Bookmark And Ignore Lists

Jeremy

I really like the Bookmark feature and have some great lists atttached to my cache pages. But is there a way to get an unwanted list off your owned cache pages other than asking the list owner to make it private? I can see how abuses might occur...

<_< Yes SLP is not Smiling Being Happy with a Bad Bookmark on My Cache page that puts a bad light on me and cachers who log or looks at my cache page. Does anyone know how to remove these bookmarks???Any help would be appreciated Thanks!

Keep Smiling Being Happy :lol:

Edited by Smiling Little Perch

Not sure if this is the place for this suggestion, or if it has been discussed in the past...

I am interested, and I know some of my gc buddies are too, in a "bookmark list" of geocaching users. Create a list of gc.com users that appears on the right of the home page with their find count. Click on it and you get their profile. If they are on your list, you get an email when they log a visit to a cache, etc.

Anyone else like the idea? Any other suggestions along this idea?

Kevin

Not sure if this is the place for this suggestion, or if it has been discussed in the past...

I am interested, and I know some of my gc buddies are too, in a "bookmark list" of geocaching users. Create a list of gc.com users that appears on the right of the home page with their find count. Click on it and you get their profile. If they are on your list, you get an email when they log a visit to a cache, etc.

Anyone else like the idea? Any other suggestions along this idea?

Kevin

Not so much a bookmark list as it is a buddy list. Jeremy has talked for a while about creating buddy lists, but I would think he's been focusing resources on Caches Along a Route. I'm pretty sure this is on the "to do" list.

Here's a recent post by Jeremy

Edited by Markwell

Part of the Bookmark List feature is the ignore feature, which allows you to remove a listing from appearing on your search results page when you filter by found/owned caches (and in pocket queries).

Sweet I have always wanted to get rid of a few of those puzzle caches that I will never slove of my search.

Jeremy,

Who do I contact regarding the current bookmark lists that Do Not Work correctly? How can that/those person/persons be reached?

Currently, as several posters have mentioned, bookmark lists do not work without painstaking manipulation of refresh, changing and then changing back the number of bookmarks displayed per page, going completely out of the bookmark list of interest and returning to it.

It seems that if I only have 20 bookmarks per list (NOT the 500 allowed) and do not ever intend to page through the list, it works perfectly fine! There are several used cars that work perfectly fine while idling in the driveway. They too are useless when you put them in gear (in much the same way that Bookmark Lists are useless when you put them to use.)

Is Anyone working on this problem?

I have it on my list of things to "figure out why it only happens to certain people" list.

-Raine

So You're the Guy whose salary I am paying to work on these things! I feel like I'm (finally) getting somewhere!!! I am glad to see that my monthly $2.75 is being put to good use!

How about a different approach? Yet only slightly different. If it doesn't work for some people, it doesn't work. Software that only works some of the time has bugs. Most likely those bugs come from assumptions about how it will be used. I would suggest that someone see how it is being used, through testing, gather data, blah, blah, blah.

I would be more than happy to let gc.com see what I am doing. Do you have a way you can observe? Something I could turn on when I'm bookmarking and off when I'm done?

What about suggesting certain upgrades for standardization?

Some helpful information: I personally am using a cordless keyboard. I have seen that there are times when I miss characters. Could I also be missing control characters, maybe something filtered or altered by the cordless keyboard that tells the bookmarks how to respond?

In a nutshell, the number of listings I get per page seem to be slow in resonding. If I chance the number, it continues using the previous setting. Often, it starts with a different number than I have listed and requires both a change in the number listed per page and a refresh. I usually just choose 10, then 25, then 50, but when I go to different pages, it often lags, showing me the last page I viewed. Lately though, it has improved. I usually bulk delete from the highest listed pages first, then working my way down. Starting on page 1 and deleting a listing usually does not update the page of listings promptly.

It does seem to be acting better through time, so someone is making headway.

Thanks so much for the reply.

I went through this thread, but may have missed this question? how about showing that i have found a cache (with the check mark) on my bookmarks? I just went back to one that we completed about half of last weekend, but now i have to manually figure out which ones i did.

I feel that our "found" caches should be indicated in several places. It could be as simple as a little red checkmark, located at appropriate places, that shows Us that we have found this particular cache. On the cache page itself, in bookmark lists, etc. It should be a simple thing to do since this is one huge database.

After you find several caches that sometimes share similar names, it gets difficult to know for certain if we have found a certain cache. Lets say that its been a year since I found GCWXYZ cache that now has several posts on top of mine. I see the top page, but no indication that I have found it is present.

Maybe there should be a specific place where a little icon appears: found by me, owned by me, bookmarked, ignored, etc.

You would think this would be a Basic part of any cache page.

Saturday, September 9, 2006

I know that I asked this not too far up the thread, but (even though there were a couple replies) I never got a response ...

Jeremy,

Who do I contact regarding the current bookmark lists that Do Not Work correctly? How can that/those person/persons be reached?

I LOVE the bookmarks lists, but fail to see how useful a list is that can contain 500 items, but will only list the first 20.

If I had a reputable contact inside geocaching.com, I have several worthwhile suggestions for bookmarking. I would list them here, but ...

LifeOnEdge!

Frustrated as All-Get-Out in Waco, Texas

I LOVE the bookmarks lists, but fail to see how useful a list is that can contain 500 items, but will only list the first 20.

There are countless threads all through the forums about this problem. I'm sure TPTB are aware of the problem and have it on their list. Eventually it will bubble to the top and get fixed :ph34r:

Hopefully in my lifetime :ph34r:

I was wondering how to make a new bookmark list. I was only able to reedit a old bookmark list. When I reedited the old list and renamed it, I was able to delete the old caches and add in my new ones and thus create a new list. This new list now has the very important "add bookmark" button. But when I go to the manage bookmark page, I can create a bookmark-edit the words but I can't add geocaches to make a list. The "add bookmark" button is missing.

Thanks in advance