Adopt-a-newbie!

I'm quite new.... and already addicted :anibad:

I did some caches with friends last year and a while ago I figured out that my mobile phone has GPS... so I started myself. Sometimes I take friends with me but they start to complain that its too wet and cold for it.. (I used every available weekend so far - no matter what weather it was :anibad: )....

So, would be nice if someone from London want to do some caches this weekend (10/11.01.)?!

I'm quite new.... and already addicted :D

I did some caches with friends last year and a while ago I figured out that my mobile phone has GPS... so I started myself. Sometimes I take friends with me but they start to complain that its too wet and cold for it.. (I used every available weekend so far - no matter what weather it was :unsure: )....

So, would be nice if someone from London want to do some caches this weekend (10/11.01.)?!

big place London! which bit of it!

South East Caching Forums

lots of local trips are organised on the regional forums. The SE one is very active, and I believe there is a potential trip to the reigate area planned for this weekend!

Hi, welcome ;)

You may like to have a look at the regional geocaching forum for the NW of England:

NWCaching Forum.

You'll see they have a section there for local geocaching events where you can meet up with other cachers from that area. There's an event in Warrington, on 28th March and a Morecambe Bay Crossing one in April.

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

Nice going davester ;)

I always wonder about emailing new cachers but don't like to spam people.

I'm a newbie, just found cache 11. Me personally, if I found one of your caches and received an email I would be delighted. It would reconfirm to me that I'm not out trekking along all by myself.

So, here's a future TFTC now.

If a new cacher does one of my caches I always email them to say Hi and offer my help. I've been thanked loads of times when I've met up with them at events, and made some good friends by simply saying Hi.....

I'd never think of it as spam!!

me too, I often find that if a new person does one of my caches then they're a local too!

I am not a drinker, so, would not feel happy sat in a pub drinking coke.

l'd not worry to much about not drinking, I know in the 2 events I have been to most cachers are driving so a Pub is more of a convenient meeting point than a place to go on a session.

I have not been to that event but would suggest there would be a surprising number of coke drinkers :( .

Cachers are as a whole a friendly bunch, there is no need to worry. Once you have been to one the problem is excusing yourself from the next one, when you have other commitments :) .

Hi,

my first post, only joined a couple of weeks ago. I have been out 3 times and not found a cache.

I would like someone to adopt us. I live in Shropshire, but am in Sunderland this month, if anyone could help in either location. There would be me and my 4 kids (3-11) and possible hubby.

Many thanks, pineapplepace.

Hi,

my first post, only joined a couple of weeks ago. I have been out 3 times and not found a cache.

I would like someone to adopt us. I live in Shropshire, but am in Sunderland this month, if anyone could help in either location. There would be me and my 4 kids (3-11) and possible hubby.

Looking at the name, there is a perfect candidate imo, however, they are a lil bit too far away :blink:

Sure some shroppy will come by tho :(

Afternoon all :huh:

Fairly new geocacher here, just wondering if there are any groups in the South Yorkshire area? I'm not looking for anything that requires much in the way of commitment (sounds odd doesn't it!), as I'm a fairly busy person, but more of a "if you've got a day free, you're welcome to join us" sort of thing :)

I started geocaching as my new phone has GPS built in, so thought I'd give it a whirl and found this fantastic hobby! In the last 4 days or so, I've managed to bag a leisurely 9 caches, with plans to get all the local ones as soon as I can (which will probably be a while!) :lol:

Anyone who's part of a "welcome to join but you don't need to come every time" type group, please let me know!

Cheers

Hi,

Looking at the name, there is a perfect candidate imo, however, they are a lil bit too far away :huh:

Sure some shroppy will come by tho :lol:

quite! :lol: However, we're in Surrey, and while we're always happy to help a newbie, there are limits!

Shroppie has lots of active cachers, so someone will be along to help - you could also consider a local event - we've met loads of the NW cachers, and they're a lovely bunch, once you can understand the accent! :):lol:

Another tip is to see who are the most active cache setters in the area, and contact them through their profile.

good luck

dave

I am not a drinker, so, would not feel happy sat in a pub drinking coke.

l'd not worry to much about not drinking, I know in the 2 events I have been to most cachers are driving so a Pub is more of a convenient meeting point than a place to go on a session.

I have not been to that event but would suggest there would be a surprising number of coke drinkers ;) .

Cachers are as a whole a friendly bunch, there is no need to worry. Once you have been to one the problem is excusing yourself from the next one, when you have other commitments :) .

I was replying to what norsch said about forgetting geocaching and get down to the pub, lol,

I am not someone who goes to the pub unless it is for a social gathering, I am totally fine with that, just never been someone who prefers to sit in a pub nursing a pint of bitter/lager while the footy is playing.

I am hoping to go to the ten years of geocaching that is taking place in manchester, but, would love something also close by, or maybe an organisation, who knows, I might end up running one for Sheffield based geocachers, we shall have to see, watch this space.

Hi, i'm relativly new to both geocaching and forums, i can say i'm getting better at both. Iwould like to say thanks to the more experienced cachers that write on the forums. All the problems and questions i've had have received friendly and informative answers. Spose it's the next best thing to having somebody with you.

i'm based in perthshire

Cheers

How long do people have to been geocaching before they can adopt someone so as to show them the ropes and give them advice ?

There are no rules about it. :laughing:

I guess once you feel confident that you know how it all works and you don't need to ask questions yourself then you're ready to take a newer cacher under your wing.

MrsB

Hi there!

