Ultimate Geocaching Clothes (male)

Ghostcat78

The guy in the picture above has his utili-kilt on backwards. The pleats go in the back. I sometimes wear my kilt while geocaching. It is comfortable and on hot days is cool. I'm not crazy about the utili-kilts for myself, but they have been gaining popularity in the past few years. If you want to wear a utili-kilt... go for it.

Oh! whats worn under the kilt? The pride of Scotland.

Edited by rebapac

I might consider something like that if there were less in the way of stickers around here. Problem is, I don't much feel like having any more of my lower regions open to attack by the briars than already are, since I usually go caching in shorts during warmer weather. Add to that the fact that those things are rather expensive, I think I'm going to pass for now.

I have several kilts including traditional wool tartan, SportKilts, Utilikilts, and Off Kilter kilts. I wear them frequently, including to work and I love them. They are extremely comfortable in most situations, especially when it is very hot and even when it gets cold. I wear them for comfort as well as heritage (I am of Scot and Irish descent).

Though this may make me somewhat different in some's eyes, I am not stupid. If I am doing strictly urban caching, the kilts are fine, but when it comes to bushwhacking through cactus, scrub brush and such here in central Texas, I still prefer hiking boots and jeans or my light nylon long pants (the stuff kind slides off those) with the zip-off lower legs.

PS - Yes the UK's are expensive. There are cheaper alternatives and they are of a more traditional design. Check out AmeriKilts at http://www.amerikilts.com and Buzz Kidder Kilts http://www.buzzkidder.com/ for canvas kilts and for cheaper tartan alternatives check out Stillwater Kilts at http://www.stillwaterkilts.com/kilts.html and Bear Kilts at http://www.bearkilts.com/ . There are mnay others also.

I can't take a man in a skirt seriously. Even if they call it a kilt.

i once knew a trumpet player named dave who as sort of a dare spent a day wearing a yellow floral-print sundress.

for reasons i can only chalk up to his inherent manliness, he did not look the slightest bit girly in it. he also looked good in it, handsome and masculine and the young women went WILD. wild, i tell you.

in my opinion very few men could pull THAT one off, and i dare you to try.

the really odd moment was where i overheard him on the phone to his dad saying "i can certainly see why they wear these things. they're very comfortable."

If you wear shorts while caching your arguments against kilts are invalid. You have bare legs sticking out of your shot pants and critters and thorn bushes can do their attacks on you in them as well. Additionally, men wore kilts a long time before they wore trousers. Look it up, you'll see Alexander the Great, a lot of Greek soldiers and the Romans wearing kilts.

If you're embarrassed to wear a kilt then don't wear one. If you believe that you will be vulnerable to critter attack under the kilt, then don't wear one. But, there are those of us who are quite comfortable in kilt and we,re not any different than you.

Just my 2 cents.

If you believe that you will be vulnerable to critter attack under the kilt, then don't wear one.

Allot of times when I wake up early to feed the horses I don't feel like throwing on my jeans just to take them back off in five min. when I go back to bed.

I just throw a towel around my waist and go for it. Same principle as a kilt. :mad:

As for cridders, they have no good reason to go "up there" but a few weeks ago i reached into the feed bin and just about grabbed a raccoon that was having breakfast. I jumped back (and screamed like a little girl) and ran into the house to get the shotgun and left the towel in my dust. I didn't even realize is for a while. my mom almost had a heart attack when she saw me run out the door with a shotgun in my hand and the you know what flapping in the wind. :(

Anyways,

How about them steelers?

Joe Smith

I'm just trying to think about this situation from a non-geocachers point of view. If I was on a trail in the woods, park, etc. with my family and we saw some guy poking around in the bushes who was wearing a kilt-------------------------Interesting is not going to be the first word that pops in my mind.

I have to believe that it would be almost impossible to be discreet and non-suspicious looking while walking in the woods in a kilt, especially if you finish out the outfit with some bagpipes B)

Maybe in Scotland you can pull this off.

LSUFan

As for cridders, they have no good reason to go "up there" but a few weeks ago i reached into the feed bin and just about grabbed a raccoon that was having breakfast. I jumped back (and screamed like a little girl) and ran into the house to get the shotgun and left the towel in my dust. I didn't even realize is for a while. my mom almost had a heart attack when she saw me run out the door with a shotgun in my hand and the you know what flapping in the wind.

What did you need the shotgun for????

