Bookmark And Ignore Lists

Jeremy

Now that I have tried these new lists I really like them... but as people never are happy with what they have, I suggest a few additional features:

- Only Ignore list items should be removed from 'Nearest caches, finds filtered' page.

- A 'Bulk Add' button to cache search lists, that would add all checked caches to a list.

- A 'Move To List' button (or maybe 'Copy') on the Bookmark page, that would move a cache I just visited from my 'ToDo' list to 'Visited' list.

- Easier way to share lists than listing URLs in a regional forum.

- Since number of lists is limited to 10, they could have a shortcut dropdown list always visible under left side menu items.

- If we had a base map, I'd wish for a map that shows all caches in a list on a single (auto zoomed) map. But as we don't have any map data, that'd be quite useless. Maybe U.S. cachers would like this ;)

Very nice! Thanks!

More suggestions/questions...

When you look at someone else's shared bookmark list, can you copy that list into a new bookmark list of your own, or merge it into an existing bookmark list of your own?

When you implement bookmark searches into pocket queries, will you be able to select multiple bookmarks so they merge together into a single PQ?

Also, could we create a PQ by entering in the URL of someone else's shared bookmarks?

Where this would be useful is if I'm going out on a big cache weekend with a group, everyone could make a list of caches they want to hit, then one person could create a new list and merge everyone else's list (one by one) into a new, master to-do list. He could then share that merged list with everyone else who could create PQs for themselves.

The new features are great, but I have two questions:

Is there an easy way to convert your watchlist into a watched bookmark list?

And what about watched travel bugs? Is it possible to have a list for them too, so you can turn email notification on and off for the whole list? ;)

Cornix

What is an Ignore List?

It is a list of items you want to ignore on your search results and pocket queries. When you filter your hides and finds on the advanced search page it will filter them out from the results. You will still see them on standard searches.

I really like the website enhancements and the new look. Thanks, Jeremy, and all at Groundspeak! :P

I have read the original post here, and all through this thread, and the other threads about the Ignore feature. I have explored the Bookmarks and Ignore features, but I still have a couple questions.

Is there a bulk select feature or a way to simultaneously add ALL caches placed by a particular cacher to the Ignore List? ;)

Or is the only way to click through a couple hundred of that cacher's pages and add each one individually? ;)

Any help or 'Markwells' on this would be much appreciated. Thanks. :P

I had to send my GPSr in for repairs yesterday, and I'm glad I'm able to read all about the VERY COOL new features!

I love the Ignore List, and will have to play with the rest of the stuff until I get my Vista back. It'll keep me busy...

~~Not as bummed as I could have been.~~

I created a DNF list and then noticed these caches are no longer included in my "filtered" list.

I've noticed this has come up a couple of times and I haven't seen a response yet. Is this how it is supposed to work? I would think I would want bookmarked caches on my "filtered" list, assuming I haven't found them or own them (or ignored them).

Is it a bug or feature?

Would be a good idea to add something into the "Ignore List" so that you can see the status of a cache in that list? (AKA Archived/Disabled/Active)?

One thing I believe many people would use the ignore list for is to remove inactive caches from their nearest finds page. If the cache's status is readily visible from the "Ignore List", it makes it easy to maintain when disabled caches either are reactivated or permanently archived.

Even color coding the cache name would work for this.

I created a DNF list and then noticed these caches are no longer included in my "filtered" list.

I've noticed this has come up a couple of times and I haven't seen a response yet. Is this how it is supposed to work? I would think I would want bookmarked caches on my "filtered" list, assuming I haven't found them or own them (or ignored them).

Is it a bug or feature?

I fixed this. I was filtering on all your bookmarks before. Sorry about that.

Also I reset Pocket Queries. It was not aware of the new search option.

Is there an easy way to convert your watchlist into a watched bookmark list?

Yes. Still working on that but the new system has been designed to support your original watchlist. I just had to stop at some point and release what I had.

And what about watched travel bugs?  Is it possible to have a list for them too, so you can turn email notification on and off for the whole list?

Yes. You will be able to watch anything at some point. In fact you will be able to have one list with a benchmark, travel bug, and a geocache on it if you decided.

Would be a good idea to add something into the "Ignore List" so that you can see the status of a cache in that list? (AKA Archived/Disabled/Active)?

The current challenge with this is that the data for travel bugs, benchmarks and caches are all in different areas of the database. Once I merge everything into its own table I'll be able to provide a status on the bookmark page.

