Adopt-a-newbie!

Im from Leigh, Wigan area.....Kinda newbie...2 months....30 finds.....only walk as i dont drive yet :( Would love to meet peeps from this area n help out some newbie newbies...plus i need more friends :)

Hahaha getting carried away with my posts now sowwiieee :)

Edited by jady1987

Better than me walking around a field singing GLORY GLORY LEEDS UNITED over and over to myself :blink: Ppl think ive escaped from the local nut house :)

Wouldn't recommend singing that near here, even the livestock are passionate MUFC or MCFC fans!

Willing to help any newbies in the North Derbyshire area, especially complete beginners.

I'd happily volunteer to help newbies in the Gloucester/Cheltenham area, but I seem to upset people with my honest logs: so, unless you want to join the NTFTC revolution, perhaps I'd not be a good mentor! :ph34r:

Just prowling the forums for the first time in 2 years... Nothing wrong with an honest log!

(or hacking a Wherigo *cough*) :ph34r:

South Northants flag being waved... don't all rush at once! :rolleyes:

Hi Milvus!

Started geocaching a month or so ago, got 10 finds and 1 DNF as of today and could do with some help, hints and guidance, someone to text when I get stuck and maybe just someone to walk around with so I don't look so suspicious!

If you know of any other newbies in the area, that would like to go caching together, that'd be great.

Cheers! B)

Hi I'm in Woking (land of HG Wells Martians) , I am willing to adopt a newbie, and even have a spare gps they can borrow/buy. I've been unable to cache for a while due to health/work but now need incentive to get out there and get my finds numbers up. So if you guys out there want to swap notes, or an intro to this great sport, I'm here to help.

I'm a "Newbie" and I live in the Lake District - Could do with some advice.

I have just invested in a Samsung Galaxy S2 Smart phone with 500mb data available. I've installed the Groundspeak Geocaching app. (impressive!)

I checked-out "Nearby Caches" while at home (with Wi-fi connection) and found one very close to my stables (no internet access down there though) as a result, when I tried to bring-up the details, I couldn't cos I couldn't get a signal.

That evening I made a list of as many "Off-line Caches" as I could - just in case I couldn't get a signal next time I tried when out and about. Wouldn't be a lot of good if you were having an "away day" tho and wanted an impromptu Geocache en-route!

What I really want to know is . . how many of you actually can log-into your Geocache details via BT OPENZONE or whatever it is that you log into? - when out and about in the countryside or on the fells or do you have to rely on "Off-line" caches that you have previously installed. Is it easy to find "Wi-fi" connections when out and about esp. in the Lake District with all the mountains. I see from reading a lot of the Logs on the Caches that a lot of you are holiday-makers in the Lake District, so will be able to, hopefully compare our internet Access "on the hoof" as it were compared to where you live.

I also don't know how to Log a chache (via my Smartphone) after you have found it - advice on this also please?

It's all a learning curve at the mo - both the Geocaching and the Smartphone!!! So, any help/advice gratefully received.

Welcome to the wonderful world of caching. We started with a cheap Garmin Etrex GPS so didn't have any of the problems associated with Smart phones. However we do use them to a certain degree now. The best thing you can do for advice in your area is join the North West caching forum. You will get loads of help, hints and advice there and they are a friendly group. http://www.nwcaching.co.uk :D

Hi, Birdbrain. We started "logging in the field" as it were, using the data connection when available, but soon decided that it was easier to write a decent log at home, on the computer, figuring that someone had gone to the effort of hiding a cache for us to find, the least we could do was a decent "thank you" :)

Have fun caching :)

What I really want to know is . . how many of you actually can log-into your Geocache details via BT OPENZONE or whatever it is that you log into? - when out and about in the countryside or on the fells or do you have to rely on "Off-line" caches that you have previously installed. Is it easy to find "Wi-fi" connections when out and about esp. in the Lake District with all the mountains. I see from reading a lot of the Logs on the Caches that a lot of you are holiday-makers in the Lake District, so will be able to, hopefully compare our internet Access "on the hoof" as it were compared to where you live.

I also don't know how to Log a chache (via my Smartphone) after you have found it - advice on this also please?

It's all a learning curve at the mo - both the Geocaching and the Smartphone!!! So, any help/advice gratefully received.

Most of my geocaching is planned in advance, so caches are loaded into my GPSr and iPhone (GeoSphere) before I leave. I use the Groundspeak app only for impromptu caching, maybe a couple of times a year but no more. Advance planning is easier if you are a Premium member because it buys you things called "Pocket Queries", which are lists of caches you can load into your phone/GPSr in one go.

My old iPhone 3GS was atrocious at picking up a signal, and I expected to be out of coverage most of the time. The new iPhone 4S is the complete opposite - I'm almost always in coverage. But it hasn't changed my habit of loading up the caches before I go, it just means I can pick up emails while I'm out and about :lol:. I don't think I have ever tried to pick up WiFi when I've been out and about.

