Adopt-a-newbie!

Hello O great cachers with the wisdom of the ages very newbie here in Livingston West Lothian, Im 12 miles from Edinburgh and would love some help for my kids and I. I got a GPS for my HP iPAC and would love help advice how to use it lol. I remember as a child traveling round with my parents on treasure hunts loved it, have very fond memories getting lost (poor dad) A friend pointed me on here tho he dosent cache so any help would be greatfully accepted.

Martin

:laughing:

Well i am yet to buy a gps as they are sooo much money

we tried to find a cache using a o/s map but gave up!!! Got fed up with not finding and knowing we are so close

:laughing:

I live in the blackburn/accrington area and would love to tag along,

i have 2 kids and a husband and the kids have items thay want to leave in theboxes they find!!

hope someone can help

shadaf :laughing:

Edited by shadaf

I'd be glad to help out too if I can, North Northumberland.

Kevin

( I know I would have been glad of some help when I first started )

Hi Kevin,

I am in the Glasgow area. Will be down in the lake district soon when I hope to begin life as one of you.

I am using a pda with holux receiver. I have done everything up to the stage of downloading the waypoints but cant seem to be able to do it. I am premium member so I am able to use .loc and gpx. Any suggestions

david

Ive never read this thread for ages but looking back its very confusing who needs help and who is offering help (from a newbies point of view) :D

would it not be easier to publish a long list of counties and say Joe bloggs will help caches in this area and Fanny Adams will help caches in this area, and put a link from their name to their geo profile so the newbie could contact them.

I am sure it would be quite easy to do for those of you who are computer savy :D to do

Mandy :D

Google map?

Sounds good to me, you would be able to search for a local cacher close to your home address.

Having a map like that would be very helpful. I am in America and I have been reading this thread to find a cacher in the Iverness area of Scotland who would be interested in caching with some friends of mine who are going to be over there next week (July 16-23). They have actually not been caching before, I just introduced them to it and we are fumbling around the geocaching website trying to find the closest caches to the area they will be visiting. They don't actually have a GPS (yet?) but they were considering attempting a cache without one depending on what we could find, and I am sending them with a Travel Bug to at least photograph over there. It would be awesome if they could go on a caching expedition with a local cacher or at least meet up with one for a travel bug swap - i could try to round up some more bugs and coins for them to take over if that was the case! :unsure:

Hi i am from the south east coast of kent. i was hoping for some advice i am new to this i went out with one of my friends on tuesday and loved it, but the cost of a gps is quite high i was just hoping someone could recomend a good low cost unit to get me and my kids started.

Many thanks :laughing:

Hi i am from the south east coast of kent. i was hoping for some advice i am new to this i went out with one of my friends on tuesday and loved it, but the cost of a gps is quite high i was just hoping someone could recomend a good low cost unit to get me and my kids started.

Many thanks :laughing:

Welcome to the addiction :laughing: a Garmin Etrex Yellow is a good basic model to look for, especially on ebay.

Deceangi

Many thanks :(

Welcome to the addiction :( a Garmin Etrex Yellow is a good basic model to look for, especially on ebay.

Deceangi

Hi thanks for that i will keep my eye out for one

Sharm_light

:(

Hi, would any kind soul like to adopt a newbie, I live in South Derbyshire close to J24 of the M1.

I have found a few caches with my eight year old grandson and we both really enjoy our searches. We use a Garmin etrex Legend, but need help in knowing how to use it properly.

Thanks kindly

The Honeybirds

Hi, would any kind soul like to adopt a newbie, I live in South Derbyshire close to J24 of the M1.

I have found a few caches with my eight year old grandson and we both really enjoy our searches. We use a Garmin etrex Legend, but need help in knowing how to use it properly.

Thanks kindly

The Honeybirds

Hi

I'm sure someone will be willing to help you get started.

There is a map of the UK here with locations of cachers who are willing to help others start off in this great pastime.

Thanks kindly

The Honeybirds

Hi Honeybirds,

I'm South Derbys. too - send me a PM or email me through my profile and we can meet up.

Si from The Hokesters...

:unsure::blink::blink:

Davester's excellent idea to start an Adopt-a-Newbie thread prompted me to do just that...

If you are new to the game and would like a shepherd to help you with your first cache or two or maybe you don't yet have access to a GPS receiver then post your approximate location here to meet your local veterans who may be able to help show you the ropes.

Of course veterans can also offer there services here - just leave your name and general location.

Have fun....

Hi all. I am a complete newbie, having just found out about this two days ago. I have located some sites in my local area (Aberystwyth) and would be glad of some company, as I will be hunting on foot or pushbike, and without GPSr; although some of the easier ones should be managed without one for now.

Any hints or tips are also welcome.

Can't wait to get started :rolleyes:

Hi DragonLass here.

I am moving again. This time from Kent to North London.

I still haven't meet any Cachers, but then again I have not been very active.

I see that there are LOADS of Caches around Archway / Highgate........any Cachers nearby who would like to team up once in a while?

Many Thanks

Susan

Davester's excellent idea to start an Adopt-a-Newbie thread prompted me to do just that...

If you are new to the game and would like a shepherd to help you with your first cache or two or maybe you don't yet have access to a GPS receiver then post your approximate location here to meet your local veterans who may be able to help show you the ropes.

Of course veterans can also offer there services here - just leave your name and general location.

Have fun....

Hi all. I am a complete newbie, having just found out about this two days ago. I have located some sites in my local area (Aberystwyth) and would be glad of some company, as I will be hunting on foot or pushbike, and without GPSr; although some of the easier ones should be managed without one for now.

Can't wait to get started :P

:P Seems there are no geocachers in this area at all!!

