eTrek legend

Guest relichound

Guest relichound

I am just getting started in this hobby. I had posted before that I had a Lowrance GM100. I returned that unit and purchased a eTrek legend. I like the more compact size. Can anyone give me any input on the legend? How does it perform in the woods?

Thanks,

Jerry

Guest tecmage

Hi,

We have a Legend. You're right about the compactness. We've had it a few months now. It does suck the batteries dry if you use the compass feature. We started using rechargable batteries and that has made the situation better.

Since this is the only unit we've owned, I can't speak to the reception versus other units. It's probably no better than the other Garmins in the Etrex line. The benefit for us is the ability to view and load maps. Tracy and myself went on a cache hunt in Kansas City memorial day weekend and it was nice to have the map of KC with the caches listed.

Richard

Guest WaylandersMA

quote:
Originally posted by tecmage:

Hi,

It does suck the batteries dry if you use the compass feature.

??? Compass feature on eTrex Legend eats batteries? Is your eTrex grey? Then it's a Summit with a compass that eats batteries. If it is blue, it is a Legend, no compass.

Paul

Guest WaylandersMA

Jerry,

I got the blue Legend too. It's perfect for geocaching. Go to campmor.com and type "compass" into search. Get a decent compass and you're all set.

You can get a nice Brunton 8097 for $35.

The compass is handy when you get close to the cache.

Paul

Paul

Guest relichound

Thanks for the info Paul. I got out a little with it today and it seems to be a awesome little receiver. I am a avid relic and fossil hunter but really want to get into geocaching. Any help you could give me would be helpful.

Jerry

Guest Nemesis

quote:
Originally posted by WaylandersMA:

Is your eTrex grey? Then it's a Summit with a compass that eats batteries.

I've got a grey Legend icon_wink.gif (i.e., a Summit). It really does eat batteries with the compass turned on!

Cheers,

Donovan Govan.

Guest Nemesis

quote:

Is your eTrex grey? Then it's a Summit with a compass that eats batteries.

I've got a grey Legend icon_wink.gif (i.e., a Summit). It really does eat batteries with the compass turned on!

Cheers,

Donovan Govan.

Guest chrome

quote:
Originally posted by relichound:

Thanks for the info Paul. I got out a little with it today and it seems to be a awesome little receiver. I am a avid relic and fossil hunter but really want to get into geocaching. Any help you could give me would be helpful.

Jerry

Sounds like you are interested in the same things I am. Both my caches have a relation to either fossils or relics. Check out "Ancient Octopus' Garden" and "Kansas Ghost Town". Both caches are in Kansas in or near the Kansas City Metro area.

Guest WaylandersMA

quote:
Originally posted by relichound:

Jerry

My suggestion would be to read the tips on this board. That's where the compass suggestion came from.

With the Legend I put the "map" screen up as I close on the cache so I can see the bread crumb trail wandering closer with a "bearing window and a "distance" wincdow showing. Near any trees the 50 ft mark is where the breadcrumbs go shaky and it's stop, check bearing, shoot bearing on compass. If the cache is in woods you can shoot a couple of bearing from a couple of open places and see where they cross. My son and I have been doing this in a field finding a placed quarter.

Oh, one last suggestionon the Legend. (Also gleaned from this list.) Go to set-up and turn WAAS on. From Gaston the Gyosynch sat #35 (on the Legend) will show easy. Just give it a few minutes to download the corrections on the other satellites and bingo the accuracy tightens. You know it has done it when capital "D"s start showing up imbedded in the satellite strength bars.

Relics: You get down to Cowpens? I guess a flint or a musket ball would be the only thing left

Paul

Guest makaio

Maybe it's just me, but it seems the designer of the Legend (and other models with the click switch) must've been left handed. The unit is easily useable with a single hand, using the thumb and index finger to operate the various side buttons, however, the click switch, being on the left side (facing the unit) is best operated by the thumb when holding the unit in one's left hand. It can be operated right handed as well, but when doing so, the thumb covers the screen.

Maybe Garmin will offer a choice in click switch location in future models icon_smile.gif

Guest makaio

Maybe it's just me, but it seems the designer of the Legend (and other models with the click switch) must've been left handed. The unit is easily useable with a single hand, using the thumb and index finger to operate the various side buttons, however, the click switch, being on the left side (facing the unit) is best operated by the thumb when holding the unit in one's left hand. It can be operated right handed as well, but when doing so, the thumb covers the screen.

Maybe Garmin will offer a choice in click switch location in future models icon_smile.gif

Guest davis513

Since most folks are right-handed (not that I have anything against left-handed folks) perhaps the Garmin designers chose to design the "clik stick" models to be held in your "weak" hand leaving your strong hand free.

Just my $.02's worth.

P.S. I just checked the Legend's manual and it states that it is designed to be carried in the left hand but may be used in the right hand.

Guest tecmage

quote:

??? Is your eTrex grey? Then it's a Summit with a compass that eats batteries. If it is blue, it is a Legend, no compass.

Hi,

I should have said the "GOTO" feature for Waypoints. We do have a Legend. Originally looked at the Etrex. Passed on the Summit because we had no use for the Altimeter, but Tracy liked the Emap's mapping features and I liked the Etrex form. The Legend was a good compromise. Of course, what started out a $100 toy balooned into $350 (including Mapsource Maps).

Used the the mapping feature yesterday because the Mapquest directions to a cache location were pretty useless.

Richard