Clear Acrylic ?

slapshot52

I’m working on a cache container idea that requires me to embed an item in a clear “acrylic like" block about 6”x4”x1”. I went to a Michael’s craft store thinking I could just buy a jug of clear stuff I could poor into a mold and it would harden. Either they don’t have anything like that or the people I didn’t get my message across to the people I asked.

Any ideas?

There were two types I played with many years ago.

I know one turns yellow over time, the other will not as turn as fast, but still did.

I am sure there is better stuff out there now.

They do come in two parts, and you can buy it by the pint, quart, gallon, or up to five gallon sizes.

That was along time ago and there might be special licenses needed for some stuff?

1signature2zl.jpg

I’m working on a cache container idea that requires me to embed an item in a clear “acrylic like" block about 6”x4”x1”.  I went to a Michael’s craft store thinking I could just  buy a jug of clear stuff I could poor into a mold and it would harden.  Either they don’t have anything like that or the people I didn’t get my message across to the people I asked.

Any ideas?

Don't use acrylic, it will break. Even casting resins are very brittle overtime, unless you decide to pour it 2" thick.

You will need to use LEXAN if you want a long lasting cache container.

Edited by mrking
I don't think they are making the container out of acrylic, just something thay ar eputting in it...?

Thanks for all the help. You're right, I'm looking to embed a clue for a puzzle cache in a block of something that submersable in water. A water tight container tends to float and I need for it to sink, so I thought I would try to craft something solid and non-buoyant.

If you are really "set" on using the plastic resin you can go to a trophy store and they will imbed the "keepsake" for you. It might be kind of pricey though.

For probably less than the cost of the resin you could go to an engraving place and have the clue engraved on a piece of flat metal stock (like a door name plate). And it'll sink!

Better yet, engrave the clue into the side of an ammo can, fill it with waterproof goodies, sink it and see how many people realize the clue IS the box, not INSIDE it!

Edited by Crusso

For probably less than the cost of the resin you could go to an engraving place and have the clue engraved on a piece of flat metal stock (like a door name plate). And it'll sink!

or go to a army/navy store that makes dog tags and have a set made with your info. then attach it to a weight :laughing:

If you have a Taps plastics in your area, they should have what you need.

Yup - yo beat me here but what you want to ask for is

clear casting resin -

be careful - if you are only writing on something like paper then you should be in for an easy job -

I took a plastics class and learned this the hard way -

this stuff creates an exotherm (gets hot!). You want to mix it with minimal hardner if the item you are casting will absorb the heat. A coin for instance will expand and cause the casting to crack. Stones can do it too.

Edited by CompuCash