Adopt-a-newbie!

Hi everyone, more newbugs here :( I am Melody (Melodysk) and Stephen (zodski). We found out about Geocaching on another forum and decided it sounded just the thing to try ....

We went out today for the very first time, armed with our new GPS thingy .....lots and LOTS of caches around us ..managed to find 4 of the 6 that were all very close to each other and had a great time out.

Welcome cleverdogs :laughing: Hopefully another cacher from your area will notice your request here and come to your aid. Failing that, why not contact one of your local cachers directly, by clicking on their name, on a cache listing? You can then send them an email through their profile to explain your situation. I'm sure you'll find one who'd be willing to take you to a cache one afternoon - That way you can find out how the game actually works and decide whether it's really for you.

(Alternatively, back away from the pc now, and never venture onto this forum again. Once hooked, you may be here for life :( )

MrsB

Thanks for the welcome MrsB, that's what I'm looking for (will I enjoy it) before I go out and spend money on a GPS.

I'm quite sure I'll be addicted :laughing: I walk the dogs every day past a few caches and never knew it!

Melodysk from champdogs?

Hi...if anybody in west cumbria wants a newbie tager-oner im their man...just starting and just waiting for my etrex to arive..any help to learn to use it and be shown how to find a cache would be much appreciated..please contact me here or at hattster@hotmail.co.uk im waiting for all the replies..lol...regards Hatts :lol:

Bump!

...Blast! Where are my glases? :huh:

Just a reminder of this thread: If any newbies would like some assistance from someone local to them please post your brief details here. But remember, many cachers don't use this Forum, or have not yet discovered its many delights :( so you can also try contacting one of your local cachers by clicking on their name and sending an email through their profile link.

MrsB :(

Hi all, new to Geocaching and this seems to be as good a place as any to introduce myself ;)

I'm in Cheshire and I seem to be getting the hang of things, since I've already managed to find a couple of caches (and I'm sure I've got the right place for a 3rd - but the pesky little nano in question is proving elusive :) )

Hi all, new to Geocaching and this seems to be as good a place as any to introduce myself ;)

I'm in Cheshire and I seem to be getting the hang of things, since I've already managed to find a couple of caches (and I'm sure I've got the right place for a 3rd - but the pesky little nano in question is proving elusive :) )

Hi I'm fairly new to this and live in Congleton, lots of help on the forum at

http://nwcaching.co.uk/

also

OOOhh hello!! **Big Wave!!**

I'm from Wirral, and I'm the one responsible for making sure we have a quarterly event in Chester. Shame - there was one last week!!

Anyway - get in touch with me through my profile... I lived in Northwich until 2 years ago. I'm more than happy to show you the ropes and come out with you caching.

Hello

I'm an absolute rank newbie - have been intrigued with the idea of geocaching for about 6 months and really want to have a go but have no GPS anything in my life at the moment.  We've even got Christmas money set aside to buy one but I seem crippled with indecision about what to get.Is there a kind, experienced cacher in NW Leicestershire or South Nottinghamshire (we're in the Loughborough area) that would take me / us under their wing and give us a bit of a steer?

I saw the advice to try contacting one of my local cachers by clicking on their name and sending an email through their profile link - how do I find someone that is local?

thanks for help / advice

Lalheg

I saw the advice to try contacting one of my local cachers by clicking on their name and sending an email through their profile link - how do I find someone that is local?

Check out the new local caches. Usually First to Find* and the early finders are reasonably local.

And who is setting caches in your area -you have to be fairly local to maintain a cache...

*Note I say Usually! If it's found soon after it's published it's found by someone local-ish, although serious FTF-ers will travel. :anicute:

G

Edited by KandG

Check out the new local caches. Usually First to Find* and the early finders are reasonably local.

And who is setting caches in your area -you have to be fairly local to maintain a cache...

