Planning Cache Approaches

Boxer Crew

I have just completed the Virtual Poker Tour by Res2100. Excellent fun.

Whilst tackling the final stage I wondered if I would have been better of with Topo maps on my Garmin 60CS. There are loads of caches in this area along the Bruce Trail. I have no idea where the Bruce Trail goes or where to park. I normally end up taking a very hard short route, rather than a nice hike.

Does the Topo software include trails, especially the Bruce Trail and does the autorouting work with it (I think not). What are my alternatives? How do I find out where the caches are on the bruce trail and where the best access point is?

Thanks

Topo Canada includes a limited number of hiking trails that are routable, but they seem to be kind of hit and miss. Something like the Bruce Trail might very well be included though.

The autorouting will use things like logging roads and such, if they are in the map. It's not a bad approach, but I always find it easier to work with the actual printed, digitally scanned topo maps. I plan routes ahead of time and then just navigate by map and/or GPS.

Regards,

Anthony

I have to be honest..... I miss the days of not knowing where to start, or where to park that is closest.

Rarely in my caches do I post the "Optimum Parking" area, but rather the parking that I consider to be the most enjoyable.

When I was using my Etrex, I knew how far and what direction, but after that it was all guessing where to park and then try to find the trail.

Now with the 60C and Auto-routing most times I know pretty well how to get there or the GPS tells me (although if I 'forget' to put in the suggested parking, the GPS gets creative)

I rarely put in the suggested parking as that makes it all the more fun.

The adventure gets spoiled when everything is worked out for you.

I'd rather, if I am having trouble finding where to start, then and only then will I enter the parking co-ords.

Even when we go "gang caching", it has lead to some fun tales of just getting there.

It really is half the fun!

:D The Blue Quasar

I have to be honest..... I miss the days of not knowing where to start, or where to park that is closest.

Rarely in my caches do I post the "Optimum Parking" area, but rather the parking that I consider to be the most enjoyable.

When I was using my Etrex, I knew how far and what direction, but after that it was all guessing where to park and then try to find the trail.

Now with the 60C and Auto-routing most times I know pretty well how to get there or the GPS tells me (although if I 'forget' to put in the suggested parking, the GPS gets creative)

I rarely put in the suggested parking as that makes it all the more fun.

The adventure gets spoiled when everything is worked out for you.

I'd rather, if I am having trouble finding where to start, then and only then will I enter the parking co-ords.

Even when we go "gang caching", it has lead to some fun tales of just getting there.

It really is half the fun!

:D The Blue Quasar

I couldn't agree more.

I use a laptop for in car navigation and carry a PDA with all caches for 100 miles as well as a CF GPS unit for the PDA with OZI topos and Streets and trips etc.

I really miss the early days when it was just the garmin and a sheet of paper. Trying to navigate through an unfamiliar part of town withh 1000 Cul de Sacs to try and get to the elusive park. It really added alot to the adventure.

Don't get me wrong, I love my toys and they do have advantages for other reasons. It just seemed purer back then.

I have just completed the Virtual Poker Tour by Res2100.  Excellent fun.

Whilst tackling the final stage I wondered if I would have been better of with Topo maps on my Garmin 60CS.  There are loads of caches in this area along the Bruce Trail.  I have no idea where the Bruce Trail goes or where to park.  I normally end up taking a very hard short route, rather than a nice hike.

Does the Topo software  include trails, especially the Bruce Trail and does the autorouting work with it (I think not).  What are my alternatives?  How do I find out where the caches are on the bruce trail and where the best access point is?

Thanks

Here is an image of Mapsource Canada Topos as displayed on my PC. (Results will vary on GPSr's I am sure.

Virt%20Poker%20Ont%20Garmin%20Mapsource.png

This image shows the same area zoomed in a bit but with routing from cache to cache using both roads and trails.

Virt%20Poker%20Route.png

I am not sure if you can create the same routing on the GPS as I do not have a mapping GPSr.

Not knowing where to start can be fun, but there are other ways to do it.

My usual (gonzo-style) approach is to plan a route in detail using topo maps, but deliberately plan one that is harder or longer than necessary. I've turned drivable caches into 25 km hikes, and also turned a short hike down from a mountain top into a brutal 3.5km, 750m uphill, beaver swamp-wading bushwhacking adventure.

Even when visiting urban environments I always find try to find a way to at least walk 3-4 km to find a cache, or use alternate transportation like a mountain bike or even public transit. The last thing I want to do is drive to a cache, it takes away all sense of adventure.

I figure it makes me appreciate each cache more. Of course, each to his own. I realize that different people cache in different ways, and I have all respect for that.

Regards,

Anthony

Yes, finally figured this out after completing most of your series... I now know better!

For parking - I'd prefer to have it posted - especially for those out of town caches where you don't know the area. I have been really frustrated by attempting to locate even an approach to some caches. It's put a damper on the cache which would otherwise have been enjoyable. That's just my take on the whole thing and I know that I'm in the minority on this.

For Bruce Trail caches there is a Bruce Trail Guide available from the Bruce Trail office or in most of the better hiking stores in the area. I've found it invaluable for many of the caches in the area. It has recommended parking for many of the trails and some interesting facts about some of the trails.

Bruce Trail Assoc.

Thanks for the replies.

I agree with everyone :lostsignal:

I like to know where I can park, it may not necessarily be the closest to the cache. For the poker series, had I had a Bruce Trail map, either on the GPS or paper, I may have done the series differently. The trail is great and if I knew it took me from cache to cache I would have followed it.

Just using City Select does not show how the trails link up and does not always suggest the best parking. Several times the GPS suggested I stop temporarily on the 407 or 401. :D

Still it all makes for an adventure.