggest doing it offline and posting your finished results into the site, but I'm sure that's no small comfort.

If it happens again I'll grab a screenshot.

Paul

It happened again.

gc.jpg

You can repeat this by going to a long cache page (one that requires scrolling), then Option click refresh to force the new images to be reloaded (not to come from Safari's cache), then scroll the web page while it is loading.

That might seem like a lot, but it happen the very first time I went to the new site. I didn't need to option click since they were coming in from the server, and I scrolled down to check the logs before the entire page had loaded.

Second comment:

It's a pity that visible background is now far less - this had contributed a lot to the cache "feeling"...

BS/2

Hmm... Good point. I may reduce the width to a lower percentage to allow more greenspace to show up. I was just trying to maximize the viewing area for smaller browsers.

OK...I already hate it. I was just finishing about 15 minutes of work on submitting a cache for approval and I got a server error. I lost all my work. Grrrrrrrr  :mad:  :huh:

Sorry about that. We do suggest doing it offline and posting your finished results into the site, but I'm sure that's no small comfort.

My bitterness was short lived. I got the cache all fixed. Just took a few more minutes of work.

The new look is...different, but isn't that the definition of change? I really like the resources link on the left menu. Lots of good info quickly accessable from there. Anyways, keep up the good work!

Awesome. I haven't really spent a lot of time with it, but overall I like the cleaner look and more efficient use of visual real estate. Thanks for all of your hard work on the site! I'm sure you'll get a lot of gripes, bits o' constructive criticism, and bug reports, but rest assured that we all appreciate the effort!

:mad:

Just more curious than anything.

I like how the pictures on the home page rotate.  Are those pictures picked randomnly from all the pictures in your database or did you pick just specific pictures?

It's not random. The pictures are selected to be featured on the front page in a rotation. It's a great way to see cool images and keep the front page "fresh."

In the future, I hope that Jeremy considers a voting mechanism or other type of contest/nomination process for users to submit outstanding gallery photos for use on the front page. Sort of like the voting for the Yellow Jeep Travel Bug photos.

Edited by The Leprechauns
There isn't any 'log delay' on TBs is there?

Just clicking the Found it? Log it! link gives me

Post a new log

Sorry, you can't write a new log for this listing

TB: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...e3-ada20107c08e

I was able to log in and out my Personal TB just fine.

OOOh... Good to know it's not just my new account.

Obviously an error with the entire site.

When is this going to be fixed?

Awesome! :mad: Went out to grab a nearby cache, came back to post a log, and things were... different. Only thing I've noticed so far is that it seems that the image shown when you mouse over the "hide and seek" link on anything other than the main page (the little 50x50 one to the right of the Groundspeak logo) doesn't seem to work- it just shows the 4-color geocaching logo that is supposed to be displayed when the mouse isn't over any link. It could be intentional, but I doubt it since it's the only one in the set that is in color.

One question- where can I view/edit the ignore list? I ignored a cache just to test it out, and hopefully the cache isn't removed from view permanently...

Awesome! :mad: Went out to grab a nearby cache, came back to post a log, and things were... different. Only thing I've noticed so far is that it seems that the image shown when you mouse over the "hide and seek" link on anything other than the main page (the little 50x50 one to the right of the Groundspeak logo) doesn't seem to work- it just shows the 4-color geocaching logo that is supposed to be displayed when the mouse isn't over any link. It could be intentional, but I doubt it since it's the only one in the set that is in color.

One question- where can I view/edit the ignore list? I ignored a cache just to test it out, and hopefully the cache isn't removed from view permanently...

A new bookmark list is created for you. Look at your account page, then manage bookmarks. It should be listed there.

Hmm... Good point. I may reduce the width to a lower percentage to allow more greenspace to show up. I was just trying to maximize the viewing area for smaller browsers.

Sorry, Jeremy, for posting this issue on the wrong board before :huh: ! I'd really like it if you would consider reducing the width back to where it was on the cache page so I can still utilize my limited HTML body background skills. Thanks for considering :mad: !

Your answer is in the first question in the pinned topic for Bookmark Lists. If you have any questions on that feature you can ask them there.

Doh! I was so busy admiring the new look that I didn't realize the bookmarks feature had been activated. I see it now, thanks!

I'd really like it if you would  consider reducing the width back to where it was on the cache page

I wouldn't go *THAT* far. The percentages used on the old site were a horrendous waste of space. The percentages used now are good, IMO, but somewhere in between might be ok.

Great new look. Maybe it was just my setup, but I had GC.com as my start page and it was bookmarked to www.geocaching.com/default.aspx. That kept bringing up the old site. Then when I clicked on something it would bring up the new site. Had me going for a few minutes, so if you had the site bookmarked and get the old site while everyone is talking about the new site, make sure you go to www.geocaching.com and nothing else. Hope this helps someone. :mad:

I'd really like it if you would  consider reducing the width back to where it was on the cache page so I can still utilize my limited HTML body background skills. 

Ditto! I too would love to see the background size changed back to it's previous size!

Otherwise I really like all of the new changes! I especially like the book marks and the "ignore" features! Awesome! :mad:

Edited by TheGeoGoes

The new look is great, and the ignore list a blessing. Thank you!

I noticed a couple of minor things that seem to be abnormal.

There is now a hierarchical menu at the very top of the screen. From the quick view if I click on the Member Features link the hierarchical menu says that I am currently viewing Benchmarks Logged.

Similarly the Travel Bugs link says that I am viewing Geocaches Owned/Found

Minor details though.