:huh: I now have a Geko 201, and have found my first three caches without too much trouble, as I knew the areas they were in and the Geko just confirmed the location.

There don't seem to be any other caches in my local area so I wll be addressing that shortly. Maybe that will bring some people into the area, or get those in the area interested in caching. That way I will have someone to play with :P

Maybe my motto should be "Where there's a will there's a way" :P

Have fun....

Can't wait to get started :D

:ph34r: Seems there are no geocachers in this area at all!!

:laughing: I now have a Geko 201, and have found my first three caches without too much trouble, as I knew the areas they were in and the Geko just confirmed the location.

There don't seem to be any other caches in my local area so I wll be addressing that shortly. Maybe that will bring some people into the area, or get those in the area interested in caching. That way I will have someone to play with :rolleyes:

Maybe my motto should be "Where there's a will there's a way" :D

Well you have found your way into GeoChat which is always a good way to make GeoFriends - there will be someone out there to help you - I can guarantee it!

The Hokesters

Well that was fun! Can't wait till Llangollen.

Have fun....

:) Seems there are no geocachers in this area at all!!

:) I now have a Geko 201, and have found my first three caches without too much trouble, as I knew the areas they were in and the Geko just confirmed the location.

There don't seem to be any other caches in my local area so I wll be addressing that shortly. Maybe that will bring some people into the area, or get those in the area interested in caching. That way I will have someone to play with :D

Maybe my motto should be "Where there's a will there's a way" :)

Well you have found your way into GeoChat which is always a good way to make GeoFriends - there will be someone out there to help you - I can guarantee it!

The Hokesters

Hi, I've just bought a Garmin Geko 201, and now need to get out and use it! Wondered if there's enyone out there who fancies showing me the ropes. There's me and my 10 year old son and we're in Leeds but we're okay to travel a little.

Cheers, Lou

I will help if I can, you're not too far away from me

Hi DragonLass here.

I am moving again. This time from Kent to North London.

I still haven't meet any Cachers, but then again I have not been very active.

I see that there are LOADS of Caches around Archway / Highgate........any Cachers nearby who would like to team up once in a while?

Many Thanks

Susan

I'd be more than happy to meet up for some N.London cache action.

I've done a few on the London ring,and of corse the Archway bridge one too.

If your happy to go a little further north then I'm game also,as I prefer to be surrounded by trees not cars.

You can PM me if you so wish.

Regards,

Kevin ;)

I posted asking for help ages ago when I started, but apart from one friendly message that didn't amount to anything in the end, though I'm sure the intention was good....

so now I've done a few, I'll do it the other way...anyone wanting caching company in the southend/south east essex area, feel free to contact me :laughing:

Have fun....

:huh: Seems there are no geocachers in this area at all!!

:lol: I now have a Geko 201, and have found my first three caches without too much trouble, as I knew the areas they were in and the Geko just confirmed the location.

There don't seem to be any other caches in my local area so I wll be addressing that shortly. Maybe that will bring some people into the area, or get those in the area interested in caching. That way I will have someone to play with :lol:

Maybe my motto should be "Where there's a will there's a way" :P

The Hokesters

Quite a newbie myslef but I am just up the road from you in Ynyslas.

Al.

Have fun....

:D Seems there are no geocachers in this area at all!!

:rolleyes: I now have a Geko 201, and have found my first three caches without too much trouble, as I knew the areas they were in and the Geko just confirmed the location.

There don't seem to be any other caches in my local area so I wll be addressing that shortly. Maybe that will bring some people into the area, or get those in the area interested in caching. That way I will have someone to play with :D

Maybe my motto should be "Where there's a will there's a way" ;)

The Hokesters

Quite a newbie myslef but I am just up the road from you in Ynyslas.

Al.

Cheers Al, sent you an email.

Nice going davester :rolleyes:

I always wonder about emailing new cachers but don't like to spam people. I have some info in my profile about the forums just in case anybody looks

When I began caching a short while ago, I did receive an email from a cacher that just welcomed me to the community, and offered to help any way they could. I was most happy about this, made me feel really welcome.

Don't be bashful, if a newbie finds one of your caches, by all means, send email. If they don't like it, the delete button is down.............. \/ there.

Was reading the thread, and think your "Adopt a Newbie" program is a wonderful idea.

Nice going davester :anitongue:

I always wonder about emailing new cachers but don't like to spam people. I have some info in my profile about the forums just in case anybody looks

When I began caching a short while ago, I did receive an email from a cacher that just welcomed me to the community, and offered to help any way they could. I was most happy about this, made me feel really welcome.

Don't be bashful, if a newbie finds one of your caches, by all means, send email. If they don't like it, the delete button is down.............. \/ there.

Was reading the thread, and think your "Adopt a Newbie" program is a wonderful idea.

If a nerw cacher does one of my caches, I ALWAYS email to welcome them, and offer any help etc.. it's only polite!

Shiny brand new newbie here!

I've found one virtual, and that's it, can't seem to actually get my hands on the things. Is there anyone in Central London/Soho who'd be willing to meet up occasionally at weekday lunchtimes or after work to run me through the ropes and maybe let me play with their GPSr?

I'm getting a bit disillusioned at my crap finding skills :santa: please restore my fledgling faith in this pastime!!

Shiny brand new newbie here!

I've found one virtual, and that's it, can't seem to actually get my hands on the things. Is there anyone in Central London/Soho who'd be willing to meet up occasionally at weekday lunchtimes or after work to run me through the ropes and maybe let me play with their GPSr?

I'm getting a bit disillusioned at my crap finding skills :santa: please restore my fledgling faith in this pastime!!

PM / Email sent.