Adopt-a-newbie!

We were given a print out of this site from a friend, so we decided to come and have a look. We had never heard of Geocaching before but found it very interesting. We love to walk so we thought this would be an added bonus to our walking trips.

We decided to go and have a look around the Wigan area yesturday to see if we could find anything, we found a lot of mud and water but nothing else LOL. We have a Tom Tom sat nav but that was useless, but it was worth a try.

I live in the Wigan/Ashton area and my partner lives in Dudley. Most of our time is spent up north in Wigan so maybe someone can show us the ropes up here???

We are going to buy a suitable gps and are looking around for the best deal.

We cant wait to get started on this, it looks like we are going to be addicted!!

Lolly and Bob

We were given a print out of this site from a friend, so we decided to come and have a look. We had never heard of Geocaching before but found it very interesting. We love to walk so we thought this would be an added bonus to our walking trips.

We decided to go and have a look around the Wigan area yesturday to see if we could find anything, we found a lot of mud and water but nothing else LOL. We have a Tom Tom sat nav but that was useless, but it was worth a try.

I live in the Wigan/Ashton area and my partner lives in Dudley. Most of our time is spent up north in Wigan so maybe someone can show us the ropes up here???

We are going to buy a suitable gps and are looking around for the best deal.

We cant wait to get started on this, it looks like we are going to be addicted!!

Lolly and Bob

I also live in the Wigan/Ashton area, I have sent you a PM

Hi,

Been watching this forum for a couple of days now and this maybe something that I'd like to take up. I don't have any GPS equipment, but willing to go out with a veteran to see if I like it and invest in a GPS unit.

I live in Stafford. :)

Welcome!

I am sure somebody will respond to your plea soon. Enjoy the habit.

Oss!

i'm a lancashire cacher.

Me too! Well, sort of, I'm living in Germany for a bit doing a student internship (industrial placement) but I'm from Rossendale and go to university in Stafford. I wasn't half surprised to see how many active caches there are within 5 miles of my house. I thought it was the middle of nowhere!

Seems the Germans prefer to have puzzle caches, though. Nice bit of the old German language work, eh?

Anyway, yeah, hi everybody, I just got to this site. I used to do orienteering a few years ago in school, and back then I got told about something similar to geocaching using radio triangulation. It sounded interesting but I thought no more of it. My Dad's always been a keen walker, took us on sunday trips up Ingleborough and Scafell Pike and that, and I recently stumbled across some Geocaching info by accident.

It looks really fun, and I can't wait to give it a go. It'll be an excuse to get out of the house, at any rate. I'm thinking of getting an Explorist 210 to take part in the fun, although I won't start the real geocaching until I'm back in good old Blighty.

So, enough of my rambling, hello everybody :laughing:

Davester's excellent idea to start an Adopt-a-Newbie thread prompted me to do just that...

If you are new to the game and would like a shepherd to help you with your first cache or two or maybe you don't yet have access to a GPS receiver then post your approximate location here to meet your local veterans who may be able to help show you the ropes.

Of course veterans can also offer there services here - just leave your name and general location.

Have fun....

Davester's excellent idea to start an Adopt-a-Newbie thread prompted me to do just that...

If you are new to the game and would like a shepherd to help you with your first cache or two or maybe you don't yet have access to a GPS receiver then post your approximate location here to meet your local veterans who may be able to help show you the ropes.

Of course veterans can also offer there services here - just leave your name and general location.

Have fun....

Well thanks to Mark GSX for pointing me in the right direction. :laughing: Now maybe we can get the ball rolling. Since my first email requesting some guidance, I have been and took the plunge and ordered a Garmin Etrex Legend. :laughing: Now whether this will be what we need for geocaching remains to be seen. BUT.....from what I have read here it seems like a good bet. Now all we need to do is to work out how to use it. This is where we could do with some help. :lol: Its all very well reading the manuals and figuring how the GPS works, but to do it within the confines of Geocaching, then I think we would benefit from some previous knowledge. Like i said, guidance in that area is needed. Talking of areas, we live in Whittington which is near to Downham market in Norfolk. So anyone close by who would be willing to help would be very welcome ? Now that my GPS is on its way I am feeling a little anxious to get started. :cry:

Best Regards......John & Ann (JFZ)

Be happy to help anyone in and around norwich/norfolk. Friendly bunch over here and we are meeting on the 26th in Brundall.

Hi Globetrotter, Norwich is about 45 minutes drive from here (Whittington) but if its convenient then me and my wife (Ann) would like to have a chat about this Geocaching lark...(Do you think it will ever catch on lol) I have just bought my first GPS (Garmin Etrex Legend) Havent a clue what radio station to set it on ( I like Radio 2) or even which gear to start it off in. Dont even know if its got reverse. But with a little help then all should be ok.

Let me know if we can meet for a chat.

