I am so frustrated!

luna girl

icon_confused.gif

Only a few hours after hearing about Geocaching I checked out this website and became hooked! I thought it would be fairly simple. I ordered and received a Garmin geko 101 and now I can't figure out how to use it. I feel lke an idiot. I've read the directions that came with the gps and I've poured over this website. I just don't get it. I thought that all I would have to do is put a waypoint into the gps and then follow a map to get to the cache. I'm stuck, and what I thought would be a good time, is stressing me out icon_eek.gif! I'm determined to figure this out without the help of my husband. I know he will enjoy geocaching, but he feels our lives are busy enough and this is just one more thing to have to think about.

If anyone out there can share any step-by-step instructions with me, could you please share them? If you don't feel up to typing all the info I may need, I'd be willing to phone you.

Thanks for any help!

liz

quote:
Originally posted by luna girl:

icon_confused.gif

Only a few hours after hearing about Geocaching I checked out this website and became hooked! I thought it would be fairly simple. I ordered and received a Garmin geko 101 and now I can't figure out how to use it. I feel lke an idiot. I've read the directions that came with the gps and I've poured over this website. I just don't get it. I thought that all I would have to do is put a waypoint into the gps and then follow a map to get to the cache. I'm stuck, and what I thought would be a good time, is stressing me out icon_eek.gif! I'm determined to figure this out without the help of my husband. I know he will enjoy geocaching, but he feels our lives are busy enough and this is just one more thing to have to think about.

If anyone out there can share any step-by-step instructions with me, could you please share them? If you don't feel up to typing all the info I may need, I'd be willing to phone you.

Thanks for any help!

liz

You'll figure it out... just walk outside and set a waypoint where you are standing. Then walk a block away and set it to "goto" that waypoint. Those are the basics right there icon_wink.gif If you feel you need it there is an instructional video for around $20 geko 101 video look through the list of products, you'll find it.

I was going to get a video to learn my Magellan when I first got it, but it started making sense the more I played around. Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it. And welcome to your new addiction. Bring the hubby along on a hunt, he'll get hooked too. icon_wink.gif

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

I’m not familiar with that particular model, but I had the GPS III+ that was close enough. If you are capable of entering a waypoint, you’re 90% there. Read the cache description to see if there is a starting point. The starting point is not your driveway. Turn off the Gecko and drive to the starting point using roadmaps or your knowledge. If you cannot determine the starting point from the cache page, email the owner and explain that you are new to the game and would like to know where to start looking for their cache.

Once you get to the starting point, the park’s parking lot for example, turn on the Gecko and let it stabilize. When the Gecko is ready, press whatever buttons required to make it “go to” the waypoint you entered. An arrow should appear and point directly to the cache. Walk in that direction. The Gecko will point straight to the cache, obviously you will not be able to walk in a straight line to the cache. Follow the trails trying to keep moving in the general direction the arrow is pointing. Remember, some trails will turn you almost completely away from the cache for a while. They will turn back in most cases, unless you are on the wrong trail.

As the “distance to” the waypoint counts down to 20 feet or so, start looking around.

Keep in mind; the stars that rate the difficulty of the cache are there to assist you. Look for two or less stars at first. You will quickly learn all the tricks and methods of hunting the container, like looking for unusual piles of sticks and leaves, logs, or large pieces of bark.

Stick with it, it far easier that you (or I even) are making it out to be. Some people are finding them every day without the benefit of a GPSr.

Thank you so much for your reply. I've removed the gun from my temple (o.k.- I wasn't quitee that distraught, but I did feel like scrapping the whole plan of becoming a geocacher). I'm going to go out this afternoon and (hopefully) find my first cache. Thanks again for the encouraging words icon_biggrin.gif!

The manuals leave a lot to be desired. Criminal's already given you good advice so I won't confuse it.

The hardest part is just getting going. But once you do it all comes together fairly quickly. You will be an old hand before long and besides the hardest part is really coming up with a cool Moniker. You got that part licked.

One important thing to remember, and the biggest newbie mistake I made was not realizing this, the GPSr is a navigation device. It is not an active homing device, like Lo-Jack!

Your GPSr will get you to the GENERAL LOCATION of the cache. It does not point to the cache!

I spent more time than I want to admit, walking in circles, following the navigation needle--expecting it to get me straight to the cache.

Once you get to where your GPSr reads close to zero, say less than 10 feet, put it in your pocket and start looking around for a hiding place. The GPSr has no way of knowing where the actual cache is, just the coordinates posted by the cache owner.

When your GPSr says that you are at the cache, it will probably be within 20 to 30 of you, if you have allowed your GPSr to settle out and the hider did, too. When you get this close, the GPSr has done its' job and the rest is up to you.

