Virtual Caches

gpsjester

At what stage can anyone setup a Virtual Cache ?

We have only just started Caching and only have one cache find to our name (Due to bad weather and a 4month old baby).

I have found something I think is of interest and would be good for a virtual cache site.

Are we ok to setup this virtual cache or do we need to gain more experience in "Cache locations" etc.

:mad:

If it fits the guidelines, there's no reason it shouldn't be approved. However, as noted, the guidelines are very strict on virtual caches. Many people now place a real cache close to the interesting object, and either use it as part of an offset, or suggest parking or a route which takes you past the interesting object.

Examples I can think of are the Major Oak, the well that Richard III drank from before losing his crown, Widford medieval village, a nuclear bunker, Lullington Church, the Long Man of Wilmington, Kitty Jay's grave, George Washington's old house. These all have a cache hidden in the vicinity, but not necessarily at the exact spot.

Cheers,

Stu

We've just had a virtual turned down which is abit disappointing, it does appear to be difficult to have one posted - we are now looking at putting a traditional or micro close by - somewhere else on this site with info for newbies it suggests doing about 10 caches before setting one of your own - but don't think it's etched in stone. there is also some info on vitual caches :rolleyes:

I've been in contact with my local council to seek permission to place a micro cache (my first hide) in a place of interest local to me. As yet I have had no reply, if they turn me down I would like to make it a "virtual cache" but these seem to be hard to get approved. If anyone has any ideas as to how to get a "vitual" approved, I'd like to know :rolleyes:

Real caches are much better than virtuals.

Not always - a rubbish location is a rubbish location whether it is a physical or a virtual. A really good virt can be much better than half adozen easy physicalls. IMHO.

Chris

I tend to agree Chris but when reviewing caches we are bound by the guidelines. While we try to be flexible with "good" virtuals the guidelines severely limit our flexibility. ;)

I have to say that when I see some "lame" micros/regular caches in the review list my heart sinks sometimes. Unfortunately though, there is nothing in the guidelines to say they have to be in interesting/attractive/compelling locations so all things being equal they will get listed. ;)

Such is life!

As a fairly recent convert to the obsession who doesn't get out as often as he would like (due to kiddies) I understand the first thought of a virtual is easier. I therefore submitted one which was consequently turned down - with advice from the great and the good ;) I turned it into an offset cache.

Since then I have learnt loads about the different types of caches, sizes of containers, locations etc.

My £0.02 is

a) Keep the location in mind

;) do some micro's that others have done

c) see those magnets, Film canisters set in concrete or in little logs and consider them all

d) Then revisit the location

I know now that my first cache would be very different than it is. I presently have 2 locations I'm considering which are a lot closer to the first clue than the offset :P

Bob