I'm Sure This Has Ben Covered Before

wandat24

I'm wondering what ya'll think about virtual caches. If this has been asked, and worn out I'm sorry. I've looked some, but haven't found anything on them.

I've been thinking about doing a few. They would be considered educational in sorts. I'm just wondering if many still hunt them or not, and if anyone would be interested in one. I was thinking about doing mine where the cacher had to e-mail an answer to me so I know they'd actually been to the place. :laughing:

Here ya go. I did a search on virtual caches for ya.

As you will see from paging through these threads, your virtual probably will not be approved. So unless you have something that really makes you say wow! AND there is no way you can place a real cache nearby, your virtual won't be listed on this website.

Edited by briansnat

Ok, I can understadnd messing with a copyright and such, and a "boring" one. But the question was what pepeopl thought of them, and if anyone still hunts them. I am going to read through more of the examples you gave me to look at to see what i can learn. Thanks, briansnat

But the question was what pepeopl thought of them, and if anyone still hunts them.

To save you the reading, some people like them, some people dislike them, some people hunt them and some refuse to. GC.COM doesn't care for them and they have implemented extremely strict guidelines for placing them.

You might be reading awhile! There are 17 pages of topics on virtuals.

In case you might be wondering how he found them, in the upper right corner is a search button that will take you to the search page. From there you can set how far back which forum and what you want to search for. The default is set for the last 30 days back.

Happy caching

Thanks ya'll, I truly believe at lest two of mine would be Ok'd, but was wanting to know what people thought of virtuals. One is a birthplace of a VERY famous Oklahoman, and the other is a memorial to him. The third is questionable, but it could be Ok'd too. I love history lessons, but I was also some what a geek in school lol! :laughing:

Please let me know more. I hadn't noticed the search button, thanks! lol :laughing:

Thanks again briansnat, i'm glad you didn't take my post wrong. I thought about it after i did it and was oh heck that sounded rude. I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to.

Edited by wandat24

Just so you're aware of them, here are this website's guidelines for virtual caches:

Virtual Caches

A virtual cache is a cache that exists in a form of a permanent object at a location that was already there. Typically, the cache “hider” creates a virtual cache at a location where physical caches are not permitted. The reward for these caches is the location itself and sharing information about your visit.

Prior to considering a virtual cache, you must have given consideration to the question “why couldn’t a microcache or multi-cache be placed there?” Physical caches have priority, so please consider adding a micro or making the location a step in an offset or multi-stage cache with the physical cache placed in an area that is appropriate.

Virtual Cache Posting Guidelines

1. A virtual cache must be a unique physical object that can be referenced through latitude and longitude coordinates. That object should be semi-permanent to permanent. If I post the cache today, someone else should be able to find it tomorrow and the next day.

A trail is a trail, a beach is a beach, a view is a view; but a trail, beach, or view is NOT a virtual cache. A cache has to be a specific distinct GPS target - not something large like a mountain top or a park, however special those locations are.

2. A virtual cache must be novel, of interest to other players, and have a special historic, community or geocaching quality that sets it apart from everyday subjects. Since the reward for a virtual cache is the location, the location should “WOW” the prospective finder. Signs, memorials, tombstones, statues or historical markers are among the items that are generally too common to qualify as virtual caches. Unusual landmarks or items that would be in a coffee table book are good examples. If you don't know if it is appropriate, contact your local reviewer first, or post a question to the forums about your idea.

3. There should be one or more questions about an item at a location, something seen at that location, etc., that only the visitor to that physical location will be able to answer. The questions should be difficult enough that it cannot be answered through library or web research. The use of a "certificate of achievement" or similar item is not a substitute for the find verification requirement.

4. An original photo posted to the cache log can be an acceptable way to verify a find, or an email to the owner with valid answers for the question or questions. In NO cases should answers be posted in the logs, even if encrypted.

Virtual Cache Maintenance Guidelines

Although the virtual cache is not something you physically maintain, you must maintain your virtual cache's web page and respond to inquiries and periodically check the physical location. You should also return to the Geocaching.com web site at least once a month to show you are still active. Virtual caches posted and "abandoned" may be archived by the site. The poster will assume the responsibility of quality control of logged “finds” for the virtual cache, and will agree to delete any “find” logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

Virtual Cache Logging Guidelines

Logging a virtual cache find requires compliance with the requirements stated by the poster, including answering the required questions by e-mail to the poster, providing original photos if so requested, etc. Answers to questions, hints or clues should not be placed in the logs, even if encrypted.

