Adopt-a-newbie!

I failed to find my first cache on my own today :blink: [officially my 2nd, but Alibags was with me at the time!] and might need someone local to Leicester to adopt me while I get used to cache types and hides. I also suspect that the cache has been muggled; if I had an expert with me they would have confirmed or denied this.

Are there any group meets and events in the Leicester area?

[snip] might need someone local to Leicester to adopt me [snip]

There is the impending Sheffield & Peak Meet if you are mobile or you can set up a PQ for Event Caches within a certain distance from your home co-ords.

We occaisionally wander into Leicestershire but have no plans to come that way for a while - sorry!

I failed to find my first cache on my own today :D [officially my 2nd, but Alibags was with me at the time!] and might need someone local to Leicester to adopt me while I get used to cache types and hides. I also suspect that the cache has been muggled; if I had an expert with me they would have confirmed or denied this.

I'm heading down your way, I'll give you a days guidense if you want!

might need someone local to Leicester to adopt me while I get used to cache types and hides.

Hi,

I'm based near loughborough. I'd be happy to assist in your caching endevours. Although not for the next few weekends as I'm moving into a new house. If you want, mail me on nottrikk (at) hotmail (dot) com

Mark S.

Team Nottrikk

PQ for Event Caches within a certain distance from your home co-ords.

Sorry for being dim, what's a PQ? Can I set up a virtual cache in the middle of the city before I reach my tenth find? I'm a long term experienced GPS user, but a beginner in caching [well, almost]. I don't think even a micro will last for long on the first site I have in mind. There are some nice sites in and around Leicester not much known about and I would like to set some up in the future for people who either happen to be visiting for the day shopping or are there for Geocaching.

All comments welcome ;)

I like your "Adopt-A-Newbie" idea, but how about Adopt-A-Newbie from another country. We live in the USA and will be visiting around the 1st of August. We have never been to your county before and are very excited to have a chance to spend a few days making new friends, and of course finding a few Geocaches. So how about someone Adopting-A-Newbie from another country? We are not new to Geocaching, just new to Geocaching in another country.

Edited by keiko
Sorry for being dim, what's a PQ? Can I set up a virtual cache in the middle of the city before I reach my tenth find? I'm a long term experienced GPS user, but a beginner in caching [well, almost]. I don't think even a micro will last for long on the first site I have in mind. There are some nice sites in and around Leicester not much known about and I would like to set some up in the future for people who either happen to be visiting for the day shopping or are there for Geocaching.

All comments welcome ;)

Quote straight off the geocaching.com page (you do need to be a Premium Member, though) :-

Pocket Queries: This is a great service for people who like to spontaneously geocache, have limited access to the Internet, or just want a more precise list of geocaches based on their personal search criteria. As a Premium Member you can now download custom queries of geocaches and download them in eBook format to your PDA! You also receive a LOC or GPX file to upload to your GPS using the freely available EasyGPS software, or view them in various applications that support GPX and/or LOC. Queries can be customized to search by cache type, ones you haven't found, caches hidden between dates, and many other alternative search methods. It's like having a copy of Geocaching.com in your pocket :P. Up to 5 Queries can be generated as often as on a daily basis, and are emailed directly to your in-box. You can download an example of an eBook file here (You will need a copy of Mobipocket Reader in order to view. It's free!)

As for virtuals... I suggest that you e-mail Mr Lactodorum or Mr Eckington and put your idea straight to them. Virtuals are notoriously hard to get approved at the moment but you may be lucky.

I like your "Adopt-A-Newbie" idea, but how about Adopt-A-Newbie from another country. We live in the USA and will be visiting around the 1st of August. We have never been to your county before and are very excited to have a chance to spend a few days making new friends, and of course finding a few Geocaches. So how about someone Adopting-A-Newbie from another country? We are not new to Geocaching, just new to Geocaching in another country.

Hi,

Sure I could show you some caches around my area, Buckinghamshire.

It would have to be in a weekend as I have work most days.

I will email you via your profile to arrange dates etc.

See ya...Gary

Conversely I could use some help finding those mountain caches :-)

'Too well hidden for me.' GCNPNG and GCKVA9

You've certainly jumped up from your first crop of cache finds, to try the 5 star GCNPNG and GCKVA9, I've not tried any 5 stars yet but if I successfully find these in future I'll keep you in mind.

I'm currently doing the rounds of the south lakes, started out using just a map with a 50% sucess rate before deciding to get a gps, had no problems with the gps with finds so far up to 3star.

Dave, Kendal

I live in the lake district, My dad is helping me learn to geocache.

I've just bought a Garmin Etrex Legend, very pleased with it.

The batteries last twice as long as my Dads Garmin Geko 201. :rolleyes:

It is slightly more difficult to learn the features.

the Geko 201 is easier to use.

If anyone anyone in our area wants help, my Dad and Me would be pleased to assist.

Balloo

Hi everyone!!! I'm new to Geocaching and have found my first cache now - I'm looking for a partner to go on Geocaching adventures with in either around South-East Essex/Suffolk/North Kent (at home) --- and/or around Chester, Liverpool, North-East Wales (my university area!). If you're interested, can help me out or looking for the same, please send me an e-mail!

My address is nick@opentoaster.net :lol:

Hope to hear from someone soon!

Many thanks and blessings,

Nick

This "mentor" concept is a wonderful idea and the entire geocaching community owes a debt of gratitude to the UK Geocachers who came up with it.

