Bookmark And Ignore Lists

Jeremy

I notice on my bookmark page that I can download a loc file for marked caches.  I would much rather get a gpx file.  Is this in the works?

From the very first post in this thread:

Can I create a Pocket Query of bookmark lists?

Yes. We will be adding that functionality in the future when we implement Attribute searches. This is currently not a feature, however.

Patience, grasshopper. :ph34r:

Any way of including in bookmark emails the name of the bookmark list that triggered the email, and/or a link to it? As it is now, all you know is that it came from some bookmark list.

Yes, please.

Right now we can tell the difference between watchlists and bookmarks, but when watchlists become included in bookmarks. we lose that bit of information.

Please, please, tell us which bookmark triggered the message. ;)

What do we do if someone posts an offensive comment?

There's already been one case discussed in the forums where a user left an offensive comment on someone's bookmark list, through use of the feedback procedure. I guess the "rater" didn't notice the warning that the website tracks feedback by account name, in order to prevent abuse. As I recall, the offensive remark was deleted by a website admin.

If this has happened to you or someone you know, write an e-mail to the "contact at geocaching dot com" e-mail address, explaining the problem and including a link to the bookmark list in question.

If this is happening with any frequency, it strengthens my opposition to a wide-open 'rate this cache, from terrible to excellent' feature.

BUG Report - Found a bug on the length permitted for "comments" on each individual listing....

Actually, before I get to the bug report, I want to extend a big THANK YOU to the implementers at geocaching.com for implementing this cool new feature! I really like the bookmark lists!

THANK YOU!

That said, I have found a bug:

Individual bookmarks in the bookmark list claim to have a permitted "comments" length of 1,000 characters, and the form that permits the entry of the "comments" does indeed permit up to 1,000 characters. However, it appears that only the first 500 characters of the entered "comments" are actually stored. If I had to guess, I'd say the form allows 1,000 characters, but the back-end database only accepts 500.

The above works just fine for the comment field for the bookmark list itself; it's only the individual entries that have the problem. If this description is confusing, it may be easier to look at a sample list that demonstrates the problem.

If this could be fixed, I'll be very grateful! (Plus, I'll feel downright happy about renewing my membership again next year -- well, as long as I can still have fun on the new implementation of locationless caches!)

Cache owners, and seekers for that matter, should be made aware of how many are ignoring just like they are already aware of how many watching. Would love to see the ignore number right there on the cache page along with the watching number.

It might help filter out caches I might rather avoid or for sure at least read past logs to see why people have a prob with the cache.

Nope. There are too many reasons to ignore a cache. Few of them actually mean the cache is bad.

That why one would be prompted to read the logs for further info and make a decision from there. It would be a valued assistant for me. If a lot of people are going to ignore a particular cache, there's probably a good reason that will be mentioned in the logs.

I went to a new cache today that the first three loggers have walked away from. Granted, this one is new, but a few weeks down the road if future cachers notices ignores piling up they might be prompted to check the logs before wasting gas $$$ getting there.

And maybe, just maybe, a bunch of ignores might prompt a cache hider to investigate why on their own. It would be constructive feedback no matter which of the many reasons a cache might be ignored, many of them valid and in no way an indicator that a cache is 'bad'.

If a lot of people are going to ignore a particular cache, there's probably a good reason that will be mentioned in the logs.

Actually, probably not. If there's a cache that, for example, requires rock climbing skills, I may ignore it to free up a slot in my GPX file, but I'm certainly not going to take time and effort to actually post a log explaining that fact.

If you haven't noticed, the trend is to not display these numbers. Notice that with the new Bookrmark Lists, you can watch a cache, and there's no indication of it on the cache page.

Question asked and answered:

Would be a good idea to add something into the "Ignore List" so that you can see the status of a cache in that list? (AKA Archived/Disabled/Active)?

The current challenge with this is that the data for travel bugs, benchmarks and caches are all in different areas of the database. Once I merge everything into its own table I'll be able to provide a status on the bookmark page.

Currently the bookmark page is standalone, just like how your bookmarks on your browser don't know if the site is down or up.

Question re-asked and answered in February

So, currently, there's no way to have a dynamic link between the listed cache in your bookmark to be able to look up the status of the cache and determine if it's disabled (with a single blue line through it) or archived (red text with a single red line through it) as it shows up on the search results page.

Is that right?

Yes. There is no (current) way to do this. It is, however, planned.

Since I'm sure many are migrating their watchlists over to the more powerful bookmarks, I would assume this would be a higher priority. Any chance of pushing this up a little?

Can you add an "add to list" button on the search results page?

This is a great idea for adding "todo list" items and I'm looking into an implementation of this feature.

I've just now gotten around to trying out the bookmark function an any serious way, and I'm using it to create lists of caches I'll want to print later, to find on a trip I'm taking.

