Palm Tungsten E Software Wanted

Team Teuton

You know those multi-caches that start out with, 'Go to the above location and find a name. With A=1, B=2, C=3, D=4, etc., total all the letters of the name and...'

Is there a program for the Palm E that will do this?

What I'd like is to enter the word and have the program supply the numeric value of the word. Surely something like this is available?

Thanks all...

Most of the A=1 type puzzles I've seen don't have a simple enough correspondence or calculation for a standard bit of software to do the job without some additional directions.

What I've found useful is any of the spreadsheet programs for the Palm (DataViz' Documents to Go does Excel spreadsheets for example and I think there are a couple of others, maybe even free, but I haven't used them).

You can write a spreadsheet using Excel that does the translations you want on your PC and download the spreadsheet into your Palm or just write it on the Palm in the first place. Then plug in the values when you get to the clues and you're off and running.

That's how I tackle some of 'em anyway.

Jon

Thanks.

Yeah, sure I can do it on paper, I just don't want to. A lot of caches in my town use that technique, I use it myself in this cache. It would just be be handy to have a quick and easy program to do the thinking for me. It would be a handy feature for CacheMate to offer, now that I think about it.

And I've googled the net and searched the forum but a couple of those sites are still new to me, so I'll definitely try them out.

Thanks again both of you.

[EDIT] And sorry it took so long to reply, I thought I had the email notify on but I guess not...

Edited by Aristocracker
Most of the A=1 type puzzles I've seen don't have a simple enough correspondence or calculation for a standard bit of software to do the job without some additional directions.

What I've found useful is any of the spreadsheet programs for the Palm (DataViz' Documents to Go does Excel spreadsheets for example and I think there are a couple of others, maybe even free, but I haven't used them).

You can write a spreadsheet using Excel that does the translations you want on your PC and download the spreadsheet into your Palm or just write it on the Palm in the first place. Then plug in the values when you get to the clues and you're off and running.

That's how I tackle some of 'em anyway.

Jon

This is probably the best bet right now, since I have all the ingredients. Good idea, Thanks...

Just change the instructions so that you specifically delimit the "code" letters. For instance, C becomes ~C.

Then, when you find the value of C, do a search and replace of all instances of ~C with the value. I recommend using a delimiter so you don't end up replacing letters that are part of a word.

Cachemate doesn't support search/replace but you can probably use any number of text editors for this.

GeoBC

Here is what JustaCrawlin is refering to http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/hintdecoder.shtml

Right, but that's a ROT13 conversion, ie a=n, b=o, c=p, z=m, etc. Which is already included in Cachmate, btw.

What I need is an a=1, b=2, c=3, z=26, etc.

For instance, the numerical equivalent of GEOCACHE is 47. That's an easy one, but if the word is 'buzzard' or 'wizardry', it gets a bit tedious.

Thanks though, all of you...