Adopt-a-newbie!

The size of a micro generally is regarded as a 35mm film canister.

Where you are located for someone to help?

Regards

Peter

I'm a newbie, found out about this yesterday, registered straight away. Had my first find this morning and 2 we couldn't. One was a micro one, exactly how micro are the micro ones please

HI, newbie in Southampton, millbrook area, looking to find someone to adopt me to help with my blossoming interest in this new fascinating sport,

got a few easy looking caches lined up for tonight, but looking for help to get into the game properly.

as a way of saying thanks to whoever adopts me i am willing to take tb's/geocoins etc to the seychelles/oman in february when i go there for work.

Many thanks

Hi,

I'm brand new just out of the wrapping geocaching lassie who has still to bag her first cache but has her sights in it.. I just need to wait until the weekend to find it.

Anyone interested in adopting a wee Glaswegian lass to help her as she starts on what she is certain will be a fun journey..

Thanks.

HI, newbie in Southampton, millbrook area, looking to find someone to adopt me to help with my blossoming interest in this new fascinating sport,

got a few easy looking caches lined up for tonight, but looking for help to get into the game properly.

as a way of saying thanks to whoever adopts me i am willing to take tb's/geocoins etc to the seychelles/oman in february when i go there for work.

Many thanks

Hi Swimmer84

I'm in Christchurch but cache all over Hants & Dorset. I'm always happy to meet up over that way for some caching. There are a lot of active cachers in the area and there is also a monthly Hampshire event which is the second Wednesday of each month. This months is near Fleet.

Andy

Many thanks

Hi Swimmer84

I'm in Christchurch but cache all over Hants & Dorset. I'm always happy to meet up over that way for some caching. There are a lot of active cachers in the area and there is also a monthly Hampshire event which is the second Wednesday of each month. This months is near Fleet.

Andy

Hi Andy,

It would be great to meet up,thanks for you reply, is there somewhere to find more info on the Hampshire events?

Many thanks

Hi Swimmer84

Andy

Hi Andy,

It would be great to meet up,thanks for you reply, is there somewhere to find more info on the Hampshire events?

You can email me (fudgeman99@hotmail.co.uk) and I'll send you the details

Jamie, If you have a look on youtube and search creative cachehound or go to www.creativecachehound.com you will see the sort of field puzzles and caches I make. I am limiting how many more I place as I think maintaining 200 will be enough work but I have ideas for more caches and am looking for someone who wants to place and maintain them and let me know GC number so I can add to my watchlist and enjoy the logs.

Mark

Hi,

My first post here, I'm a complete newbie hoping to do some caching with the family, and some to get away from the family! I'm in Dawlish, Devon and if anyone would like to adopt me that'd be great. I do like to get out and about walking so planning on spreading the net across Devon.

Cheers, TC

We live in Peterborough and would like to go geocaching with someone who can show us the ropes. We are particularly interested in paperless geocaching. We currently have a Garmin GPS 12 & are waiting for a Garmin Dakota 20 with maps to arrive.

Thanks

Smartrascal

Welcome!

To get the most out of paperless caching, you really need to be a Premium Member.

You can get a free trial for 30 days here > http://www.geocaching.com/garmin/freetrial.aspx

And it's worth reading > http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/paperless.html

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Hi all... although been on the site for 9 years, i'm considering myself a newbie as only ever found a few caches back in 2005 with friends - then rediscovered the hobby a couple of weeks ago and am now addicted! Everywhere I go I check to see if there are any near me and if I have time to dash out and find them.

Just thought i'd say hello and find out who's near me (Crowborough East Sussex) and if people meet up at all? Also anyone know of must do ones near me at all?

Thanks

Greg

Just thought i'd say hello and find out who's near me (Crowborough East Sussex) and if people meet up at all? Also anyone know of must do ones near me at all?

Thanks

Greg

I happened to be down that way a few weeks ago. I didn't do many, but did very much enjoy a walk out onto part of Ashdown Forest to find a letterbox type - Camp Hill Spider. Looks like it's pretty near you - the walk was a good one and there are several other caches in the same sort of area - you already have a couple of them found: just need to explore the other side of the road now!

The Pooh series up and around the Pooh Bridge Virtual looked quite nice as well - nice walking as far as I could tell although I only did one of the boxes and the Virtual.

Look like lots of stuff - I seem to recall there being more bigger ones the further south I looked, but I might be failing dismally on that.

Thanks Blue Square Thing - completed 43 around the area this weekend - was right next the Camp Hill Spider but there were cows all over the place and didn't fancy heading into them alone! Going to try again next weekend :-)

Those cows seemed relatively benign as far as I could tell tbh!

Try and do Camp Hill Spider with a map and a compass rather than a GPS btw. Good fun :-)

I'm looking for a Geo Caching Buddy in the Denbigh area, North Wales.