Back OT:

Men in kilts are HOT I tell ya - HOT <_<

I have to believe that it would be almost impossible to be discreet and non-suspicious looking while walking in the woods in a kilt, especially if you finish out the outfit with some bagpipes

Maybe in Scotland you can pull this off.

Yawn on OP. <_< Been there, got cache, wore plaid. Jeep Dog caches in a kilt.

Utilikilt pockets are fine, but I prefer traditional plaid with belt. Between hooking things on the belt and the Sporan, I've got all the space needed.

You are right. It is darn near impossible. But, who cares? No, it wouldn't work in Scotland, either. They wear jeans. <_<

On a sidenote, my lower legs got pretty well torn up by yucca and cactus, but that just added to the fun, especially when I got to the games. After a few shots of scotch, I hardly noticed the stings from the cuts.

Allot of times when I wake up early to feed the horses I don't feel like throwing on my jeans just to take them back off in five min. when I go back to bed.

I just throw a towel around my waist and go for it. Same principle as a kilt. <_<

As for cridders, they have no good reason to go "up there" but a few weeks ago i reached into the feed bin and just about grabbed a raccoon that was having breakfast. I jumped back (and screamed like a little girl) and ran into the house to get the shotgun and left the towel in my dust. I didn't even realize is for a while. my mom almost had a heart attack when she saw me run out the door with a shotgun in my hand and the you know what flapping in the wind. <_<

Anyways,

How about them steelers?

Joe Smith

Thats gotta be the dadgum funniest thing Ive read all day!

Good point. I try to fit in as best I can so the muggles don't get me. This would make it difficult.

I agree, but on the more remote caches in the woods, this is hardly a problem. Indeed, muggles are more prone to steer away from a kilt-clad cacher, as opposed to drawing them.

A kilt in the woods is sort of anti-muggle wear.

Don't you mean .. don't let me be FIRST up the ladder ... or is it an exhibitionist thing???

A kilt goes down to below your knees. The pleats keep it down. You can wear knee-high socks. If you are THAT scared of the midgies getting at your bits ... wear something over them. The Freedom is a tradition. As far as I know there are no laws against waring underpants. Who's going to be looking???

What a fuss!!!

Vanguard

I have several kilts including traditional wool tartan, SportKilts, Utilikilts, and Off Kilter kilts. I wear them frequently, including to work and I love them. They are extremely comfortable in most situations, especially when it is very hot and even when it gets cold. I wear them for comfort as well as heritage (I am of Scot and Irish descent).

Though this may make me somewhat different in some's eyes, I am not stupid. If I am doing strictly urban caching, the kilts are fine, but when it comes to bushwhacking through cactus, scrub brush and such here in central Texas, I still prefer hiking boots and jeans or my light nylon long pants (the stuff kind slides off those) with the zip-off lower legs.

PS - Yes the UK's are expensive. There are cheaper alternatives and they are of a more traditional design. Check out AmeriKilts at http://www.amerikilts.com and Buzz Kidder Kilts http://www.buzzkidder.com/ for canvas kilts and for cheaper tartan alternatives check out Stillwater Kilts at http://www.stillwaterkilts.com/kilts.html and Bear Kilts at http://www.bearkilts.com/ . There are mnay others also.

Thanks for the links to the other kilt sites. I was Googling for them earlier and ran across a couple sites. I may get a cheaper one to try it out before going with the more expensive Utilikilt.

As for cridders, they have no good reason to go "up there" but a few weeks ago i reached into the feed bin and just about grabbed a raccoon that was having breakfast. I jumped back (and screamed like a little girl) and ran into the house to get the shotgun and left the towel in my dust. I didn't even realize is for a while. my mom almost had a heart attack when she saw me run out the door with a shotgun in my hand and the you know what flapping in the wind. :)

Thanks for the good laugh this morning :lol::lol::D

i own one. its great i love the looks i get from people. usually ignorant people who make it obvious they are talking about me. then they begin to look nervous when i just give them a calm long stare right in thier eyes. anyway im 19 and the girls my age love it. some think its wierd but they all want to know if rumor its true. :) thanks for the links above. utilikilts was the cheapest i could find that looked decent quality. i want a woven tarten kilt. i unfortunatly dont have about 300 bills to drop on a clothing item. i like it. i tell my friends that real men wear kilts and they dont seem to dissagree but like most things they arnt for everyone.

peace,bob