Cheers.......John & Ann (JFZ)

I guess I'm still new; definately lonely! Anyone in the North Somerset area? :laughing:

There must be a few cachers in your area. Try searching for local caches and see what names pop up regularly and try contacting them through their profile. Most people into this will be more than happy to oblige. Good luck

Hi to anyone in the Kings Lynn Thetford area....We are still looking for someone to show us the ropes. Although we have been out and 'bagged' our first cache so we are not 100% incompetent, just 99.9%, and getting better., and we now have our own GPS. :smile: Although a bit of instruction would be nice :smile:

Hope to hear from you soon.......Red Squadron ( aka John & Ann )

I found my first Cache in mid sussex today having had my new toy :unsure: (Etrex Vista C) arrive this morning. I went to one close to home(The Roosthole). It was fun :unsure: , I know what I will doing most of this weekend!

Would be good to hear from other geocachers from the mid sussex area for hints & tips, maybe even meet up.

Wot No!

Well another 4 today, more planned tomorrow. I think it is great the homing in with the gps and then finding the cache within a few feet of that location.

No sensible remarks(only Sensei!!) or offers yet but in time it would be great to hook up with other sussex cachers.

Wot No! :ph34r:

Hi Tyz,

There's a thriving caching community in MK that I'm sure you'll soon get to know. :( We're from Silverstone, but I work in MK. Feel free to contact via our profile. Or keep a close watch for any new caches that might pop up in the next day or so (:laughing:) and meet us all in the FTF race!

Cheers,

Baz (milvus-milvus)

Edited by milvus-milvus

I am going to be geocaching in the Luton - Milton Keynes area to begin with.

I am not a million miles away in SW Hertfordshire. My movements can be unpredicatble, but certainly drop me a mail once you spot how many caches there are over Berkhamsted way and start to get tempted.

Alison

Did my first cache today, on the outskirts of Luton. Really enjoyed it. Nice easy one to begin with, really muddy and wet, but loved it.

Role on the next.

Also activated my first Geocoin today. A day of firsts in many respects.

Thanks for all the emails guys and girls. I can feel myself getting hooked!

Tyz

Hi All

My Mum 'Skipalong' lives in Dulverton Somerset and is fairly new to geocaching. Although I have done a couple with her and tried guiding her, I live in Berkshire and therefore am not able to keep refreshing her memory!

If there is anyone that could give her a hand at getting more familiar with the GPS (Etrex Legend) that I got for her and to the quirks of geocaching in her area I would be very grateful to hear from you, or feel free to contact her directly through her profile.

Many thanks

Laughalot <_<

The Blorenges regularly wander around S.E. Wales to scrabble inside tree trunks, pull large black slugs out of holes, drop heavy rocks onto thumb nails and get wet to the ankles in reens...We would be happy to assist anyone in our area who wants to appreciate The Joys of Geocaching. Sometimes we even venture as far afield as Bristol or Gloucester or Weston Super Mare....

....and we're still here, if anyone needs help. <_<

MrsB

I'm so new that I haven't done my first outing yet,my wife, dogs and I hope to remedy that tomorrow (sunday) by going for a local cach.If anybody in Derbyshire (whaley bridge)want to show some newbies how it done then please get in contact. Any and all help happily received

I'm so new that I haven't done my first outing yet,my wife, dogs and I hope to remedy that tomorrow (sunday) by going for a local cach.If anybody in Derbyshire (whaley bridge)want to show some newbies how it done then please get in contact. Any and all help happily received

There are a few of us in and around the Manchester area, I'm sure you will be welcomed by all of us.

Firstly, a big thanks for offers of help. We did do our first cach a local one "The Edge" which was fun and infuriating because we have walked passed it for years on a daily basis and never knew it was there.

Thats the joys of caching, you drive past areas for years and its only until you get that yellow brick (or whatever you are using) and actually stop off and discover the hidden treasures behind the trees and hedgerows. :mad:

I'd be quite happy to support anyone in the Devon area (providing i don't keep breaking my GPS!!!) (Twice in the past 2 months!!)

:D:D

Wadders

HIya Wadders!

Paul, Helen, and Hamish the dog/otter here!

after looking for three unsuccessfully weare going back out tomorrow!

1st cache was a little ambiguously worded..... tree near heather ha ha

2nd was well buried we figure

3rd we have fugawi and are unable to directly download waypoints so a typo error meant we were aout 1km off!!

going to pop a few caches of our own out soon in the local area!!

ps bought a Otterbox armour for my pda.... we run a mioa201 with fugawi.

cheers!

Paul Hamish and Hound.

I'd be quite happy to support anyone in the Devon area (providing i don't keep breaking my GPS!!!) (Twice in the past 2 months!!)

:ph34r::D

Wadders

after looking for three unsuccessfully weare going back out tomorrow!

Paul Hamish and Hound.

You'll get days like that - but don't worry, it is so rewarding wehn you finally find the 'elusive' cache! Also, after you have found a few, you soon start to 'learn' where to look and have a much better and faster success rate!

Enjoy