I never log from the phone. Phone logs tend to be curt because it's such hard work entering a decent log - like The Frosties I do it when I get home and can write a decent quality log for a decent quality cache.

Rgds, Andy

Most of my geocaching is planned in advance, so caches are loaded into my GPSr and iPhone (GeoSphere) before I leave. I use the Groundspeak app only for impromptu caching, maybe a couple of times a year but no more. Advance planning is easier if you are a Premium member because it buys you things called "Pocket Queries", which are lists of caches you can load into your phone/GPSr in one go.

My old iPhone 3GS was atrocious at picking up a signal, and I expected to be out of coverage most of the time. The new iPhone 4S is the complete opposite - I'm almost always in coverage. But it hasn't changed my habit of loading up the caches before I go, it just means I can pick up emails while I'm out and about :lol:. I don't think I have ever tried to pick up WiFi when I've been out and about.

I never log from the phone. Phone logs tend to be curt because it's such hard work entering a decent log - like The Frosties I do it when I get home and can write a decent quality log for a decent quality cache.

Rgds, Andy

HI

Very many thanks for all your replies.

It does appear that most of you use the "Off-line" cache facilities. At least I know it wasn't just me when I couldn't bring the info up on my phone's screen - I thought I was doing something wrong!

Even though I registered a while ago we haven't actually tried to find a cache yet - we apparently hve quite a few close-by, so I must make the effort to get out there Geo-caching.

I will Post again when I have found my first and hope someone will be willing to "talk me through" posting my Log via Computer.

Just as an afterthought.. . . The Samsung Galaxy S2 is useless when it comes to dealing with Emails from my main Email provider . . . It picks them up but if I'm on the PC at the time . .. they just disappear off the phone and also if I was out and about and say 3 appeared on the phone screen . . the second I click on the icon they appear and disappear almost as fast. I think I've only been able to open a couple in the 2 weeks I've had the phone. It's also upset my email settings on my PC and a lot of my emails are just sitting on my server, and not coming through to my Outlook Email screen. Yesterday there were 17emails on the WEbmail server that hadn't come through.

As a result I have deleted my main email address off my phone but kept the Googlemail one that I had to register on there . . . what I would like to know is . . Can I have notifications from this Forum sent to both my email addresses i.e. my main Virgin.net one and also my new Googlemail.com one that comes through to the phone . . . this way I could keep in touch with the Forum and replies while out and about.

If anyone knows if this is possible . . please let me know how to go about adding the other email address.

Thanks again folks!

Edited by Birdbrain16

Hi

If you fancy a guided geocaching trip I'd be happy to help. We're in Kendal, lots of good caches close by, and good rail or bus connections depending where you are. We're out several days a week taking Safie for a walk so easy to have others along.

I use an iPhone and the Geocaching App, which I find works very well once you've got you're head around the details. If you're elsewhere, try contacting some of the local cachers - most folk up here are friendly! :)

Let me know through our profile if you fancy a trip.

Cheers

martlakes

aka Martin!

Hi,

Does anyone fancy adopting me?!

We live in Penistone, South Yorkshire.

I had my first find a few days ago - which was only a minute's walk from my house.

I am the "AlmaMater" of RoweGeocache (we are a family of 2 adults, 3 children).

I am classed as disabled but I don't let it stop me from Geocaching - although when you meet me it will be come glaringly obvious why it's a little bit more difficult for me than others!

I'm going on my first "Lone" Geocaching adventure this Wednesday (2nd May 2012) and shall be setting off from Penistone, along the TPT towards Dunford Bridge then aim for the Windmills - which is my favourite spot in the world. I'm not neccessarily asking for someone to come along with me on Wednesday as I know it is short notice, but if anyone would be available, they would be most welcome to share my picnic.

If anyone is willing to help me on further trips (especially the elusive Sidetracked Penistone Railway Station cache!) it would be great, just until I have a few more finds under my belt.

Much Love,

Mummy Rowe.

Hi all just a thought for this thread as its getting a few pages long now and difficult to find who needs a mentor and who is offering to be one. Could we start a list of cacher's willing to adopt a newbie which you copy and paste into your reply and simply add your username and location to thus keeping it up to date & making it easy for a newbie to find someone near them ?

So to start off:

UKDAN - Hastings, East Sussex

Edited by UKDAN

Newbie(ish - 33 finds) needing some geocaching friends as only know of 4 cachers in our area (Loughborough/Leicester), 1 of whom will not reveal his web alias.

For Leicester cachers, there is another forum here

forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=297249&st=0&p=5076495&hl=caching group for leicester&fromsearch=1entry5076495

(Can't work out how to link)

Newbie(ish - 33 finds) needing some geocaching friends as only know of 4 cachers in our area (Loughborough/Leicester), 1 of whom will not reveal his web alias.

