How Do I Change All Selected Waypoint Symbols?

Low Bat

I have a Garmin eTrex Vista C, Mapsource software, and use EasyGPS software.

I want to show all the geocaches I've downloaded from geocaching.com to Mapsource with the geocache symbol, and without having to manually change the default symbol in each one. So is there a program that will allow a global changing of the waypoint symbol? I can't find a way to do it with EasyGPS or Mapsource. Any help appreciated.

You should be able to do this in Mapsource and EasyGPS. In Mapsource you go to the waypoints tab, select one of the waypoints to highlight it. Crtl-A will select all the waypoints or you can Shift-Click to the bottom of the list you want to select or Ctrl-Click to select individually. Then Right mouse button click and select waypoint properties. You can then change the icon there.

In EasyGPS you do the same thing except you select edit waypoint.

Yup, I was running MapSource 6.3. Funny thing was I downloaded version 6.5 on Jan. 11th according to the file, just somehow forgot to install it. :lostsignal:

I got it working, thanks for the info. :D

Now I'm wondering if there is a way to download waypoints directly into MapSource and bypass the need for EasyGPS. Anyone know this one?

With mapsource open, click on FILE in the upper left hand corner. Click OPEN a new window will open. Select ALL FILES on the bottom and browse to wherever you have saved your unzipped Pocket Quary or whatever file you want to open. By default Mapsource does not have All Files showing so therefore you usually cant find your PQ or any other file.

If you want screenies let me know and I could post pictures if need be..

Hmmm.... Tried that and MapSource says I can't import it. I'm thinking the problem might be the file downloaded from geocaching.com is automatically saved as something MapSource can't read. Can't seem to control the type of file it's saved as. I know there must be a way I haven't figured out yet.

Ah, I see I can download an individual waypoint and have the choice of .loc or .gpx file, and .gpx file works perfectly. The problem remaining now is when I downlaod multiple checked waypoints the default saving is a .loc file without the ability of changing it. I wonder if uninstalling EasyGPS will make a difference?

also when you choose to open a new file in Mapsource at the very bottom of that window that opens up you'll see a line that says GPS EXCHANGE FORMAT (*GPX) just the right of that is a downward arrow. click on that and you select the different types of files you want to open.. The GPX is the default.....

I'm learning here. So Pocket Queries has a selectable download format, and the normal search page can only download .gpx files on an individual basis. Well then it seems the next little improvement would be a selectable download format for the search page, thereby negating the need for that extra software program. Pocket Queries looks like it has some great advantages, but if all I want is to get geocaches downloaded in .gpx format, then I'd have to get them through email, and possibly needing to unzip them in another process. Hmmm... I wonder what Jeremy thinks about adding a selectable file format download option on the search page?

Heres a screen shot of mapsource. By changing the file type to all files on the bottom of the page you can open .loc files with mapsource i believe. Pocket querries are sent as zipped .gpx files. Windows XP uses winzip built into its program to unzip files so there is no need for another program.

had to edit this here..... upon a test I see that mapsource cannot open a .loc file from the file open page.

run a pocket querry though and you'll be be amazed at the extra features it gives you.

For example my favorites is when viewing the geocaches on the mapsource program i can click on properties of it and hit one button and open it up on my web browser. That feature has saved me many of hours. It also will open and close the treasure chests for the ones you have found and have not found. Another valuable asset...

mapsource.jpg

Edited by top pin