Adopt-a-newbie!

Well having got hooked geocaching in America I would like to find a few in England. Kind of difficult right now since I dont have a GPS and do not drive. My location isnt to great either (Nort Northumberland). Anyway I was wondering if anyone would like to adopt me so I could come out on a few cache hunts, or even just be able to email you with any questions I may have. Thanks for your time:)

i'd just typed out a long post and then the page crashed

all i wanted to say was that Sensei TSKC adopted me for the day. There is no way I would have found any of these caches. I just didn't have a clue what I was looking for. Sensei was very helpful showing what to do and what to look for.

For anyone not sure of what they're doing I would highly suggest posting here

Many thanks to Sensei TSKC

Edited by benp1
i'd just typed out a long post and then the page crashed

all i wanted to say was that Sensei TSKC adopted me for the day. There is no way I would have found any of these caches. I just didn't have a clue what I was looking for. Sensei was very helpful showing what to do and what to look for.

For anyone not sure of what they're doing I would highly suggest posting here

Many thanks to Sensei TSKC

Thank you for the kind words Ben.

LeanBeanMachine

It would help if we knew where in England you were.

Hi Leanbeanmachine, Where abouts in North Northumberland are you ? I live in Newcastle and would be happy to give you any hints or tips on geocaching, i have only been caching for about 3 or 4 months but i have found 49 and placed 9 of my own caches and i am totally hooked ! Just drop me an email if you need any advice etc ! :(

Cheers DGC808

Are there any Geocachers around the Heathrow Airport area. Brother is going to Germany and has a 6 hour layover at Heathrow and since there is a cache in the area he would like to visit it... but having never been there before it could be a big challenge and where do you start? Don't figure that you could just walk to it.

If you would consider helping, please let me know. Thanks.

HondaGirl2006

Nova Scotia

Canada

email: hondagirl2006(at)atlanticgeocaching.com

Edited by Deceangi

"Sounds good to me, you would be able to search for a local cacher close to your home address."

:wub: Seems to me that the easiest solution would be to encourage people to place a "home" cache - close enough to home without giving anything away - with an explanation and any contact details you might want to add on the cache page. Those lovely people at GC could even create a new category for it..?? Then any newbies could run a search from their home co-ords, and pick from the listing.

As a side line, this would also let you know of any other cachers generally in your area. :ph34r:

Well having got hooked geocaching in America I would like to find a few in England. Kind of difficult right now since I dont have a GPS and do not drive. My location isnt to great either (Nort Northumberland). Anyway I was wondering if anyone would like to adopt me so I could come out on a few cache hunts, or even just be able to email you with any questions I may have. Thanks for your time:)

Hi I too live in North Northumberland along with several other cachers.

I sure one of us will be able to help/adopt.

Drop me a line via my contact page if you like

Kevin

Hello, I am new to Geocaching and new to using a G P S ! ( I have a Garmin eTrex Venture Cx - yellow with black buttons ! lol) :D

So I would like to be adopted / helped to get started.

I live in Brighton. (Patcham actually !)

Is there a Brighton Geocachers Group that I could join?

or is there any one local / in Sussex who would give me a hand to get started?

Please email me on my yahoo email address (in my profile) if you can help.

Hope to hear from you soon ~ thanks, Mike

Hello, I am new to Geocaching and new to using a G P S ! ( I have a Garmin eTrex Venture Cx - yellow with black buttons ! lol) :D

So I would like to be adopted / helped to get started.

I live in Brighton. (Patcham actually !)

Is there a Brighton Geocachers Group that I could join?

or is there any one local / in Sussex who would give me a hand to get started?

Please email me on my yahoo email address (in my profile) if you can help.

Hope to hear from you soon ~ thanks, Mike

Hi Mike, Welcome to the addiction.

You'll soon learn that there are no real 'local' caching groups to speak of - not organised anyway. You'll meet other cachers in the field - literally - and at events. You'll move on from there.

Good luck.

Oss!

Well if there or no organised groups have you any idea how I can cet in touch with a Geocacher who would be happy to help me with my gps unit and then give a few clues as to how to find a cache ?

Help needed please.

Mike

ps I hope I have done this reply correctly ?

Hi Mike, Welcome to the addiction.

You'll soon learn that there are no real 'local' caching groups to speak of - not organised anyway. You'll meet other cachers in the field - literally - and at events. You'll move on from there.

Good luck.

Oss!