For Leicester cachers, there is another forum here

forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=297249&st=0&p=5076495&hl=caching group for leicester&fromsearch=1entry5076495

(Can't work out how to link)

You could try EmCache (East Midlands cachers) > linky >

I'd happily volunteer to help newbies in the Gloucester/Cheltenham area, but I seem to upset people with my honest logs: so, unless you want to join the NTFTC revolution, perhaps I'd not be a good mentor! :ph34r:

Just prowling the forums for the first time in 2 years... Nothing wrong with an honest log!

(or hacking a Wherigo *cough*) :ph34r:

There is a few of us in Lincolnshire. Would certainly be happy to show newbies how its done.

Won't be going to Dune for our first outing though. :huh:

Not even sure if it is still active. :mad:

Hi,

I`m based in Boston, completely new, haven`t got much or any idea on how to get started, just purchased a second hand garmin etrex venture HC Gps and keen to get started.

Any advice or hepl appreciated.

Thanks.

There is a few of us in Lincolnshire. Would certainly be happy to show newbies how its done.

Won't be going to Dune for our first outing though. :huh:

Not even sure if it is still active. :mad:

Hi,

I`m based in Boston, completely new, haven`t got much or any idea on how to get started, just purchased a second hand garmin etrex venture HC Gps and keen to get started.

Any advice or hepl appreciated.

Thanks.

You might find the info here to be helpful: "Follow the arrow" - All about GPS receivers, coordinates and maps.

And there's a lot of general info about starting geocaching on the pinned topics at the top of the 'Getting Started' forum.

If you use facebook, there's a regional group you might like to join: Lincache - The Lincolnshire geocaching community.

MrsB :)

Not really read all the replies here so apologies if this has been mentioned previously, also if the obvious advice to newcomers is to look for lo difficulty caches, but a lot of people dont change that anyway...

I have just archived 90% of my caches from last year due to age and saturation. So there is space for more in my area for new ones which I was considering anyway for the new year.

With this idea, i might mark them in the title as newcomer friendly, place them in "out of the way" places, yet put them in easy find locations with clues to be obvious, but also offer advice to other caches in the area if they wished to contact... Here being the Exeter and East Devon area..

Got me planning now :D

Not really read all the replies here so apologies if this has been mentioned previously, also if the obvious advice to newcomers is to look for lo difficulty caches, but a lot of people dont change that anyway...

I have just archived 90% of my caches from last year due to age and saturation. So there is space for more in my area for new ones which I was considering anyway for the new year.

With this idea, i might mark them in the title as newcomer friendly, place them in "out of the way" places, yet put them in easy find locations with clues to be obvious, but also offer advice to other caches in the area if they wished to contact... Here being the Exeter and East Devon area..

Got me planning now :D

Don't know if you are aware, but low D/T rated caches -that are NOT Micro*- are rated as 'Beginner Caches' by the Groundspeak system, if they are found recently.

Beginner Caches:

Some geocache characteristics make it more likely that a new geocacher will be successful when they are first getting started. Beginner caches incorporate these characteristics:

Traditional type

Low difficulty

Recently found by others

No micro sized caches

No problems reported

*Have to be marked as size Small or larger.

Micro, Not Listed and Unknown size won't make it!

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Be happy to help anyone in and around norwich/norfolk. Friendly bunch over here and we are meeting on the 26th in Brundall.

Hi,

I only started a week ago and have 10 finds under my belt so far. Not doing too badly considering the snow but could do with some hints for a pesky one in Horsford if you're up for it? Also good to know you're there as I go on!

Cheers,

Ben

Hey all we are newbies to geocaching . We tried to find our first cache yesterday and we could not find it :( , so we tried again today , still no luck :sad:

my son is autistic and I thought this would be a real good hobby for us but after our first and second attempt being a failure he is kind of going off the idea :( , but I know if we found the cache he would love it B) . So when I came across this thread I realised we may need to be adopted . :D

There are 3 of us. My Son who is 12 , myself & and our french bulldog Max he is 6 months

If there are any geocachers in the Bexley/Dartford area who want to adopt us we be very grateful :D

Thanks for reading

Hello

Another newbie Family who started Geocaching last Saturday. We were not aware that 17th August was International Geocache day!

We live in Cheltenham in Gloucestershire. Thought we'd pop on here to see what was going on.

We have a family blog covering our geocaching misadventures. geocache.ryeworth.com.

(A bit tongue in cheek so long toothed geocachers - don't get upset :rolleyes: )

Family Ryeworth

Hi All,

Thought I'd do my first post in this thread being a newbie and all that. Just started Gecocaching and love it! Can imagine it will get quite addictive. Live in St Albans and there seems to be quite a few to get me started. Was down in Cornwall the other day and picked up a bunch there and a Travel Bug. Was staying at the in-laws and got them into it as well.

Fun fun fun!