I've been thinking about doing a few. They would be considered educational in sorts. I'm just wondering if many still hunt them or not, and if anyone would be interested in one. I was thinking about doing mine where the cacher had to e-mail an answer to me so I know they'd actually been to the place. :laughing:

Here, I'll answer your question without giving you links to 17 pages of information. :laughing:

I've only done two, and there's a reason for it. I'll do them only if they are very close to another physical cache and very convenient to complete. In other words, I won't go out of my way to find one. I will, however, go to great pains to log a physical cache.

The two caches I have been to, I couldn't help but think "sheesh, a well-thought and planned micro could have been placed here!"

Put a micro at the site of your famous OK dude. Folks will get the same educational experience.

Discovery is what attracted me to geocaching, and I think there are a lot of cachers who like mini history lessons. I enjoy the history even more when the cache placer makes the learning process active as opposed to passive -- I like being engaged in the process!

Instead of creating two (or three?) virtuals marking places significant to your famous Oklahoman, why not create a multi-cache that takes folks to his birthplace and his memorial for coordinates, and then on to a real cache container -- perhaps in a park that's named for him? Personally, I'd hunt this type of cache long before doing the separate virtuals.

Here's an example of a multi that was relatively simple (Blue Heaven), and another that's a little more complicated and covers a lot more ground (Stonewall's Last Ride).

Have fun with it!

Geezix (short time cacher -- looong time lurker)

Instead of creating two (or three?) virtuals marking places significant to your famous Oklahoman, why not create a multi-cache that takes folks to his birthplace and his memorial for coordinates, and then on to a real cache container -- perhaps in a park that's named for him? Personally, I'd hunt this type of cache long before doing the separate virtuals.

And it is far more likely to be approved than a straight virtual.

To answer your question. I don't mind virtuals. My preference is a traditional cache, but a well done virtual can be good as well. Reading a word on a sign that is 20 miles away from where the historical event occured isn't my idea of scenic. Reading a plaque on the actual battlefield is different. Some creative way of verification other than reading a word on a plaque that involves a little bit of a hunt is more fun.

If you really want people to be educated or show them something really neat then place a micro as an offset to the virtural. I have one in downtown Denver that shows why the streets are so weird which is a plaque in the sidewalk. Well they find the plaque and read it then wonder off about 60 yards and find the micro.

cheers

If I don't have alot of time or if the weather is bad I'll do virtuals. Some places that are virtuals are truly interesting and I would have never heard about or visited otherwise....

I can see where alot of things would be too commonplace or bland to be a virtual but a really interesting one is nice to find.

Virtual caches are usually historical in value or are unique to the surrounding area, but most importantly they are surrounded by Regular Caches. So if you are planning a road trip and want to see something unique or historical and cross a few caches off of your list at the same time, simply find a Virtual Cache and start selecting other caches from the "nearby" list and build up some co-ords to download to your GPS and turn your road trip into an exciting and educational cache hunting adventure.

Happy Hunting,

jetmech72.

Virtual caches are usually historical in value or are unique to the surrounding area, but most importantly they are surrounded by Regular Caches. So if you are planning a road trip and want to see something unique or historical and cross a few caches off of your list at the same time, simply find a Virtual Cache and start selecting other caches from the "nearby" list and build up some co-ords to download to your GPS and turn your road trip into an exciting and educational cache hunting adventure.

Happy Hunting,

jetmech72.

Just to add to my last post, I want to give an example.

I'm planning to go to Paso Robles (wine country) to check out some of the wineries there. There is a Virtual Cache along the way, the "James Dean" cache. While I was reading about the cache, I scrolled down and selected "nearby" caches to see what was hidden near this cache and low and behold there are some Regular Caches placed near some historical buildings south of there, so I started down loading these caches as well. Now I have built up 16 caches that I plan to find on my trip to Paso, as well as paying respects to a Hollywood Legend.

jetmech72

;) Thank you all for the insight. I have read and re-read (countless times) what a virtual cash is. I have done a search with the zip code of where I'm wanting to do this, there is 673 caches all together, some are virtuals that have been in place and are grandfathered in.

I am thinking about getting with an Aunt of mine and see if I could just place a micro in these places (odds are slim, but my Aunt did do a lot of things for this gentalman, and helped with a few things). I am in the procces of research to see who what where and when on these possible caches. Like I have said before 2 are of the same man and the third is not. They are all three within about 3 or so miles of one another.

I am going to do my research this week on it, talk with my husband and see what he thinks. Then I will submit what we have decided upon and see where it takes us.

Thanks again for all the information. If there is anything else anyone wants to add, please do so. If you have any questions as to what they consit of you can e-mail me, but please don't be too local. :)