Currently the bookmark page is standalone, just like how your bookmarks on your browser don't know if the site is down or up.

Is it a bug or feature?

I don't see any change in the operation. I have a cache in my Nearest Not Found list. In another browser window I add that cache to a bookmark list called 'test' (not Ignore list). I hit refresh for my Nearest list and the cache disappears.

Is it a bug or feature?

Also I reset Pocket Queries. It was not aware of the new search option.

Works for me! Thanks, so far I love the new look and the new options!

I know, you're probably overwhelmed with complaints, praise, and feature requests, but here's a suggestion for the lists:

For a cache in a list, include a link to the actual cache log in addition to the cache page. When I bring up someone else's shared list, I think it would be cool to be able to read through their logs, and see why it made e.g. their top 10% finds list. Of course, this would require detecting 1. if the listing pertains to a cache vs. a tb or coin, and 2. detecting whether or not they found the cache. And then, what happens if they found the cache twice (hey, it happens)? But see, that's why you get paid the big bucks. Or something.

Bug or feature?

Some german cachers report that they can create bookmark lists although they are no PMs.

They can't edit these list once they are there - whenever they click on "edit" a new list is created. And they can't delete their lists..  :ph34r:

Same story, and I have just received an auto-email from one of my "listed" (but not "watchlisted") caches.

How do non-PMs turn this off once we've made the mistake of trying to use the new feature?

Edited by Urubu
I'm liking it so far, but there is always room for feature creep improvement, right?  :ph34r:

How about an icon on the cache searches and the actual cache page itself to show when a cache is bookmarked or ignored? This way, if you were not specifically excluding ignored caches in an advanced search, you could see on the search results that you already had a certain cache bookmarked or ignored.

For example:

b4f3ca9d-972d-43cc-a2e4-342ae7fc1130.jpg

I helped hide the 3rd cache down, so I added it to my ignore list since I'm never going to log a find on it. It would be nice to see some sort of visual indication that the cache is already on my ignore list as I'm using the search page.

I think this is a fine idea. It'd be useful for a user to know if he or she has bookmarked or ignored a cache already.

Oh yea - I haven't bookmarked any caches yet (I've ignored quite a few tho) but I heard that bookmarked caches were getting removed from the "nearest unfound" list. I'm sure this is unintended - any word on the status of this "bug".

sd

I too love this idea. Im probably the only premium member who doesnt use pocket queries. I search the listings and would love a color coded shade for my ignore watchlist. Too many caches near me are ones we have not found nor have any intention of finding.

Jeremy,

I found out that I could have benchmark pages bookmarked by 'copy link location' & then pasting it to the bookmark area. This is great to finally have watched benchmarks, since there is still no 'watch or bookmark button' on any of the benchmark pages. (Hint, Hint, Nudge, Nudge)

Granted it takes a little time...but to have the ability of getting emails when one of those 'special marks' has a post will be nice.

Thank you,

Shirley~

I found out that I could have benchmark pages bookmarked by 'copy link location' & then pasting it to the bookmark area. This is great to finally have watched benchmarks, since there is still no 'watch or bookmark button' on any of the benchmark pages. (Hint, Hint, Nudge, Nudge)

Although it may "work" for adding them, I haven't sufficiently tested it so IMO let the linker beware. However that is my ultimate intent.

Edited by Jeremy

Hope this has not been covered already:

When you try to add a cache to your bookmarks, but you haven't created a bookmark list before, an error message is shown. It would be nice to have something more informative instead of a screen which looks similar to the now long forgotten server to busy errors.

Once you create a bookmark list, all is fine. Love the new layout!

So, since shared bookmark lists aren't available for other cachers to discover yet, I summarized mine on my profile page. Is that an approved method of exchanging the urls?

Nudecacher

Nudecacher Bookmark Lists:

Nude Hikes This is just a preliminary work in progress, so check back later for a refined list with comments. I am collecting the local Whatcom and Skagit County caches that are in areas where it is possible to go for nude walks. Contact me if you'd like to join me on one.

Planning List This is a list of caches that I want to work into near term cache outings. If you'd like to join me, send me an email with a proposal.

Skagit 2005feb21 Skagit History tour by Ray & Rose for February 21, 2005 with Detective Elizabeth

Although it may "work" for adding them, I haven't sufficiently tested it so IMO let the linker beware. However that is my ultimate intent.