*Note I say Usually! If it's found soon after it's published it's found by someone local-ish, although serious FTF-ers will travel. :anicute:

G

Thank you - half a dozen messages sent to potential local adopters, so I hope that I have asked nicely and will soon be on my way to finding my first cache

Lalheg

hello, i joined this site a few years ago but then i dropped out as i never did manage to get a gps system. well now i am back as i have become intriqued with geocaching again. i have a car sat nav and i know its not going to be the best system, but it should still help me to go hunting those caches.

i live in caithness and am a busy stay at home mother, but i hope to get out to make occasional forays into the wilds to find the treasure, lol.

i also hope to have a go at placing my own caches for you to go searching for.

anyone want to adopt a lazy unfit newbie?

Hi all, new to Geocaching and this seems to be as good a place as any to introduce myself :)

I'm in Cheshire and I seem to be getting the hang of things, since I've already managed to find a couple of caches (and I'm sure I've got the right place for a 3rd - but the pesky little nano in question is proving elusive :D )

October 2007 myself ,Wirral (near HazelS) know what you mean about elusive nanos :lol:

no one wants to adopt me :blink:

like i said before i live in caithness and am a total newbie. i also make near frequent visits to epping forest, which is where i used to live. so any caithness / sutherland or essex / london members id love to get networking with you.

Edited by paganfrog

no one wants to adopt me :lol:

like i said before i live in caithness and am a total newbie. i also make near frequent visits to epping forest, which is where i used to live. so any caithness / sutherland or essex / london members id love to get networking with you.

You may be lazy and unfit (see above..not my words).. but if you get the caching bug the weekly caching excercise will be of great value both physically and mentally.I would recommend you try to find a few 1st,as you may find some inner city-town ones just using google maps and the cache clues and hints.I found 40 before I bought a gps. :blink: Sorry I cannot volunteer to network as I'm far too grumpy to cache with others! :ph34r:

... no one wants to adopt me :ph34r: ...

Don't be disheartened, paganfrog :lol: Remember, only a small percentage of UK geocachers use this Forum regularly and it's quite likely that nobody from your area has noticed your posting: It maybe that there are not many geocachers in the Caithness region.

You could try the "direct approach" by searching for caches in your locality (or in the Epping Forest area) and then look at the profile pages of the cache owners. Their listed location may give an indication where they live. Try emailing a few of them through the link on their profile page and ask whether they would be willing to meet up with you to show you "the basics".

Good luck!

MrsB :blink:

Hi all

I'm brand spanking new to this. I bought a Garmin GPS 60CSx a couple of weeks ago (secondhand but a bargain!) and had a go at finding a couple of nearby caches. I found the locations ok, but couldn't find the caches!! :blink: .

Now I can use the basic functions of the GPS, but I know it can do a lot more to help me. So is there anyone out there who would care to adopt me? :lol:

I live in the Buckingham area and work in MK

Many thanks

Hi all

I'm brand spanking new to this. I bought a Garmin GPS 60CSx a couple of weeks ago (secondhand but a bargain!) and had a go at finding a couple of nearby caches. I found the locations ok, but couldn't find the caches!! :ph34r: .

Now I can use the basic functions of the GPS, but I know it can do a lot more to help me. So is there anyone out there who would care to adopt me? :)

Many thanks

If you want to drop me a mail through my GC profile we'll see what we can do!

Must say though that I'm off to Paris tomorrow so it may take a day or so.

Hi all

I'm brand spanking new to this. I bought a Garmin GPS 60CSx a couple of weeks ago (secondhand but a bargain!) and had a go at finding a couple of nearby caches. I found the locations ok, but couldn't find the caches!! :ph34r: .

Now I can use the basic functions of the GPS, but I know it can do a lot more to help me. So is there anyone out there who would care to adopt me? :)

Many thanks

I hit Buckingham and MK quite a bit but off camping with the Karate club today! Back Saturday. Contact me.

The Sonatellas are always here to help and we email newbies on a regular basis offering our help. We has some great help at the start and if anyone remembers we did not find our first 6 caches. Is that a record? If anyone wants help in the Plymouth area we are here. Just remember we are Lord and Lady and expect to be addressed in a fitting manner please. Ta very much luvs :unsure::blink::D