I've struggled with my GPS for some months now, but last week actually made some progress and found six out of my first seven attempted caches! ;)

Unfortunately, the one I missed was the biggy bonus at the end of a series of traditionals.... :laughing:

Whilst I like the solitude of going out alone, I think it would be good to meet up with fellow geocachers to share stories and tips etc - I know there is so much about my Garmin that I just don't understand!

I'm in N Norfolk.

J.

Hi there!

I've struggled with my GPS for some months now, but last week actually made some progress and found six out of my first seven attempted caches! ;)

Unfortunately, the one I missed was the biggy bonus at the end of a series of traditionals.... :laughing:

Whilst I like the solitude of going out alone, I think it would be good to meet up with fellow geocachers to share stories and tips etc - I know there is so much about my Garmin that I just don't understand!

I'm in N Norfolk.

J.

Hi

I am in West Norfolk so not far away, I am not very techy but will help if I can.

There are two local forums,

http://eageomobbers.org.uk/index/ - - this forum is very friendly and regularly cache together, so lots of chance for people to show you how to get the best from your garmin

http://s4.zetaboards.com/East_Anglian_Cachers/index/ - is another local forum, full of helpful advice.

Or you can just send me a message.

How long do people have to been geocaching before they can adopt someone so as to show them the ropes and give them advice ?

There are no rules about it. :lol:

I guess once you feel confident that you know how it all works and you don't need to ask questions yourself then you're ready to take a newer cacher under your wing.

MrsB

I guess I am ready to take someone under my wing then, I am confident enough now to be able to educate others and help them, plus, I have a lot of respect for nature and the areas where I go, I always respect the land and creatures that reside there.

It would be lovely to pass the knowledge onto someone else who shares my enthusiasm for geocaching.

So, if anyone in the Sheffield or South Yorkshire region requires help from a fellow GC'er, then get in touch, I am always happy to help.

Welcome, Je5ter

I thought I'd do a quick search to see if there were any events coming up which are local to you...

Are you aware of this one tomorrow?

"Spring is sprung picnic" event.

MrsB :P

I am now! :P

I was working last night, so couldn't have made it anyway - thanks for looking it up for me though! <_<

I'm registered on the local forum now, so should get to hear what's going on directly - so long as I remember to log in!! :lol:

So, if anyone in the Sheffield or South Yorkshire region requires help from a fellow GC'er, then get in touch, I am always happy to help.

Kry - as/when I get out on a proper "caching day", I'll see if you're up for it :lol: I'm over in Doncaster, so will be trying to grab all the ones in South Yorkshire over time, and if our schedules match I'd be glad for the company :P

It won't be for a while yet though, as the next few months are fairly busy, but sometime during the summer maybe. Cheers!

That's fine ChaceGuild, I am free from tuesday to thursday during the day, so, just let me know when your up for some help and company.

If anyone else could also do with some help and advice while out geocaching, and your going to be in the Sheffield area, just let me know and I would be happy to come along and give you any help you require.

Hi folks, I have just joined up as I am looking to start geocaching with my young family.

I am in need of some advice about a GPS please. Should I start with a basic one, or it is worth buying one with mapping? And am I right in thinking that I can download maps for free from OpenStreetMap?

Hi folks, I have just joined up as I am looking to start geocaching with my young family.

I am in need of some advice about a GPS please. Should I start with a basic one, or it is worth buying one with mapping? And am I right in thinking that I can download maps for free from OpenStreetMap?

Best advice I can give is get the best GPSr that you can afford.

Check out what people have said in the reviews on geocaching.com and make a choice from that.

As regarding downloading maps from OpenStreetMap, I am not too sure, I believe so, seems that way, someone else might be able to help on that subject.

In the meantime, welcome to Geocaching and Happy Hunting.

Well, I am still on the lookout for geocachers to help or to accompany on their geocaching travels, I myself geocache in both Sheffield and Manchester, so, I can cover two areas.

If anyone wants help or just some friendly company while out caching, give me a shout.

Additionally, I am running my first event in Sheffield this coming June the 19th, newbies are just as welcome as are the more knowledgable people.

So. Here. I. Am.

Haven't tracked down my first cache yet, but Simply Paul was kind enuff to let me follow him 'round placing one.

I am based in Milton of the Keynes and am keen as mustard.

Hmm am I doing this right? trying to get my head round this as Im new found 1 still trying to work out how to use my GPS?

Welcome to these forums Yoshic.

If you want some specific assistance then just ask and someone might be able to help. If you're hoping to find someone near to you please let us know your home area.

[To add a post to this thread you just click on the "Reply" button at the bottom right corner of the last post.

If you want to reply, but also want to quote a post from someone elsewhere in the thread, go to the post you want to quote and press both the "Quote" and "Reply" buttons.]

MrsB

Just recently getting interested in Geocaching, got a day off work on friday and me and the wife are off to one in Howell Wood in South Yorkshire, I live in Doncaster and am going to look for a few more around my local area.

On a side note how good/accurate is the Iphone app for geocaching?

Looking forward to finding my first.

On a side note how good/accurate is the Iphone app for geocaching?

Gets you close enough to start looking with your eyes. No GPS gets you 'spot on' the cache.

iphone seems to suffer when trying to get good coordinates to hide a cache... So either get your own GPS, borrow one, or ask a local cacher to help.

Welcome, good hunting!

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Hi!

been doing this for a few months now and totally addicted! based in Macclesfield / Cheshire. Started off using google maps, then iphone to find caches, but have just bought a Garmin etrex, (just waiting for it to arrive!!!) and would LOVE it if there was someone I could ask stupid questions about how to use it!

thanks! would only probably be a few emails until i get used to it :laughing: