Geocaching In Foreign Countries

Yo Yo Maxx

I am planning another trip to England sometime within this next year. I want to do some caching in London as I am sure there are some urban caches in a city that large. I have been there before, so can get around on the tube etc. My problem is: I want to find caches that I can reasonably be able to find. I will be there for two or three weeks, so I do intend to make time for caching. Now my immediate problem is that I will have to locate some caches here at home and print out the description pages to take with me.

When I log onto the main page for geocaching, and do the search for United Kingdom, I get hundreds of caches for the whole country. How do I go about weeding out those that will be found in London? And I hope to get up to York and possibly the Ipswich area and perhaps even Dover. So, since I don't know the postal codes, how can I find these caches?

I will be planning out my trip as the months go along, and I would like to design this trip around doing some geocaching. Can you help me?

Thanks in advance for any assistance, Yo Yo MaXX :lostsignal:

Hey Maxx, hope you have a great trip.

You might want to head over to the UK Forum for some help from the locals. When you find a cache that's in the area you're planning to travel to you can always check for the caches in the area.

Also, if you bump up to Premium Membership you can run some pocket queries that will return specific results of cache types within a location.

I think the UK forum would be a great place to start, though.

Have fun!

Bret

Hi Maxx, I am a UK noob and tend to ask a lot more questions than I answer, but hopefully I can give something back to say thanks to all the old sweats on this forum who have answered my questions.

I suggest you try to find out the post code of where you will be staying and go from there. If you dont know the post code, our post office has a website here www.postoffice.co.uk where, at the top, is a UK post code finder using just the address. (yo have to register first though).

I have checked a few for you to get you started, these are all, more or less, dead center of town.

London - Piccadilly Circus is W1J 0TR

York YO1 9QX

Dover CT16 1AA

Ipswich IP1 1AX

I've checked all in the GC.com and all towns have a cache or two for you :lostsignal:

Once you have a full post code, as Im sure you already know, you can seek caches by UK postcode and youre ready to rock and roll!

I hope this helps.

PS, if you get to Dover, do try to do Canterbury its a lovely town, CT1 2AA.

Regards

CM

I want to do some caching in London as I am sure there are some urban caches in a city that large.  I have been there before, so can get around on the tube etc.  My problem is:  I want to find caches that I can reasonably be able to find.  I will be there for two or three weeks, so I do intend to make time for caching.  Now my immediate problem is that I will have to locate some caches here at home and print out the description pages to take with me. 

:

Maxx

Try this link to Chris 'n' Marias Home Page This will give you London caches and the TUBE map.

As the others have said check out the UK forums

John

;) Thanks to everyone who responded to my plea. The response was more than I ever expected. I also was surprised by all the "old salts" who still look at the Getting Started forum. Without you, the rest of us would be lost. Thanks again. CYBret, thanks for the push about becoming a Premium Member. I bought a Premium Membership for my son, but alas, he lives 800 miles from me. Just didn't think about it for myself. I believe I will follow up. And you will be seeing me on the UK Forum. And dear, dear Colonial Marine, thank you so much for the postofficeuk link. Brilliant! That is exactly what I needed. John and Hazel, I will be following up on your suggested link. And Davester, I didn't know geocacheuk.com existed. Thank you so much. I am now more excited about the upcoming trip than ever. And I have lots to do. Again, my next trip to England will be very much enhanced because of your help. So if any of you see an old woman with an even older woman in tow following a GPSr about in Hyde park next fall, it just could be me and my Mom. Thanks again, Yo Yo Maxx