I am posting to alert everyone that the new Waymarking.com site has a category for this, called Geocaching Tour Guides. I've already been listed as a tour guide for my home area. Because waymarks can be searched by nationality, coordinates, etc., this will make it easy for new geocachers or those visiting the area to find someone to help them.

I hope that those of you who have been helping as mentors in the UK will consider adding your own entries to this category.

Once again, thanks from across the pond for this terrific idea.

Thanks Leprachauns!

I think this is a great idea - let's go and do it everyone!

You're quite welcome, and once again, thank you.

I forgot to mention in my prior post that it might also be a good idea to edit your Geocaching.com profile page to include a link to your "personal waymark" as a Geocaching tour guide. Newbies may not stumble onto Waymarking right away, and this would point them in the right direction. I'll be editing my profile very shortly. EDIT: Here is a link to my waymark as a tourguide.

Of course, for the time being the Waymarking site is for premium members only, but that will change soon enough.

Edited by The Leprechauns

Hi folks, I am a newbie and would like to be adopted please, Broadstone/Poole area of Dorset.

Also, if I may ask here, a quick query.

Yesterday I found a cache, my second, and took the TB to move it along. As soon as I got home, maybe an hour after finding the cache I logged in and reported I had the TB and logged the find.

This evening I am reading that someone visited the cache today and says there is no TB there, well I took it yesterday, is this possibly because between the time they last checked the website and arrived at the cache I had already been, or have I done something wrong in reporting?

Oh my goodness, I hope I haven't mucked up big time here!

The cache in question is Castleman Trail - Delph Woods Cache.

TIA <_<

Hi folks, I am a newbie and would like to be adopted please, Broadstone/Poole area of Dorset.

Also, if I may ask here, a quick query.

Yesterday I found a cache, my second, and took the TB to move it along. As soon as I got home, maybe an hour after finding the cache I logged in and reported I had the TB and logged the find.

This evening I am reading that someone visited the cache today and says there is no TB there, well I took it yesterday, is this possibly because between the time they last checked the website and arrived at the cache I had already been, or have I done something wrong in reporting?

Oh my goodness, I hope I haven't mucked up big time here!

The cache in question is Castleman Trail - Delph Woods Cache.

TIA <_<

Hi Dorsetgal

Sorry, we can't help with adoption as we live too far away.

With Reference to the TB. It is This One

The cache page states it is in the cache but obviously it is not

So you're not in trouble <_<<_<:lol:

The Blorenges regularly wander around S.E. Wales to scrabble inside tree trunks, pull large black slugs out of holes, drop heavy rocks onto thumb nails and get wet to the ankles in reens...We would be happy to assist anyone in our area who wants to appreciate The Joys of Geocaching. Sometimes we even venture as far afield as Bristol or Gloucester or Weston Super Mare....

Greetings from South Africa :D

I will be moving to the UK mid October and would like to know if there are any Geocachers in the Sutton (Surrey) area?

I know that I will be living initially in Grove Road, Sutton and would be REALLY grateful if someone could email me some co ordinates from that area so that I can have a look at what is around - or tell me how to do it myself.

My stats show Zero finds or Hides, but this is not the case. It is simply that I have split from team Azaruk. Infact we were the top placers of Caches in the country.

Starting caching in the UK is going to be very exciting and I am hoping it will help me to familiarise myself with the countryside. I haven't been back to the UK in 11 years!

If anyone would like to email me off line then they can use susansmylie@ananzi.co.za

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Greetings from South Africa :D

I will be moving to the UK mid October and would like to know if there are any Geocachers in the Sutton (Surrey) area?

I know that I will be living initially in Grove Road, Sutton and would be REALLY grateful if someone could email me some co ordinates from that area so that I can have a look at what is around - or tell me how to do it myself.

My stats show Zero finds or Hides, but this is not the case. It is simply that I have split from team Azaruk. Infact we were the top placers of Caches in the country.

Starting caching in the UK is going to be very exciting and I am hoping it will help me to familiarise myself with the countryside. I haven't been back to the UK in 11 years!

If anyone would like to email me off line then they can use susansmylie@ananzi.co.za

Looking forward to hearing from you.

co ords sent!

I think this is a wonderful idea. We ourselves have assisted newbies on thier way.

There is nothing like having a newbie to care for and nurture, watch them grow then settinging them off into the wilds to find freedom and caches. Then hopfuly one day they too will hear the pitta-patta of little cachers feet looking for thier hides, and find newbies of thier own. :laughing:

Edited by Jolly green giants

Newbie Lincoln-based Cacher checking in. So far I've been able to find 2 out of 3 caches without a GPS, and have been partnering with my mother - but it would be even better if I could find some like-minded adventurers closer to the age of 23 (someone who isn't as likely to suffer stiff joints so much) to meet up with. :signalviolin:

I'm fairly new to the area, so it would be a good excuse for me to meet some peers and get out of the house on a regular basis. Hooray for Treasure Huntin'!

I've ordered the yellow ETrex, but shipping seems to be taking forever.

Hi all

I got a yellow etrex for my birthday last month and would really like to explore East Lothian with child/buggy/pedestrian-friendly types.

I would especially like help hiding my first cache (which will probably be in the Prestonpans area).

Jan

Oh, and you can find out more about us and our interests at our website - http://www.barker-family.info

Edited by j-bar03