What's A Letterbox Hybrid?

sbell111

I posted this very same question in a poll 2 years ago and the overwhelming consensus was that a letterbox hybrid was both a letterbox and a geocache, not a geocache that is like a letterbox.

I've been going by that ever since.

I just looked at the website's definition and it isn't very clear, so some can argue that the latter is a letterbox hybrid as well, but I don't think the simple existence of a stamp would make it a letterbox hybrid.

Edited by briansnat

A letterbox hybrid is one that uses letterbox clues, but also coords. It should end like a letterbox (stamp and log). There are those that use the posted coord to get you to the starting point, then clues to the rest (or maybe clues in a first stage box), or there are those that get you started, then the clues you figure out will lead you to a set of coord where the final box is hidden. If it was listed on letterboxing.org, it would be a letterbox, not a hybrid...letterbox hybrids are exclusive to geocaching.com (maybe those "other" sites have them, but who looks at them???)

The Cache Listing Requirements/ Guidelines have this to say about the Letterbox Hybrid Cache Type:

Letterboxing is another form of treasure hunting that uses clues to direct hunters to a hidden container. Each letterbox contains a stamp which is the signature for that box. Most letterboxers have their own personal stamps and personal logbooks. They stamp the letterbox logbook with their personal stamp, and use the stamp contained in the letterbox to “sign” their personal logbook.

Letterbox hybrids are a mixture of letterbox and geocache. They should contain a signature stamp that stays with the box, and they must conform to the guidelines for traditional caches and therefore must contain a logbook. They must be referenced by latitude and longitude, not just clues. Whether or not the letterbox hybrid contains trade items is up to the owner. In most cases personal stamp and personal logbook are not necessary to be a seeker of a letterbox hybrid.

Note from the above (in the 2nd paragraph) that some reliance upon GPS is necessary, although letterbox-style clues can be used as part of a multi-stage hunt, or as an alternative means of locating the cache. It is *not* necessary to include letterbox-style clues, however. A letterbox hybrid can simply be located at coordinates X and Y.

The letterboxing stamp is mandatory; otherwise it would be a traditional cache. Listing the cache on a letterboxing site is at the hider's discretion and this does not play a part in the cache review process. Existing letterboxes may be cross-listed here if they meet the site's listing requirements.

Edited by Keystone Approver

I've been to about a dozen letterboxes, more than geocaches. Most of them have no stamp pad, or marker, or anything to ink the stamp with (most likely because there are far fewer letterboxers than geocachers), and a stamp pad or marker could dry up before anyone found it again. I've only found one letterbox with a stamp pad, and the pad it had was super high quality (i.e. long lasting, non-running, archival ink). All the others have been just like geocaches only smaller, and no trade items, other than a book for you to stamp, and a stamp for you to put in your book. It's just a stamp exchange, and most letterboxers carry thier own stamp inker, whether it be a stamp pad, a sharpie, or a marker, or whatever.

I guess the best way to find out what a letterbox is, would be to go find one for yourself, and see what it has.

To make the hybrid: Make a geochache with a ziplock in it that has the letterboxing stamp, and log in it...at least a stamp...the boxers can stamp a geocaching log if you like. And then list it as a hybrid, chances are there'll be a few letterboxers with GPSrs who can find it just fine. No need to list it on Letterboxing.org unless you want to. Letterboxing is a lot more loosly organized than Geocaching. ;)

Note from the above (in the 2nd paragraph) that some reliance upon GPS is necessary, although letterbox-style clues can be used as part of a multi-stage hunt, or as an alternative means of locating the cache. It is *not* necessary to include letterbox-style clues, however. A letterbox hybrid can simply be located at coordinates X and Y.

The letterboxing stamp is mandatory; otherwise it would be a traditional cache.

It seems to me that the name letterbox hybrid is a misuse of the notion letterbox if the presence of a stamp is the only requirement. You should then call these caches "stamp caches" or whatever.

I would not dare to call a cache letterbox hybrid if it does not contain letterbox style hints (this does not mean that they are needed to find the cache, but that at least an alternative way is provided to find the cache).

There is something else I am wondering about: Do letterbox hybrids have to be traditional caches? Until now I thought that also a multi stage type cache might make up a letterbox, but what you posted above seems to contradict the potential multi stage character.

Cezanne

Until now I thought that also a multi stage type cache might make up a letterbox, but what you posted above seems to contradict the potential multi stage character.

I don't see why a letterbox hybrid would have to be a traditional. It can be at the postd coordinates (as KA mentioned), or the coords can be a starting point and you can follow letterbox like clues to find the cache (an type of offset cache).

I guess in theory it can be a standard multi cache and still be a letterbox hybrid if it has a stamp and it is also a letterbox.

It seems to me that the name letterbox hybrid is a misuse of the notion letterbox if the presence of a stamp is the only requirement. You should then call these caches "stamp caches" or whatever

I don't think he said its the ONLY requirement, but that its a requirement.

Sure, why couldn't you make it a multi-letterbox-geocache-hybrid. There are multi-letterboxes. I set one out with 6 different stamps in a park where you had to go from box to box. But, you could do them out of order if you like. There's one I saw with clues to a stamp that was cut into 3 different pieces, and you had to find each piece to complete the stamp. So, I guess it was a puzzle-mulit-letterbox.

I do like the idea of letterboxy type clues to find a hybrid. I haven't seen a hybrid like that yet, but I'm sure one will come up at some point; where you can find it with a GPSr, or just by following the clues. I kinda like following clues ;) Would it be approved if you could follow letterboxy clues, or a GPS? I suppose it would be as long as you had GPS coordinates, right?

I am both geocacher and letterboxer. I have made 3 of my 18 letterboxes a letterbox hybrid on gc.com. I have posted the clues on letterboxing.org AND gc.com. The letterboxers get the letterbox type clues (as they don't own a gps) and the geocachers get the usual information. Once you find my letterbox hybrid, you will find a handmade carved stamp, log book that works for everyone, and also trading items too for the cachers. I just label the stamp with DO NOT TAKE signs and what not so they don't get confused if seeing it before looking at the cache listing. Only one time have I had someone take my letterbox (it was a cool stamp) since then I just don't put out my *best* stamps. There have even been some cachers who have gotten their own stamp after finding a few of mine :mad:

I don't see why a letterbox hybrid would have to be a traditional.

I don't think he said its the ONLY requirement, but that its a requirement.

Regarding the cache type:

Because KA wrote

"The letterboxing stamp is mandatory; otherwise it would be a traditional cache. "

Removing the stamp from a multi cache, does not turn it into a traditional one, right?

If the term traditional here means something else (just normal geocache), then the usage of the term is very unfortunate and should be clarified.

Regarding the requirement: According to the guidelines a traditional geocache that contains a stamp is a letterbox hybrid. There is no requirement for having letterbox type clues which would be quite logical for me when I call this object "a letterbox hybrid".

Edited by cezanne