Indian Head Pennies

Kybra

I would really like one or a few Indian head pennies. I am wondering if this would be the right forum to ask if a Cacher in the States would be able to set them up a travel bug to get to one of my caches locally.... I think it would be very interesting and a great accomplying story to see the journey these items would take to get here rather than getting them through Ebay or the like. :mad:

Edited by Kybra

While we're on the subject, I really like one or a few gold bars. I am wondering if this would be the right forum to ask if a Cacher would be able to set them up a travel bug to get to one of my caches locally.... I think it would be very interesting and a great accomplying story to see the journey these items would take to get here rather than getting them through the mint or the like. :huh::mad:

;)

Indian Head pennies are our signature items that we leave in "good" caches. They are 1904 and 1906 which are the years my Father and Mother were born (kind of a small way to honor them). You can obtain them from any good coin store from 50 cents on up depending on the year and grade of the coin. This might be an easier way to get the coins and then start a TB with one of them.

P.S. After my initial post I went to your profile and realize that you are in Australia. Sorry, I should have checked first before giving you the "coin store" advice. Send me your address and I will mail you one of our pennies. Anything for our good Aussie friends.

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

OK this is slightly off topic but still in the same general area so here goes:

Anyone know where how to get/buy Sacagawea dollars?

We have found a few in caches and always thought they were neat prizes to swap with. I went looking around the internet to find a place to find/buy some - the problem is that every place I found sells the collector's versions (i.e. in a case or at least uncirculated). While this is OK, I would prefer the less pricey, run of the mill variety.

Are these coins being hoarded that much that they are unavailable?

Hey bigcall,

Beside caching, I am sort of into coin collecting. The best place to get those coins is to make the rounds of several branch banks and ask for them. Sometimes you can just call the bank and ask. That would be the cheapest way. Also check the U.S.Mint.org. I believe you can buy them by the roll. :ph34r:

Yup-

Also, give Ebay a try. (GASP!!) I have had good luck and gotten some pretty decent deals there.

I found two real good places to get Sac dollars.

My bank hates these things and will gladly exchange them for paper money.

I'm sure other banks feel the same way.

Also if your local post office has a stamp machine in the lobby that takes bills, it probably gives out dollar coins (Sac and SBA dollars) as change.

For awhile I was on a personal crusade to make these popular. I'd get two rolls every payday and use them everywhere. I'd get comments from cashiers and bartenders ranging from "do you really want to pay with these?" to " I'm sorry, we don't accept Canadian money".

I stopped doing it only because the banks around me just don't have the coins anymore.

But the NYC subway system does give them (and the SBA dollars) as change, so the few times I get them these days is when I ride the subway,

For awhile I was on a personal crusade to make these popular.

Ha! What a coincidence...I've been going out of my way to mock and revile them, myself. The Sacajawea and SB Anthony dollars are two of the butt-ugliest coins the US ever minted (though, granted, that was before the 50-states quarters) and they both had the same grievous, deal-killing design flaw -- far too close in shape, size and color to the quarter.

I'm not keen on giving up our paper ones, no matter how much we'd save by doing it, but if we have to go with a $1 coin, check out the British £1 for a more practical shape and size.

Oh, and if those two chicks are the best my gender has to honor and look up to, I'm going to slink back to the kitchen.

The indian head penny is a great coin, but even better is the buffalo nickel. Fantastic bit of sculpture, both sides, and one of the few "indian heads" in American public art that really looks like an indian.

For awhile I was on a personal crusade to make these popular.

Ha! What a coincidence...I've been going out of my way to mock and revile them, myself. The Sacajawea and SB Anthony dollars are two of the butt-ugliest coins the US ever minted (though, granted, that was before the 50-states quarters) and they both had the same grievous, deal-killing design flaw -- far too close in shape, size and color to the quarter.

I'm not keen on giving up our paper ones, no matter how much we'd save by doing it, but if we have to go with a $1 coin, check out the British £1 for a more practical shape and size.