I realized very quickly that rather than having to look at each cache page and then bookmark it, it would be great if I could be looking at a list in the CG.COM maps page, or on the search page, and then check off the ones I'm interested in, and send them in a bulk package to my bookmark list.

Is this function any closer to reality than it was in FEB.

WSR

Hi,

It may have been suggested before, but what about being able to download my bookmarks as a GPX file instead of a LOC file.

The GPX can then be imported into GSAK and then uploaded to cachemate etc. The LOC file lacks the required info, cache notes etc.

My idea was to put the caches in a bookmark list that I intend to do on my next cache hunt and then just before I leave, download the GPX file.

Pocket queries are ok if you are caching in the same area, but not if you to cache along a route.

Thanks…Gary (KiwiGary)

I continue to enjoy the bookmark list feature, and consider myself a "power user." Can't wait to see things like pocket queries for bookmark lists!

I'd like to report a minor bug. When I receive an e-mail notification of a log entry on a cache that I've bookmarked, the message includes links to the cache, the person writing the log, and to the bookmark list. But the link for the bookmark list takes me to the page where I would edit the main text entry for the bookmark list, like "These are caches which I've DNF'd but hope to get back to." That isn't very useful, as it is unlikely that I would edit the entire list description in response to a single log entry. It would be better, I think, if the e-mail linked me to the page where I could view the bookmark list itself. I could then scroll down, find the cache that just had the log entry, and either edit or delete my entry in response to the new information.

Sorry if this has been asked, but can I upload other items to a bookmarklist like you can a cache?

I want to create a bike trail, using a bookmark. I was going upload the track, upload picture of the of the track, and then of course text about the bike trail, how long it is, etc. Finall add all the caches. Afterwards you'd have a nice bike trail for an morning of caches.

One thing I can't figure out how to do is upload the track, or jpeg of my trail. Only idea I could come up with was to hide my own geocache along the trail, then upload the jpeg and track there. Then in the textbox for the bookmark list, include the HTML to link in the other items.

Would this work? Is there a better way to do it?

Thanks,

David

Sorry if this has been asked, but can I upload other items to a bookmarklist like you can a cache?

I want to create a bike trail, using a bookmark. I was going upload the track, upload picture of the of the track, and then of course text about the bike trail, how long it is, etc. Finall add all the caches. Afterwards you'd have a nice bike trail for an morning of caches.

One thing I can't figure out how to do is upload the track, or jpeg of my trail. Only idea I could come up with was to hide my own geocache along the trail, then upload the jpeg and track there. Then in the textbox for the bookmark list, include the HTML to link in the other items.

Would this work? Is there a better way to do it?

Thanks,

David

That's a really cool idea. We have been considering these types of features for the Waymarking site for a while (but documenting the world takes a lot of software development work). Since both sites use the same code we'll be providing these types of features in the future. But sadly in the meantime you'll have to link to this type of information.

Hello Jeremy and geocaching community!

I'm an Austrian geocacher, active for 1.5 yrs now, and planning to become a premium member.

But before doing this step I'd like to get some additional answers <_< concerning bookmark lists:

-) AFAIK (and tried out with my girlfriends PM-account) I can combine the public and the shared flag.

Public / shared : visible on a bookmarked cache, shareable

not public / shared: not visible, can be watched by another user

not public / not shared: just for personal use

but what about public / not shared ??

Has this any usage ?

Also I've seen that a cache-owner has no possibility to prevent getting / being on an unwanted public / shared bookmark lists. Is there a possibility to prevent getting on a bookmark list, like a flag that can be set when editing the cache-listing ? Or can one just whine at the gc-admins ?

Just imagine a shared bookmarklsit called i.e. "jewish caches". Many people may like the possibility, but also the danger of wreaking havoc at such caches by, lets say unfriendly cachers can be considerable.

I'd like to get an additional switch to prevent gettign added to unwanted lists, without the need of intervention by a sysadmin.

Yours, Martin

Is there any way I can take a completed bookmark list I have created, and permanently assign ownership of it to someone else, thus putting it forever under control of their account and removing it permanently from mine?

For example I would like to transfer my bookmark list "MCP's Not JustaFilmCannisters" (http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=eed11beb-82f9-4779-b37c-1b2c8d11874c) to the permanent ownership of Mrs. Captain Picard. She agrees to the transfer.

Thanks...