I generally do a lot of them on my own, but i enjoy going on "Missions" up and down the countryside.

I'm quite adventurous and a bit of a hippy, So if your looking for a fellow Buddy who has a bit of a laugh then drop me a message.

I have a particular interest in Neolithic sites :)

Hi everyone!

I'm Mike, a newbie to geocaching. I would love to be part of the 'adopt-a-newbie' program. I've done a couple of finds but nothing too serious yet, and only using my phone. So i'm eager to do more!

I'm London or Oxford based so it would be great to meet people from there or surrounding areas.

I'm a cultural geographer doing doctoral research into the uses of location-based services and what they mean for people in everyday life so the more I can lean about geocaching the better, for it sounds like one of the most interesting (and fun) uses of GPS technologies.

Hi everyone!

I'm Mike, a newbie to geocaching. I would love to be part of the 'adopt-a-newbie' program. I've done a couple of finds but nothing too serious yet, and only using my phone. So i'm eager to do more!

I'm London or Oxford based so it would be great to meet people from there or surrounding areas.

I'm a cultural geographer doing doctoral research into the uses of location-based services and what they mean for people in everyday life so the more I can lean about geocaching the better, for it sounds like one of the most interesting (and fun) uses of GPS technologies.

I would suggest going to one of the London monthly events organised by Goldpot.

Always friendly banter, beer and food. You'll pick up some great tips of you talk to the right people. :rolleyes:

The next is 26NOV - look up the code GC5G28H for info.

Hi everyone!

I would suggest going to one of the London monthly events organised by Goldpot.

Always friendly banter, beer and food. You'll pick up some great tips of you talk to the right people. :rolleyes:

The next is 26NOV - look up the code GC5G28H for info.

Thanks! I'll try and make it on the 26th

DARWEN - BB3 area looking to be adopted :D

Have been geocaching on and off for a couple of years but feel it is more hit and miss than knowing what I am doing. Have found just over 100 so far. I have a satmap which we use for *ahem* proper *ahem* walking and I use my sony expira android with geocaching app for actual geocaching. Currently I look on the website and then write everything down in a little book, coordinates, hints etc !! Have you stopped laughing yet?

I am 50+ female, and tend to geocache on my own (OH has a mountain bike!), occasionally my eldest son joins me. I work, and have elderly parents so time is precious.

Thanks,

Nance2112

DARWEN - BB3 area looking to be adopted :D

Have been geocaching on and off for a couple of years but feel it is more hit and miss than knowing what I am doing. Have found just over 100 so far. I have a satmap which we use for *ahem* proper *ahem* walking and I use my sony expira android with geocaching app for actual geocaching. Currently I look on the website and then write everything down in a little book, coordinates, hints etc !! Have you stopped laughing yet?

I am 50+ female, and tend to geocache on my own (OH has a mountain bike!), occasionally my eldest son joins me. I work, and have elderly parents so time is precious.

Thanks,

Nance2112

From the caches you have found I think you are in the North West. This forum is not as busy as it used to be as most people seem to prefer TwitFace now, so I suggest that you look at the

" Geocaching Organisations in the U.K. and Ireland" thread which is pinned at the top of this forum to see if there are any groups local to you. Secondly I suggest you look for an event near you and attend it. You will find people are friendly and ready to help you

Good Luck

Edited by Just Roger
On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2005 at 8:09 PM, JollyJax said:

I had completed my first 100 caches before I even knew the forum existed ... How are we going to help newbies if they dont magickally appear here.

I know its easy to find .. but I didnt find it. I might not be the brightest star in heaven but there are plenty out there like me ... and those are probably the ones that need or would like the help.

I dont have an answer except perhaps if you see a newbie completing or attempting one of your caches, then send them a Well Done email and invite them to the forum?

An excellent point ... I suggest that cache owners willing to help guide newbies along the road mention this fact on their listings ... I will update mine shortly to this effect.

Alternatively, generate a new, easy cache in an nice central area near you and do the same, advertise your willingness to help get them started etc.

wow this question cam up in a questionnaire I filled in the other week 

I have ears and can listen ,

I was given guidance when I first started ,

I have also be offering advice and guidance to a locale cacher , who seems not to want advice or guidance , as they have a free phone app and they know everything already 

and not just telling them what to do , but , pointing them to the ( help center ) advising them to first read the topics there , still the penny hasn't dropped .

I'd re-name it mentor and new cacher 

so my point here is this ...

there is a help center , BUT , how many new cachers go to it and read it , how many know where to find it , and is it easily found via the phone app ....

could the ( help center ) be re-located , to somewhere a (BIG) bit more prominent    ,  like the top of the page and not right down at the bottom of the page in the corner 

and link it so when a new cacher , attempts to place a cache it say **STOP** have you read the guidance page .... etc  same with a trackable ,,,,,there is a pop up for that .