Mr oxo - If your Guiding Angel angel.gifhas not appeared yet it may simply be that not many geocachers from your area have been checking this Forum thread recently - Do not despair!

I would suggest you try looking at the list of your local geocaches to see who's placing most of them. Then have a look at the cachers' profiles to see who lives near to you. You could contact one or two of them through the "Send a message" link and see if anyone is willing to meet up with you for a couple of hours for some one-to-one tuition. Good luck!

MrsB :huh:

Thank you Mrs. B for your reply. What you suggest makes good sense.

I wonder if you could help me with another little problem ? When I make a post or two in these forums, can I make a "bookmark" of the forums that I have posted in so that I can easily come back and see if I have had a reply to my post/s ? or do I just have to keep scrolling and searching and hoping that I will find the forum that I posted in ? I realise that my post + any reply will be at the end of that forum.

I hope you have a quick fix for this.

Allso what is "guided mode" I think I need guidence !

Thanks for your help ~ Mike

Various ways to help with this - when you reply to a topic, before you hit 'send', there is a tick box you can select to enable e-mail notification of replies - which is useful!

Also, obviously, any posts with unread replies will be near the top (hopefully)! Additionally, the little envelope on the left will be dark blue rather than light blue to show there are unread posts. Finally, and most usefully, in the same little blue envelope, any thread which you have posted in gains a little white mark in the bottom right corner of the envelope - this is very useful for quickly seeing what threads you have posted in!

Oh, and this all applies to IE... If you have firefox instead, there are some lugins available to make your forum enjoyment far greater!

Various ways to help with this - when you reply to a topic, before you hit 'send', there is a tick box you can select to enable e-mail notification of replies - which is useful!

Also, obviously, any posts with unread replies will be near the top (hopefully)! Additionally, the little envelope on the left will be dark blue rather than light blue to show there are unread posts. Finally, and most usefully, in the same little blue envelope, any thread which you have posted in gains a little white mark in the bottom right corner of the envelope - this is very useful for quickly seeing what threads you have posted in!

Oh, and this all applies to IE... If you have firefox instead, there are some lugins available to make your forum enjoyment far greater!

That applies to all browsers, plus there's be a little orange button next to the title of unread threads. It takes you to the post after the one you read last.

Edited by Edgemaster

That applies to all browsers, plus there's be a little orange button next to the title of unread threads. It takes you to the post after the one you read last.

good point - i was thinking that FF changed the look, but it doesn't... the l'il orange button is my favourite B) (not including the one with the red cross (I think) in certain Firefox extensions.... :huh:B)

Allso what is "guided mode" I think I need guidence !

Thanks for your help ~ Mike

I don't know - I've never used it! (I'm not very technical :huh: )

But if you want to reply to a specific comment in another posting in the thread and "quote it" (as I have just done with your query above) then click "Quote" and then "Reply" in the bottom right corner of the box. This will put all that previous post into your reply box. You don't have to use all of the quote from the other person - just delete out the bits you don't want.

MrsB

Thank you P P for trying to help me.

""any posts with unread replies will be near the top "" I am not sure what you mean by this ?

The last 10, posts are in reverse order that I am now seeing ??

""the little envelope on the left will be dark blue"" I am not able to find this when doing this reply to you ? Should I be able to see it ?

I do use Mozillar F F ""there are some lugins"" I take that to read plugins ?

Thank you for all your help - wish I could find that small blue envelope that changes colur and has white marks in it ? As well as ""the l'il orange button is my favourite"" that edgemaster speaks of ?

Email notification of replys now seems to be working - that is somthing positive !

One day all this will become easy to me ! LOL

Thanks again ~ Mike

""any posts with unread replies will be near the top "" I am not sure what you mean by this ?

The last 10, posts are in reverse order that I am now seeing ??

""the little envelope on the left will be dark blue"" I am not able to find this when doing this reply to you ? Should I be able to see it ?

I do use Mozillar F F ""there are some lugins"" I take that to read plugins ?

Thank you for all your help - wish I could find that small blue envelope that changes colur and has white marks in it ? As well as ""the l'il orange button is my favourite"" that edgemaster speaks of ?

Email notification of replys now seems to be working - that is somthing positive !

One day all this will become easy to me ! LOL

Thanks again ~ Mike

sorry - not very clear there I realise!

Most of what I was referring to is on the 'front page' of the forums (this bit). The little envelopes, or folders, as I've just realised they are, are on the left hand end of each topic... light blue, dark blue, light red and dark red... I'm at home now, in Firefox, and it appears that any topic which you have posted in has a yellow blob in the centre of this little icon (or is this a plugin) .