Hope this helps,

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

Before doing the caches out in nature (mountain hikes, etc.), I would suggest trying out a few caches rated 1 difficulty and 1 terrain located in the city or town where you are. Don't do micro caches, or virtual caches yet either, stick to the regular traditional shoe box sized ones at first. Don't get discouraged. Also feel free to email the owners of the caches if you can't seem to find it, and ask them for hints. That was really helpful to me at the beginning too.

Good luck and welcome to the game! icon_smile.gif

(.. hope your taking notes, with all this advice, cause there may be a pop-quiz at the end of the session). Another thing you will find out is… after several ‘successful’ hunts… you will be able to develop an ‘eye’ for hiding spots. I haven’t got that many under my belt as it is… but I went back to one or two of my first ones and tried to understand ‘why’ I had so much trouble spotting them. I think the answer is that with experience… you don’t ‘overlook’ potential hiding sites like can sometimes happen when your just learning the ropes. (btw.. “Luna Girl”… interesting name… your not telepathic by any chance are you ;-)

Good luck on your hunt… let us know how it went..

Regards,

Rasstag

"Remember... nothing is completly worthless!!... it can always be used as a bad example"!

There are lots of posings with similar frustrations and technical answers to finding caches. These are very helpful and abundant so look them up.

As an alternative I offer my own approach which is to apply a little Zen philosophy:

Certainly, do your homework before hand and have acurate way points etc. But, then, approach the search with a "beginner's mind" and without expectation of finding the cache.

You will be out of doors and and be led to some scenic or unusual places. You may very likely be surrounded by the glories of nature. Drink in the experience of that moment! Even if you don't find the cache you have been rewarded!

As you close in on the cache be patient with the GPS unit and with yourself. The GPS is executing it's calculations as flawlessly as it can. Know that there are many factors outside of it's control and yours. Allow it the time it needs to contemplate the sky and the unseen satellites guiding you.

As you become one with your unit and with your surroundings (and with some practice and maybe, a compass) you'll come to know which readings are acurate and which are not. Observe your surroundings without judgement and you will soon notice likely spots for the cache to be hidden or areas that, though camoflaged with natural materials, have the subtle look of human tampering.

Undertake the search when you have time to focus on that activity alone. Embarking on a search without ample time will fill your mind with worries over where you need to be next, what's in the cache?, is the sun going to set? what will people think if I don't find this? Let go of extraneous thoughts and focus your mind and energy on the task at hand.

When you find the cache, do so with mindful gratitude. Many things and people have been involved with your success: The designer of the miraculous GPS technology, those who fabricated the container, the placer of the cache, the tree who's leaves and bark conceal it amd those who have left meager tokens of thier own life's path within it. Finding the cache connects you with all of them!

Have patience, Grasshopper. And remember that there is much more to the Geo-Caching experience than finding the Ammo-box!

"Now may every living thing, young or old, weak or strong, living near or far, known or unknown, living or departed or yet unborn, may every living thing be know happiness!"

Hiya Luna

Same story for me - I heard about geocaching and knew I was gonna love it. I picked up a Garmin Etrex (which is a little simpler to use than your machine) and promptly got lost and frustrated. I too was ready to strangulate the happy, smiling little cartoon people in the instruction book. Ask hubby for help? NOT! I would have rather stuck rusty pins in my eyes than asked him to figure it out for me. Even so, if you've managed to enter a way point - you're 3/4 of the way there. From there its just a case of pressing the right buttons to either 'go to' the waypoint, or navigate your way there.

I had to read the instruction book something like 3 or 4 times - and still wasn't quite "getting it". Going outside and just playing around with the GPS for a while was a heckuva lot more instructional than the book. Don't worry. You will have an "AHA!" moment, and very, very soon it should all make sense.

For your first cache try to pick an easy one, in an area that you are very familiar with. Don't forget to look at/print the map too. With the location maked on the map, in an area you know well, you get the opportunity to figure out what your GPS is doing, and how it presents data and directions to you - without needing to think much about where you are or where you're going.

Good luck out there.

wow, cool and the gang-- you're freaking me out! I have just been reading a book by Vietnamese Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh that outlines many of the same concepts. Maybe an enterprising geo-cacher out there will write "Zen and the Art of Geo-caching"

To Luna Girl--

I didn't get the waypoints, either, at first, but I don't really need them for the Urban Micros I hunt. I just print out the maps from mapquest and zero in with the GPS from there. Like Search1128 said, try a few 1/1 caches in your town first... that might help... I would even try micros, they are usually not that hard, really... icon_biggrin.gif

As a newbie I learned that a straight line is not always the best route. On my first cache I followed a bike trail and then following the arrow, I started bush whacking, only to find........the bike trail. Oh, it curved back around. I see. Isn't that interesting.