We did a test 'Note' on a benchmark...no E-Mail notification. :mad:

But, we still have the bookmark place for listing the ones that we are interested in. It is easier than going thru a ton of marks to find just a few or to put singles into your favorites. Soooo, life is good.

Shirley~

Has anyone received a pocket query that has had the "Are not on my ignore list" checked? Every time I try to schedule one of these, nothing happens. As soon as I uncheck it, the pocket query gets generated.

--Marky

I am having the same problem. I've been trying to get a PQ to see if it filtered out my ignore list. Hopefully this will get fixed soon.

Has anyone received a pocket query that has had the "Are not on my ignore list" checked?  Every time I try to schedule one of these, nothing happens.  As soon as I uncheck it, the pocket query gets generated.

--Marky

I am having the same problem. I've been trying to get a PQ to see if it filtered out my ignore list. Hopefully this will get fixed soon.

Worked for me just now.

Quick question/comment on the swell new bookmarks:

1. I think I read somewhere that we can only create - what? 10 max.? If so, then I suggest this needs to be upfront in the FAQ. I've already gone a bit crazy and created near that many, but if I knew the max was 10, I might have been a bit more prudent. :huh:

2. I believe I seen quite a few posts here effectively saying that maybe... that maybe somehow caches added to one's bookmarks - are NOT showing up in search lists? IOW, yes, the ignore list, but surely we'd still want all other bookmarked caches to show up in general searches from home coords or whatever, yes?

I don't believe I've seen an answer on this one way or the other - does anybody know if this was an early glitch or... maybe that's the way intended?

1.  I think I read somewhere that we can only create - what? 10 max.?  If so, then I suggest this needs to be upfront in the FAQ.
It is.

2. I believe I seen quite a few posts here effectively saying that maybe... that maybe somehow caches added to one's bookmarks - are NOT showing up in search lists?
This has already been fixed.

I think the f stands for filter, 1 just means turn it on.

Go to your My Account page, and compare the URLs for Search for nearest caches "from your home coordinates" vs. "(filter out finds)" - the only difference is the &f=1.

Other than that I've only seen it mentioned here in the forums.

Ok.. my situation. I live on the border of New Brunswick Canada and Maine U.S.A. When I do a search for caches nearest me(filter finds) many of Maine's caches come up. Someday I would like to go find some of these but not just when I get a few hours to go.

1. I dont wan't to add them to my ignore list as I don'd really want to ignore them. The caches in the "Ignore list" I will likely Never go find.

2. I have a Bookmark list named "Caches in Maine". I add the caches in maine to it, but they still show up on my "caches nearest me(filter finds)" search.

3. Can there be an option when creating a bookmark list to A - "Show in searches" B - "Do not show in searches."

I hope this issue has not allready been posted but Ididnt see it in the preceeding posts anywhere.

Thanks Jeremy <_< I like the new look very much. The Ignore list is great I have taken about 28 listing off of the first two pages. :lol: They are puzzle caches. There are about 25 more micro caches in grave yards around town that I will add to the list. :lol: Again Thanks. :lol:

Mejas

Just wanted to add a "me too" comment - the new look and feel is GREAT Jeremy! :)

You seem to imply that there are bigger and better things in the future...care to elaborate? :)

BTW, I am a paperless cacher (I use CacheMate on my TREO 650) I am really *not* a fan of the MobiPocket reader (sure wish your files worked in eReader!) Any chance that you can offer the Ereader format as a option in the future?

You seem to imply that there are bigger and better things in the future...care to elaborate? :surprise:

I'll let you know when the time comes. From experience it is better to hold my tongue since things change and I would rather release something fully than announce something prematurely.

BTW, I am a paperless cacher (I use CacheMate on my TREO 650) I am really *not* a fan of the MobiPocket reader (sure wish your files worked in eReader!) Any chance that you can offer the Ereader format as a option in the future?

Looking quickly at the reader they have a DropBook application written in Java which requires the Palm Markup Language. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an easy converter that I can see so it would take a while. GPX Spinner does a fair job at making Palm usable files from GPX.

If you are using CacheMate, why do you even care about the reader format? Everything you need for CacheMate is in the .gpx. Am I missing some use of an ereader format that I'm not aware of?

--Marky

I like the look and feel of the new design. One suggestion for the ignore list - would it be possible to check a large number of caches to ignore at one time. Something similiar to the waypoint checkbox that appears on the search page. There is one cacher in my area who has strewn a couple of hundred annoying microcaches everywhere and I would like to ignore his caches without having to go into each and everyone and put it on the ignore list. Thanks.