I'll leave it there for the moment... hopefully someone can post a link to the forum addon script... hint hint...

Feel free to e-mail me any further questions about this bit, rather than taking over this thread! lol!

Hope that helps :blink:

Dave

hopefully someone can post a link to the forum addon script... hint hint...

Ok, here's some background info on plugins.

I hope that's straightforward :blink:

<--- (If you want, use the PM button just down a bit to the left, to contact me)

Now, back to the scheduled programme - newbie adopting.

Edited by Edgemaster

"You'll soon learn that there are no real 'local' caching groups to speak of - not organised anyway. You'll meet other cachers in the field - literally - and at events. You'll move on from there."

For anyone interested in Geocaching in Wales there is a new local group- AberCachers - based in North Ceredigion(Ynyslas/Aberystwyth/Aberaeron). We welcome new members to the forum.

If you are visiting the area and would like local caching information, check out our website at www.aber-cachers.co.uk. We had our first group expedition last weekend with more planned in the near future. :signalviolin:

Good to see Red Kite promoting aber-cachers. The idea was really to let newbies and people visiting the area get some info from local cachers and of course to let local cachers keep in contact with each other. Hopefully at the same time we can promote responsible and safe geocaching and encourage new people to start caching.

The website and aber-cachers is all very new, but so far it seems to be having a positive effect in the area. A nice little community is developing and the number of caches in the area is on the up.

If there are any newbies in Wales, then feel free to take a look around, there will undoubtedly be someone there to hold your hand and help out where needed

Al.

Hello all,

I am getting emails telling me of post's into a thread ? of a topic? that I have posted into - that is good.

I am living in hopes that one day a person will pop up and say " hello I would like to adopt a newbie and I live near Brighton"

I do not exactly live in a small rural hamlet !! Brighton and Hove is a CITY !

so I am still waiting and hoping to be adopted ! lol

Regards Mike

Hello all,

I am getting emails telling me of post's into a thread ? of a topic? that I have posted into - that is good.

I am living in hopes that one day a person will pop up and say " hello I would like to adopt a newbie and I live near Brighton"

I do not exactly live in a small rural hamlet !! Brighton and Hove is a CITY !

so I am still waiting and hoping to be adopted ! lol

Regards Mike

I'm sure their are plenty of people willing to adopt you in the Brighton area. :P

Just make sure you don't go home with them! :rolleyes:

Be happy to help anyone in and around norwich/norfolk. Friendly bunch over here and we are meeting on the 26th in Brundall.

;) Hi,

I live in Norwich and am interested in geocaching with my 8 year old son. I don't have a gps unit yet. But will get one soon. Should I get a Garmin etrex or should I get something better? Do you go geocaching in groups?

Nicola

Be happy to help anyone in and around norwich/norfolk. Friendly bunch over here and we are meeting on the 26th in Brundall.

;) Hi,

I live in Norwich and am interested in geocaching with my 8 year old son. I don't have a gps unit yet. But will get one soon. Should I get a Garmin etrex or should I get something better? Do you go geocaching in groups?

Nicola

Welcome!

Garmin etrex is fine, we started with the yellow, and found 300+ before I "upgraded" to a Garmin Legend!

K now uses the yellow.

We cache in a group of 2, many cache solo. Some get together to do a days caching trip. Its whatever you want to do.

G

Hi all,

My partner & I are hoping to get into Geocaching, but don't yet have any kit - is there anyone around the Birmingham area (south ideally, but I can drive) who'd be willing to help a couple of newbies on their way to happy finding?

Cheers,

Heather

Welcome. I think Bucks is too far South though! Otherwise I'd be willing to help you both.

Hello - I'm a newbie and can't wait to have a go at geocaching but I'm also a bit scared of doing anything wrong.

It would be good if I could join up with a local "oldie" :( there is so much to read on here and I don't have a GPS/PDA thingy yet.

I'm in Nottingham! :laughing:

Welcome cleverdogs :laughing: Hopefully another cacher from your area will notice your request here and come to your aid. Failing that, why not contact one of your local cachers directly, by clicking on their name, on a cache listing? You can then send them an email through their profile to explain your situation. I'm sure you'll find one who'd be willing to take you to a cache one afternoon - That way you can find out how the game actually works and decide whether it's really for you.

(Alternatively, back away from the pc now, and never venture onto this forum again. Once hooked, you may be here for life :laughing: )

MrsB