Oh, and if those two chicks are the best my gender has to honor and look up to, I'm going to slink back to the kitchen.

The indian head penny is a great coin, but even better is the buffalo nickel. Fantastic bit of sculpture, both sides, and one of the few "indian heads" in American public art that really looks like an indian.

We leave lots of Sac dollars in caches.

But one of the things we seem to have a lot of is $2 bills and SBA dollars.

My family has always been the type to invest in strange things. For example, one christmas, my grandfather got silver? bars for everyone in the family, I have mine sitting under my bed.

But my dad really has a crapload of weird stuff. I guess at one point, he thought that the SBA dollars were cool, and so he probably bought a hundred dollars worth, thinking they'd gain worth over the years. The same goes for the stacks of uncirculated two dollar bills he has sitting on his desk.

I wish $2 were more popular. One of my favorite stories involves a guy that went to taco bell, ordered a taco and a small drink and tried to pay with a $2. Needless to say, the chick was stupid and ended up calling mall security because she thought he was trying to pass counterfit money because $2 bills aren't real... lol.

OK this is slightly off topic but still in the same general area so here goes:

We have found a few in caches and always thought they were neat prizes to swap with. I went looking around the internet to find a place to find/buy some - the problem is that every place I found sells the collector's versions (i.e. in a case or at least uncirculated). While this is OK, I would prefer the less pricey, run of the mill variety.

Are these coins being hoarded that much that they are unavailable?

I happen to have one that migrated north, if you pay the shipping and handling and the buy-me-a-new-gps tax I'll give you it :mad:

I wish $2 were more popular.  One of my favorite stories involves a guy that went to taco bell, ordered a taco and a small drink and tried to pay with a $2.  Needless to say, the chick was stupid and ended up calling mall security because she thought he was trying to pass counterfit money because $2 bills aren't real... lol.

When I was a wee slip of a thing, I was playing in my parents' closet and found a nice crisp $2 in one of my mother's old handbags. I immediately knew my mother was a forger. I worried a great deal about whether I should turn her in.

That's right, I contemplated narking on my mom.

Boy did this OP get derailed in a hurry or what? Anyone else have anything to say about indian head pennies?

Totally off topic, I left a few golden dollars on some nearby railroad tracks, I carry one of the results in my pocket as a rubbing stone. I've left a few in caches, describing them as "Sacaguewa catches her train tokens." I think it sounds so much better than my first idea, "Little Jean Baptiste Charbanneau gets squished!" (There's one for you history buffs).

I wish $2 were more popular. One of my favorite stories involves a guy that went to taco bell, ordered a taco and a small drink and tried to pay with a $2. Needless to say, the chick was stupid and ended up calling mall security because she thought he was trying to pass counterfit money because $2 bills aren't real... lol.

When I was doing Wheres George, I used to cash my gas reimbursment checks from work, and get 100 $2 bills every two weeks and stamp and spend them, I had one girl make me wait over five minutes for her manager to get off the phone to ask if they accepted them to pay for a milkshake

When I was doing Wheres George, I used to cash my gas reimbursment checks from work, and get 100 $2 bills every two weeks and stamp and spend them, ...

SquareD22, a RI cacher, leaves a WG$2 in a cache, and calls it a "Where's George Jefferson."

(Movin' on up...to the east side...)

...check out the British £1 for a more practical shape and size. ...

I agree.

I happened to be in London the week that £2 coins hit the streets. I picked up a few at a post office. Are they still being used?

They would be great geocaching trade items (gotta mention geocaching now and then).

I happened to be in London the week that £2 coins hit the streets.  I picked up a few at a post office.  Are they still being used?

Oh, yes. Uncle Badger read in a magazine that they're the perfect size to fit in a 35mm film can; they suggested saving for your next camera by filling 'em up with coins. He managed to save £800 that way, a few coins a week, before he ran out of film canisters. (He got a Nikon).

I think it's strange that they've issued several versions, but 90% of the ones in circulation are one particular design. I think of it as the "crop circles" design.

2punt.jpg

But what does it mean?