The Ape Cache

flask

a few of us wish to make a roadtrip from northern VT sometime in march but we probably don't want to go as part of the large caravan.

what we need is some advice as to cheap lodging. probably it will be warm enough for camping. our needs are few. all we need is a place to put up a couple tents. we are sel-sufficient and probably don't wish to be terribly social. we expect to spend four or five days in the pursuit, so recommended lodging along the way would be helpful.

i know of places where we can crash in MA which is a likely stopping point on the first evening if we don't move first thing in the AM.

i know that in NY one can camp anywhere in parts of state land, provided you're withing certain guidelines. is there anything like that in MD? can anyone point us in a good direction for cheap (or free) camping in the area?

no, we don't know exactly when; we just know it won't be too much after march because i hat hot weather and would never consider living anywhere south of massachussetts. any year you get frost in july is a good year as far as i'm concerned.

any help will be much appreciated.

but we probably don't want to go as part of the large caravan

Waddya mean ya don't wanna go with us! :laughing:

the key here is the anti-social thing.

besides, if i'm going to drive that far, i'm going to find some caches and not stand around making chitchat.

i have never seen an event where i would be comfortable popping in for just long enough to sign the log and then dashing off.

besides, i dont think i'm actually available to go until april, unless i go next week.

public opinion aside, i am not comfortable with others of my species and have been known to dive headfirst into a ditch in order to avoid meeting them.

some of my companions might enjoy the caravan but since i'm the cruise director, well, you get the idea.

i am not comfortable with others of my species 

You mean homo sapien, right? :laughing: No worries.

If you think we were running around in APE suits trying to find this thing....

Hmmm... now that gives me an idea! :laughing:

Edit: cruise director's are the MOST social, right? :laughing:

Edited by avroair

Flask -- Maryland (particularly near the urban centers) is a little tighter about camping than NY. That being said, there are some excellent forested State Parks to the west of DC - Greenbriar, Savage, etc. and some smaller state camping facilities around the area. Tha AT also cuts a swath through MD near Frederick. Do a web search on Maryland State Parks, and you find a full listing of camping-friendly areas in the state. A nice place to try is Greenbelt State Park, on the east side of the DC beltway near College Park, MD. It's a small campground, but very accessible, very hidden and within staging distance of the APE, DC and Baltimore. Within walking distance, there is a Metro stop to get into DC to avoid parking hassles.

I'm leaving for a trip this weekend, and when I return, I'll do a bit more poking around.