Discuss The Design Of The 2005 Washington Geocoin

Moun10Bike

Regarding the map side of the coin:

• Set-up charges are a mute point. Changing the image on that side will cost less than a nickel per coin. As has been pointed out, the year will change anyway.
  • The URL on the coin should be the URL for the coin tracking. In this case, it's the WSGA web site.
  • FYI, the coin tracking on the WSGA site is undergoing some improvements.
  • The WSGA board has not discussed tracking the coins on Geocaching.com this time because that was explored last year.
  • Assuming that we do change the URL, we'll also need to remove the Geocaching.com logo from the map. Perhaps we can replace it with the generic G logo.

Regarding the map side of the coin:
  • Set-up charges are a mute point. Changing the image on that side will cost less than a nickel per coin. As has been pointed out, the year will change anyway.
  • The URL on the coin should be the URL for the coin tracking. In this case, it's the WSGA web site.
  • FYI, the coin tracking on the WSGA site is undergoing some improvements.
  • The WSGA board has not discussed tracking the coins on Geocaching.com this time because that was explored last year.
  • Assuming that we do change the URL, we'll also need to remove the Geocaching.com logo from the map. Perhaps we can replace it with the generic G logo.

Bravo!

That was exactly my Point. I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that way.

[*]Assuming that we do change the URL, we'll also need to remove the Geocaching.com logo from the map.  Perhaps we can replace it with the generic G logo.

I understand what Seth! is saying but I would have one suggestion.

I'm not that big on the generic G logo. I'd rather used the space vacated by the GC logo for something related to Washington like an apple or something like that. If I knew how to upload an image for a forum post I'd show an example.

If it ain't broke... why fix it? Not many, if any gecoins sold 1500, and i'm sure it could have been more, orders on the first minting.

Changing the url and the logo kinda defeats the original purpose of that side of the coin. Does "Home of Geocaching World Headquarters" really make any sense then? Nearly all coins are in some type of protective sleeve where the tracking url can be located. Having the gc logo and url on there makes it look more "official" than that generic logo and tends to identify it more as a geocaching coin and not a WSGA coin... no direspect intended.

Here are a couple ideas:

The basic apple or since splitting the state came up how about the King County logo, after all as King County goes so goes Washington. :D:P:D

ad1b7baa-47d2-41cb-81ee-2c69cfb70367.jpg

87831e25-3020-4957-9df3-52488ef4dd96.jpg

Leave the wording in the rim on the "State side" as is.

No pictures in the state map, of anything. And certainly NOT the King County logo. Either the old one, or the new PC one. I don't live in King County, and don't really want to be associated with it.

If someone outside Washington needs a picture of an apple or anything else to figure out where/what we are, maybe they should have paid attention in geography class. :D

Agreed.

Although I am in favor of a darker green band, I say if we're going to commemorate the mountain for it's explosive 25th anniversary, commemorate the mountain with the way it looks today. Not yesteryear. There are enough tokens out there that do that already.

Don't forget that the Mt. St. Helens is in the state of Washington and it is the state of Washington that we are commemorating.. not just Mt. St. Helens..

Is it to be a Mt. St. Helens geocoin or a Washington State geocoin?

Mt. St. Helens on one side because that was a big event in the recent history..(with the coordinates as I suggested earlier?) and then on the reverse... something commemorating the State of Washington also.. ?? How does that sound?

It is first and foremost, a Washington State geocoin. My remarks were based on the majority desire to commemorate the mountain on one side of it and the why of it.

Unless I missed that something has changed, Washington State will be on the flip side. It would seem you're suggesting a foregone conclusion.

I thought of an idea, how about Washington State out line with WSGA in the middle. One other benefit of this idea could be (depending on if Seth wanted to do it) is that WSGA members could use the back die and reduce the cost of creating there own coins and possibly be tracked on the WSGA web site. Another idea for the numbering is increase it to five numbers and use the first digit for the year as in WA5001.

Perhaps I'm missing something here but... last year we had "2004" above the state outline, so...

Why do we need to repeat such in the number below (i.e. the suggestion for WA5...)? I mean, can't we just always put the year above (i.e. this time, 2005) and then, start the numbers from 0001 each year?

The reason to put the 'year' into the serial number is to allow the 'low numbers' to repeat each year.

Last years numbering (WA0001-WA1500) would never be able to be used and tracked again. The 'and tracked' is the important part. You can't track the same number more than once.

Although, even the addition of a '5th' number in the serial number only works for 10 years. After that a '6th' number would be needed, and so on every ten years...unless another 'alpha' character were added/used.

More clear? ;)B)

More clear?  ;)  B)

Ah yes, as a bell. B)

But... still seems that you don't need to have the 2005 or 05 or somesuch - actually stamped ON the coin right there in conjuction with the numbers. I mean, the tracking is something folks peck into the tracking site, and surely they can preface the number with the year that's emblazoned above the state outline, yes?

I mean... wouldn't it be better to attack the alleged problem of low numbers each year - in the far more flexible digital arena, by simply having an input text box for the year, and another box for the number (as is done with WG$, etc.)?

I mean... wouldn't it be better to attack the alleged problem of low numbers each year - in the far more flexible digital arena, by simply having an input text box for the year, and another box for the number (as is done with WG$, etc.)?

That's thinking 'outside the box'...stop that! :ph34r::huh:

A lot depends on 'where' they will be tracked...which as far as I know, hasn't been decided yet.

It is the last day of February! What's the conclusion of our coin? Sounds like it is a Mt. St. Helen's design. But is it color or engraved. I still wonder how it would look in the antiqued bronze/gold instead of the silver color? Would more detailing then show up? I still prefer the 1980 version but the majority seems to lean toward the later version. Is there anyway of making the plume look more natural. I think the picture version of the latest eruption is pretty but the version on the coin looks kinda unnatural. I'm sure when the artist starts the actual design work it will shape up better though. Are we ready to start that phase yet?

I agree! I think we are ready to move to the next phase - handing off to an artist to design. Based on the feedback here, it seems as though the concensus is color with the 2004/5 plume.

Now, a big question: Navdog, are you interested in designing this year's coin? You have already done 90% of the design work here, but I just want to be sure! :P If not, the next step will be to take the ideas we have and send them off to the chosen coin company (another question!) to have their artist come up with the design.

Let's try to get the design finalized and ready for submission by the end of March.

Yes, I would be happy to help. Are you having D&R make the coins again this year? It would be nice to talk to the coin company to see how they can render the steam plume and still color the background/sky. Doing the blue sky and steam plume will require a "ridge" or hard edge to the outline of the steam, so it may not look as realistic as having it blended into the background with no color.

Moun10Bike, if you want to email me about the specifics, I can work up something more definitive.

I was just going to check in here to see what the latest was as well- no activity in a while - 'sup??

Well, supposedly we were going to talk about this at the WSGA meeting today (I'm sure it was on the schedule I saw), but it wasn't. :huh::huh:

Still waiting for designs from what I can tell.

I emailed Navdog but haven't received a response yet. I heard from Pepper that he has been dealing with some repetitive motion issues and as a result staying away from the keyboard. Are people comfortable waiting a little longer, or should we look elsewhere for a designer?

EDIT: Fixing some of my fat-fingered typos.

Edited by Moun10Bike
I emailed Navdog but haven't received a response yet. I heard from Pepper that he has been dealing with some repetitive motion issues and as a result staying away from the keyboard. Are people comfortabel waiting a little longer, or shoudl we look elsewhere for a designer?

I can wait.