Importing Waypoints Into Garmin Legend

LPtribe

8 people have looked here and NOT responded??????

I just barely loaded GSAK. And I also have a Legend.

On the GSAK toolbar, there is a "GPS" button. Click there, and select "Send Waypoints". If you havent yet set the Legend, then hit "Setup" and set it to Garmin and Com1(if that is where you have the serial connected).

You didn't say if you already had waypoints listed in GSAK......

if not, the way I have learned, is to select Waypoints, then New, then use the open file button to find the .gpx file

Or click the Open File icon, and then select the file.

First, you need to tell GSAK what type GPS you have, using the settings menu. Then make sure your Legend is set to Garmin interface, connected, and turned on. Then click Send Waypoints. Make sure your serial port isn't being used by any other programs, such as your PDA, and that the com port setting in GSAK is actually the port your GPS is connected to. You may have only one physical serial port, but you can have many virtual ports, and you have to select the correct one. You may have to find it by trial and error.

if not, the way I have learned, is to select Waypoints, then New, then use the open file button to find the .gpx file

Or just drag the gpx (or zip) file over the GSAK and release the mouse button.

how do you attach the label for THAT database when you do it that way?

Or just drag the gpx (or zip) file over the GSAK and release the mouse button.

how do you attach the label for THAT database when you do it that way?

Label? :mad:

By dragging you can add the GPX data to the currently open database.

(Sorry if I didn't understand the question, my native language is not English)

I don't think I understand the label question either. If you drag a .gpx file and drop it onto GSAK, it's opened automatically. I don't usually do it that way, though, because it's more trouble than it's worth for me. I save the .zip files attached to my email in a folder, and then have GSAK open the entire folder of zip files at once, using the 'file open' icon on the tool bar. Dragging and dropping has never had much appeal for me. Maybe it's a character flaw.

You can also open a .gpx file by double-clicking on it while in Windows Explorer (the windows you get when you open My Computer).

Edited by NightPilot

:rolleyes: Thanks everyone for the help. Just in case anyone else tries to do this. GSAK only recognizes ports 1 through 4. So you need to make sure, ifyou are using a serial port emulator, that it is set to com port 1 through 4. Took me 2 hrs to figure that out.

P.S. When is Garmin going to release a USB cable interface? Having to use a serial port emulator for my laptop is a pain in the arse.

Lptribe

I don't think I understand the label question either. If you drag a .gpx file and drop it onto GSAK, it's opened automatically.

I just barely started using GSAK

I struggle with the patterns, that differ from typical windows methods.

In other programs, you open a file, then name it with "save as". So far with this, it seems I have to create a "new" database, name it, then open files to polulate it. I must be missing something.

When I tried opening a file first, it added it to whatever database was already seen last. When I asked about "label", I meant the name of the database.

GSAK just saves you some work. It automatically starts with a database named 'default'. You can change it, or have as many other databases as you like. New .gpx files are added to whichever database is open, or in view in GSAK. This isn't especially unusual behavior IME, but maybe I've seen a wider variety of programs, and I've written several. Why make the user save and name files when it isn't necessary?

I have a separate database that I named GPS Waypoints, and I periodically download all the waypoints from my GPS there for backup purposes. I have lots of stuff in my GPS that has nothing at all to do with geocaching, and I don't want to lose any of it. So I keep backup copies, and if I lose my GPS I can just buy another and load the waypoints into it, and be back in business. You can also keep separate databases for different caches, based on whatever you like, but to me this is a waste of resources, because the filters are so powerful.

New .gpx files are added to whichever database is open, or in view in GSAK.  This isn't especially unusual behavior IME

this is the part that throws me

when I open a new file of data, I want to work with just THAT data, not it plus whatever else is open

Then when loading the data, tick the box that says "clear database before loading". This is one of the advanced options, so if you can't see it on the open dialog click on the "advanced" button.