When possible, I circle an area trying to find the best approach before starting in. This method was explained to me in the forums, but experience is still the best teacher. Now I know better how far 3, 2, and 1 tenths of a mile is and can better guestimate what track I should take.

Be sure you start with easy caches that have been found recently.

Will save you the trouble of looking for one that has not been found in 3 months simply because it is no longer there.

Also, read the logs of past visitors for hints, clues, and warnings of hazards or shortcuts. They can be a good source of information.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

Thanks to all that shared so much helpful advice. After reading the first two replies, I was armed with the courage I needed to hit the road and attempt my first geocaching.

It was a learning experience.....you all were right.....it's something that is easier to learn by doing rather than by explaination. The "Ah Ha!" moment came for me when I finally figured out (after walking 3.5 miles around the lake with a 5 year old in tow, gps in one hand, manual in the other)that I was actually supossed to going in the direction that the arrow was pointingpointing icon_rolleyes.gif.

Yes, I know this seems absurdly obvious, but this simple concept just didn't register with me (for the first hour and a half).By the way,

I successfully run several businesses.

(I stuck that last line in as a feeble attempt to prove that I am not an idiot icon_frown.gif!)

Anyway, after figuring out the little detail about going in the direction the arrow is pointing, it was a breeze.

My son was the first one to get his hands on the cache and I'll never forget the thrill in his voice when he yelled "I found it!"

I can't wait to get out there and find somemore, and I'm especially excited about hiding my own. Thanks agian for all the encouragement.

In direct reply to some of the responsed received;

To Despot and Smitten: I completely relate to your comment about rather having stuck rusty nails in your eyes than asking hubby for help.I did admit to him that I didn't quite understand the "following the arrow" thing at first. He gave me one of those "bless her little heart" kind of smiles and nodded understandingly. At least he didn't pat me on the head icon_wink.gif.

To Rasstag: No, I'm not telepathic but I think I may be telegenic.

To Cool and the Gang:

Wow. I am completely humbled by what you wrote. I own a Yoga studio and you just gave me a huge lesson in practicing what I preach 10 times a week: Have a Beginners Mind,

Non-Judgemental Awareness,Staying in the Moment,Acceptance, Connection, Gratitude.

Namaste to you all.

Glad to hear that your hunt was a sucess!

It takes awhile to get used to your new toy. Everyone goes through it. No shame there.

There is no shame in taking a long time to find a cache. As long as you have fun that is all that matters.

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

quote:
Originally posted by luna girl:

that I was actually supossed to going in the direction that the arrow was pointing

icon_redface.gif I spent 10 minutes closing in on a cache before I realized I was following the sun icon, and not my cache icon. Couldn't figure out why it kept saying I was getting further away when I was pointing right at it!

Sue-Sue,

GPS units have an accuracy of +- 20-30 feet.

Once you get to the area and set the waypoint, choose the goto function on the GPS and select the waypoint. An arrow will appear pointing you in the direction you need to go. Once you get within 10-20 feet, you need to start to look around for places where a cache may be hidden. Under trees, brush, covered with leaves, under some twigs, covered in bark, etc.

Once you find a couple you will start to get an idea of where to look. It does get easier as you go. The GPS can only get you close, it cannot find the cache for you.

I usually go till my GPS puts me within 10 feet. I then start to look in the obvious places around me. If I cannot find it, I start to look in the not so normal places. I then widen my search area, looking in the usual places as I go. I can normally find the cache in a few minutes this way.

Just go by the advice the others above have given as well as the tips found on other threads in this forum.

You will get the hang of it and be an expert cacher in no time.

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

quote:
Criminal wrote in the second reply:

An arrow should appear and point directly to the cache. Walk in that direction. The Gecko will point straight to the cache, obviously you will not be able to walk in a straight line to the cache.

quote:
Luna girl wrote: The "Ah Ha!" moment came for me when I finally figured out (after walking 3.5 miles around the lake with a 5 year old in tow, gps in one hand, manual in the other)that I was actually supossed to going in the direction that the arrow was pointing

Glad I could help... icon_rolleyes.gif

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

[This message was edited by Criminal on July 31, 2003 at 11:34 PM.]

Posted by luna girl: "After reading the first two replies, I was armed with the courage I needed to hit the road and attempt my first geocaching."

Not all of the replies are just for the person posting. There are many of us not quite confident to ask "easy" questions. Covering the basics always helps.

Don't forget to check out "GPS Units and Software" forum - you will find lots of time-saving hints there. The main goal is to get .loc files (or, better, Pocket Queries), load them to your GPS and have a REAL GOOD printed aerial map of the area (QuakeMap will do it), and a printout of the cache page(s). The rest is just using your GPS and hoping for some luck.

Happy trails,

http://www.quakemap.com - redefining Easy...