Adopt-a-newbie!

What an excellant idea, when I started with geocaching last year I went out spent a fortune, bought tons of stuff, and then did one cache which I failed to find. Totally demoralized I gave up on the idea.

Then my son decided to give it a go (if I joined him). We are at it most weekends, no we don't do large quantities of caches - usually 1 or 2 a week. If there are any perspective cachers in Bedfordshire we are both willing to help out.

Oh and that cache I failed to find - it had been muggled, It was replaced and I then marked it up as one of my first cache finds.

Apart from a period of sickness, we have been at this for most weeks since February this year.

Edited by momagic48

I'm a new cacher in Sheffield - found one here so far (mostly low because of the atrocious weather recently), and went on a day trip to Birmingham yesterday and found 7 in the city centre before rain stopped play. My main problem with getting out and about is that I rely solely on public transport and my own two feet, so going outside of the local transport routes is a bit of a problem. Anyone willing to adopt a newbie for missions further afield?

I'm a new cacher in Sheffield - found one here so far (mostly low because of the atrocious weather recently), and went on a day trip to Birmingham yesterday and found 7 in the city centre before rain stopped play. My main problem with getting out and about is that I rely solely on public transport and my own two feet, so going outside of the local transport routes is a bit of a problem. Anyone willing to adopt a newbie for missions further afield?

Welcome to the addiction, message on it's way.

Karen

Hiya! I'm in west Cornwall. I think this is a brilliant idea! I'm reading up as much as I can on the subject but it still seems very perplexing...

It's the co-ordinates & code to find them that I'm finding confusing! I'd love to be able to go on a couple of Caches with people to understand the basic of it all ( so would my children ~ what better way to get them into the fresh air!)

I wasn't sure whether it was bad etiquette to message local cachers dreckly!

Thanks in advance for any help! Emma

Hiya! I'm in west Cornwall. I think this is a brilliant idea! I'm reading up as much as I can on the subject but it still seems very perplexing...

It's the co-ordinates & code to find them that I'm finding confusing! I'd love to be able to go on a couple of Caches with people to understand the basic of it all ( so would my children ~ what better way to get them into the fresh air!)

Hi Emma

I have emailed a friend of mine who is down in the Redruth/St Agnes area to see if he can help, I will get back to you with any news.

Hi Emma

I have emailed a friend of mine who is down in the Redruth/St Agnes area to see if he can help, I will get back to you with any news. I don't see anybody objecting if you contacted them via email or PM on their caching profile. If you have had no luck by July me and the wife will be down there for 8 weeks.

Hi Emma

I am happy to help you out, My Geocach name is Soldierblue 2 and I live in St Agnes, I am more then happy to get you on the road to geocaching I tel you it is a great hobbie let me know, my email is k.d.barbery@btinternet.com

Kelvin

Hi , I am a newbie in Essex , I have had a couple of people offer assistance already , I thought my satnav would be suitable for this ,mmm maybe not , but I have seen a cache in my area and I recognise it from members photos , I used to walk my dog there 15 years ago , so I will go have a look , otherwise I will be map reading . Dave

Edited by Dave 101

Hi , I am a newbie in Essex , I have had a couple of people offer assistance already , I thought my satnav would be suitable for this ,mmm maybe not , but I have seen a cache in my area and I recognise it from members photos , I used to walk my dog there 15 years ago , so I will go have a look , otherwise I will be map reading . Dave

We've got some friends who used to cache and never got themselves a GPS. They were selective with the caches they attempted - traditionals with helpful clues and studying the streetmap attached to the cache page worked for them quite well.

And for those who ask - Their kids got hooked on caching but the parents didn't, so they didn't fork out for a GPS and eventually they gave up taking the kids out caching. :rolleyes: Although when we visit them we try to secretly get some caching into the itinerary. :unsure:

Hi I'm Jemma. I'm new to Geocaching - brand new in fact - I haven't been out yet. I'm just considering buying a GPS (Legend HCx - comments?) and hoping to get out around easter time.

Anyone in the area want to adopt me for an afternoon? I could do with a crash course in using a GPS!

Thank you!

Jemma xxx

Hi I'm Jemma. I'm new to Geocaching - brand new in fact - I haven't been out yet. I'm just considering buying a GPS (Legend HCx - comments?) and hoping to get out around easter time.

Anyone in the area want to adopt me for an afternoon? I could do with a crash course in using a GPS!

Thank you!

Jemma xxx

Welcome to the UK side!

Where are you?

Otherwise you'll end up travelling a long way to go caching with someone... :anibad:

(edit to add: County or nearest town will do)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Thank you!

Jemma xxx

Welcome to the UK side!

Where are you?

Otherwise you'll end up travelling a long way to go caching with someone... :anibad:

(edit to add: County or nearest town will do)

D'oh! This doesn't bode well! I'm in Suffolk. Bury St Edmunds to be precise.

Hi All -

Me and my other half saw the info about this last week on Country file (quite by mistake really)

But i'm in Hertfordshire - small villiage just outside of stevnage - and just wanted to know if there was any about about that could lend a hand -

Well just some advice for now - I've got a TomTom Go sat nav which i can put map coordinates in to it. Will this be ok to use or would you recommend something different?

Shaz :anibad:

Hi All -

Me and my other half saw the info about this last week on Country file (quite by mistake really)

But i'm in Hertfordshire - small villiage just outside of stevnage - and just wanted to know if there was any about about that could lend a hand -

Well just some advice for now - I've got a TomTom Go sat nav which i can put map coordinates in to it. Will this be ok to use or would you recommend something different?

Shaz :anibad:

i dont know much about using the tomtom, as i dont have one and never used one, but just down the road in hertford so can lend a hand if you wish.

Thank you!

Jemma xxx

PM sent

Hi to all

I’m so new I’m still waiting for my Legend Hcx to arrive, saw the article on the ramblers site and thought I would give it a go, is there anyone or a group in the Newcastle upon Tyne area who could show me the ropes as I have never even held a GPS before :)

Malcolm

Hi to all

I’m so new I’m still waiting for my Legend Hcx to arrive, saw the article on the ramblers site and thought I would give it a go, is there anyone or a group in the Newcastle upon Tyne area who could show me the ropes as I have never even held a GPS before :)

Malcolm

Welcome to the pastime Malcolm.

If you can wait a couple of weeks there is this event coming up Newcastle Meet, Drink & Smiley where there will be a few more than happy to show the ropes.

Hope you enjoy it :)

Edited by G Force

Isn't it rubbish after all the searching on these forums and spending many hours looking at different equipment and ways and spending a load of cash on my new found 'addiction' I come across this post :)

Bought a GPS even though I got a Nokia 5800 which works a treat, now just got a PDA and using cachemate and other apps to make life easier when out in the elements. TBH should of bought a top of the range fella and would of broke even by now :blink:

With my job driving around UK I should be able to polish off a fair few caches on my journeys.

I have created own POI for TomTom and also created pocket queries on my pda so should be able to work out where and how on the move with ease and no paper work.

I only been doing it over a week now and it was only by chance, friend done in past and got my hooked once I knew my mobile phone had GPS capabilities. I think the info is out there but so many variants it gets confusing for the people at entry level. Really wished I didn't get this Garmin GPPS60 now and got something beefy. Luckily my brother in law got the bug and went out looking without any gps/compass and rang me up and helped him find it on my mobile 100 miles away :blink:

But you can't beat on hand experience with someone who knows a bit. Luck enough to have over 100 caches within 5-8 miles distance from home.