Help! My Gps Has Been Stolen!

Shadow the Glider

I would file a police report. You never know, they may catch someone with it or it could get turned in to HQ. Without a police report they would never know it belongs to you...

I know what it feels like lose a GPS. Although mine was not stolen, I lost it in PA while caching and I live quite a distance away in NJ. An instant downer to say the least. Best of luck getting yours back.

Kar

Edited by Team Shibby

If it turns up - and you have a waypoint in for "Home" - it may find its way back to you.

As for misplacing GPS's (not stolen ones) - I put a sticker with my email address and phone number inside the battery compartment so if it's located by a generous soul, at least it has a chance of finding me again.

Good luck - I'd agree with Kar - worth filing a police report as you never know what'll turn up. (worst case, theft loses are deductable on your taxes with a police report).

If it turns up - and you have a waypoint in for "Home" - it may find its way back to you.

As for misplacing GPS's (not stolen ones) - I put a sticker with my email address and phone number inside the battery compartment so if it's located by a generous soul, at least it has a chance of finding me again.

Good luck - I'd agree with Kar - worth filing a police report as you never know what'll turn up. (worst case, theft loses are deductable on your taxes with a police report).

But is it really theft if you leave it laying in the open in a public park? Sounds more like someone recovered abandoned property.......

If it turns up - and you have a waypoint in for "Home" -  it may find its way back to you.

Good luck - I'd agree with Kar - worth filing a police report as you never know what'll turn up.  (worst case, theft loses are deductable on your taxes with a police report).

But is it really theft if you leave it laying in the open in a public park? Sounds more like someone recovered abandoned property.......

Yup. To steal mean to take another's property wrongfully, often surreptitiously. Steal is the most general: stole a car; steals research from colleagues. To purloin is to make off with something, often in a breach of trust: purloined the key to his cousin's safe-deposit box. Filch and snitch often suggest that what is stolen is of little value, while pilfer sometimes connotes theft of or in small quantities: filched towels from the hotel; snitch a cookie; pilfered fruit from the farmer. Cop, hook, and swipe frequently connote quick, furtive snatching or seizing: copped a necklace from the counter; planning to hook a fur coat; swiped a magazine from the rack. To lift is to take something surreptitiously and keep it for oneself: a pickpocket who lifts wallets on the subway. Pinch suggests stealing something by or as if by picking it up between the thumb and the fingers: pinched a dollar from his mother's purse. (this information purloined from Dictionary.com).

Although if I find an ATV with it's keys and borrow it - the "abandoned" property rule applies. (especially if it's a really fast ATV in a cool color). :D

...or check if your friend is out caching and logging new finds w/o you. :ph34r:

Seriously though.

You could post on your regional forum (here, i suppose) and place a "LOST" posting. Perhaps with helpful info... time and place your loss happened... someone who accidentally FOUND your item laying on the ground somewhere in the park, but you didn't know it was missing till later, will post here.

hope this helps.

We left our first GPS unit on the ground near one of AvroAir's Verona Park caches (now archived). We realized we had left it no more than 10 minutes later and returned to the site - it was gone. We thought we would be out of caching for a while but then the addiction took over and we were at Best Buy within days buying a replacement. Our GPS is now rarely unclipped from one of us. Sorry to hear it, though. It's not a good feeling. Chances are pretty good that whoever has it doesn't even know what it is.

Bummers, all around.

And, slightly off topic . . .

I was all ready for a day of roadside attractions last week when I tried to turn my Meridian Gold on. Nothing. New batteries. Nada. Hopped in the car to get NEWER new batteries. Still nothing. What's next? Call another from Team CacheHound and find a store that carries GPSrs, of course! 2 hours later I was back on the (first) road with a brandy-new Gold Color.

When an itch sets in, you really HAVE to scratch it! :lol: