International Cache Exchange

bigredmed

In case you didn't want to wade through the thread.

The International Geocache Exchange was started by Canadazuuk and Divine last year. Basically, we set up the contents of a cache (minus container) based on where we are, and then mail them to another cacher in a different part of the world who sends a cache from their part of the world to the first cacher in exchange.

Both caches are set up in their locales and people who find them get to see items from another part of the world, send travel bugs to different continents, etc.

So who ever is interested just posts things like a log book, pen and cache treasure to the other person and recieves the same back? Does it change how people log the cache if they find it?

No, the logs are the same. I did one with a cacher in Berlin and we put each other on the cache as owners so I get logs when someone finds it in Germany.

The idea of using your own container is that ammo cans aren't always welcome, and they add considerable weight.

:laughing: I would be insterested to be counted in as an exchange student, I mean exchange cacher. I will set up some items that are South African and then forward to such geocacher.

Note: I am in the Gauteng, Johannesburg area for those interested in having their cache around this area.

So where to from here?

So who ever is interested just posts things like a log book, pen and cache treasure to the other person and recieves the same back? Does it change how people log the cache if they find it?

No, the logs are the same. I did one with a cacher in Berlin and we put each other on the cache as owners so I get logs when someone finds it in Germany.

We shared the ownership so that I was the owner of the Finnish counterpart and Canadazuuk was the owner of the Canadian cache. It is clearer that way and this way it doesn't show on your nearest unfound caches page. The hiders can put themselves on each other's caches' watchlists, so they get to see all the logs as fast as if they were the owners.

The idea of using your own container is that ammo cans aren't always welcome, and they add considerable weight.

We used plastic containers, which we sent to each other. About the treasure: it's nice to use stuff that is characteristic of your location. Something that you don't necessarily see often in the exchange country.