… Also I've seen that a cache-owner has no possibility to prevent getting / being on an unwanted public / shared bookmark lists. Is there a possibility to prevent getting on a bookmark list, like a flag that can be set when editing the cache-listing ? Or can one just whine at the gc-admins ?

hi long term cacher. ;-))

are madame c. asking you posting this questions?

happy hunting - the old fashioned way (trads only, exceptions may appear)

nb: scheint recht viel föhn bei euch zu sein. :rolleyes:

edit: grammar

Edited by HHL
… [snip]Is there a possibility to prevent getting on a bookmark list, like a flag that can be set when editing the cache-listing ? Or can one just whine at the gc-admins ?

hi long term cacher. ;-))

are madame c. asking you posting this questions?

happy hunting - the old fashioned way (trads only, exceptions may appear)

nb: scheint recht viel föhn bei euch zu sein. :P

edit: grammar

ad longterm cacher: I think I don't take this as a compliment, so I'm gonna ignore it :D ..

ad madame c.. Either be less arcane, or use private mail, right ?

the potential problems were discussed in the austrian gc-forum, and I tried all possible switch combinations afterwards.

Why are you asking ? IS there already a kind of bookmark-based harassement going on ? DO the approvers / admins / whoever ignore this ?

BTW: Better refine your grammar even further, 'cause "madame c." asks for the 3rd person, not the 1st one, as you surely remember *grin*

greetz, Martin

NB:Wo bei 8°C und Hochnebel Föhn sein soll, geht mir ned' wirklich ein...

Why are you asking ? IS there already a kind of bookmark-based harassement going on ? DO the approvers / admins / whoever ignore this ?

So far this "problem" is purely hypothetical. Until Jeremy sees a widespread problem of this sort, it's doubtful he will put resources into fixing something that ain't broke.

So far this "problem" is purely hypothetical. Until Jeremy sees a widespread problem of this sort, it's doubtful he will put resources into fixing something that ain't broke.

I'm not that sure, as you seem to be. Maybe a "madame c." is already being harrassed by another wannabe-power-cacher ? And has asked for advice or even *help* ? So much to the pure hypothetical case.

Maybe he/she has asked HHL ? Who knows ? But everything is possible in these strange days, when things are a'changin...

I like the look and feel of the new design.  One suggestion for the ignore list - would it be possible to check a large number of caches to ignore at one time.  Something similiar to the waypoint checkbox that appears on the search page.

The short answer is yes. We'll be providing a feature to bulk add a bunch of waypoints to a list that is similar to what you described :lol:

Any updates on this feature? And, would it be possible to have a larger-than-100-caches "Ignore" list, perchance? There's an entire series I'd like to be able to ignore - and it's currently over 400 caches, with no signs of stopping.

Thanks very much for these lists, in any case! These are fantabulous!

I just started setting up some bookmarks. I set up a 'did not find' list to track those little buggers. When I went back to the caches pages on the list I saw a notice on the lower right side of the page showing it on my bookmark list. I havent shared the list, so I am the only one seeing this right?

I have a list with more than 71 bookmarks.  If there are more than 71 bookmars the direction and distance is missing.  Bug or feature  :laughing:

example

That's interesting. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll look into it.

Here's my snapshot:

29ed2539-01e4-4da2-b1c2-7e1a741b7dcd.jpg

Also noticed that at the point where it leaves off the distance and direction, it stops being interactive for marking caches disabled and/or archived.

It's like at the 71 point it reverts back to the non-integrated bookmarks (i.e. generation 1).

I have a list with more than 71 bookmarks.  If there are more than 71 bookmars the direction and distance is missing.  Bug or feature  :lol:

example

That's interesting. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll look into it.

Also noticed that at the point where it leaves off the distance and direction, it stops being interactive for marking caches disabled and/or archived.

It's like at the 71 point it reverts back to the non-integrated bookmarks (i.e. generation 1).

This was an interesting bug to sort out. The issue was that the database was truncating the list of waypoints it was supposed to return back to the page. I made an adjustment to the database query and it should be working fine now.

I checked the example and it looks fine :lol:

Sorry it took so long. I had to have a quiet time to do some zen meditating to figure this one out.

I love the idea of the Ignore List...and was pleased to spend a good bit of time this morning composing mine. It was then that I read that these caches can only be excluded with the use of pocket queries. Most often, I choose caches...laboriously...along a route. So, I frequently use the mapping feature. Is there any plan to be able to use the Ignore List along with a regular search...not advanced or pocket query?

Thanks!

Hello Jeremy and other developers of GC.COM website

Using Bookmark listings for planning cacheroute's and presenting it to my friends it would suggest to append the GCcode into each Bookmark List entry,

Why?

because in the comment area of the listentries i give additional important information from the cachepage itsself. The GCcode is a leading code when it's downloaded to the GPSr.

So it's possible to make one page with all the neccesary information about several caches you want to do. By caching outdoor i need only one simple page the bookmarkpage of the caches i planned to do. It helps when the GCcode is automatically placed before the description to refer the waypoint in the GPS

Current situation (example) GCCode is GC78F3 :

TimeSlice

i suggest to make GCCode as a prefix

GC78F3, Timeslice.

a possible, simply and welcome function

'Team Kleijn'

Rob

Edited by "Team Kleijn"