Garmin 60cs Vehicle Power

Palm Grunt

Has anybody hard wired a dedicated power sorce for their Garmin 60xx?

I am looking to have power to the unit at all times while in the vehicle. I want to run the wires under the dash and have them concealed and come out by the windshield without using the cig. lighter outlet. Just curious if anyone has attempted this before? :lostsignal:

Palm Grunt

Thanks to Team Nazgul I got the answer I needed. We both have Jeep Wranglers and he informed me of some hidden wires dedicated for powering different units. Thanks for all the replies.

Palm Grunt

Edited by Palm Grunt
Has anybody hard wired a dedicated power sorce for their Garmin 60xx?

I am looking to have power to the unit at all times while in the vehicle. Just curious if anyone has attempted this before? :lostsignal:

Palm Grunt

The cigarette lighter sockets are hot all the time on my Taurus so I just use a car adapter. For my sons truck I installed another socked that was hot all the time for his.

In our 1997 Roadtrex RV which is on a Dodge 3500 chassis, I have run two wires through the firewall directly to the battery. I have a fuse in the hot wire. I orginally used this for my ham radio equipment. Now I use it mainly for my iQue 3600 to keep it on while I go look for the cache with my 76C. If I am going to need the iQue for paperless caching I take it with me. Many times I will power not only the iQue but also my 76C routing via the road and my 76S on the compass page. As you get close to the cache it is nice to have the arrow on the 76S point to the cache. Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT

For my GPS I just use the lighter socket, since my Blazer has extras for powering equipment. But I have my Valentine1 detector hard-wired to the fuse box. Radio Shack sells fuse taps that make this very simple. Pull the fuse you want to use, slip the tap over one of the blades, and plug it back in. You may want to use a meter to check which side is "hot", and use the other side. That way, whatever you're powering is protected by the fuse.

I have the Garmin plug they make for that purpose hardwired into the fused constant-power wire in my Jeep. With later model Wranglers like mine, Jeep was thoughtful enough to throw in an easily accessible constant-power and a switched-power wire behind the (removable) glovebox so you can easily hardwire your accessories.

For my GPS I just use the lighter socket, since my Blazer has extras for powering equipment. But I have my Valentine1 detector hard-wired to the fuse box. Radio Shack sells fuse taps that make this very simple. Pull the fuse you want to use, slip the tap over one of the blades, and plug it back in. You may want to use a meter to check which side is "hot", and use the other side. That way, whatever you're powering is protected by the fuse.

good advice.

The one and only time I tried to wire something directly into the power supply I did something wrong at the fuse box and my headlight fuse kept burning out.

Just my luck.

I took it to a local mechanic, got done right and only cost me five bucks.

Joe Smith