Misplaced Gpsr

zcubed

I have misplaced my Garmin, I hate to think it is lost! We have nice weather this weekend and I am stuck :angry:

My wife said that she thought about hiding it, but insists that she has nothing to do with its disappearance. I have even seriously considered using my Nextel phone that has GPS function, but I know it would probably just be an exercise in frustration. Luckily I already had planned out a hide before I lost it so I have put the finishing touches on that and now have it in for approval.

Anybody else get stuck like me for one reason or another?

Is there a 12 step program for Geocachers? :lol:

Hi I'm webscouter and I'm an addict.

That's why I have two Garmins. I bet if you told your wife that you were going to go buy a new Garmin 60cs, if she did hid your unit it would show up pretty quickly. If not you have a new 60cs. Don't forget to get the mapping software with it.

Edited by webscouter.

I have already told her I was going to go buy a new one and she said to wait to see if the old one will turn up, I do believe her because I'm cranky, and I'm sure she would give it back just to end my whining. :lol:

I'm sad to say I misplaced it around the house, I think. :angry:

I think I am going to go find the webcam cache nearby. :lol:

Oh my! I know exactly what you mean. I think my GPSr fell out of my truck about a month ago... I've been going crazy and having withdrawals ever since. My friends have all laughed at me when I said I lost the GPSr... kind of funny actually :lol: . Hopefully uncle sam will buy me a new one next week with his yearly present - lol. Good thing I don't need one to lurk in the forums - :angry:

Edited by medic208
I have already told her I was going to go buy a new one and she said to wait to see if the old one will turn up, I do believe her because I'm cranky, and I'm sure she would give it back just to end my whining. :lostsignal:

Ummmm... :rolleyes:

How well does she love you?

Monday is a "Special Day"!!

Could be she's sold the old one to get you a nice surprize? B)

Does she know which one you want to step up to?

Sorry, just wishfull thinking on my part! B)

My wife knows so much about GPS units, that if she were to buy me one, I'd have to figure out how to cache in areas that I could only plug a drop cord into!!

:blink:B)B)B):blink:

D-man B)

HOPE I HAVEN'T GOT YOUR HOPES UP FOR A BIG LET DOWN COME MONDAY! SORRY! B)

I really did what you did . . . tore up the house, ripped open the closets, took seats out of my geocar - everything you can think of to find it. Made everyone around me feel dreadfully sorry for me as I shopped for a 60CS.

What is cool, I got the 60CS and then found the Legend in an old coat pocket, ain't life grand? I used the 60CS to navigate roads and the Legend to cache, life was trending well & I was a happy camper. Then a man who was along for the ride caching one night, put my Legend in his pocket but it was grand, while it lasted.

Go for the 60CS, you will be so happy . . . if the other one shows up, you will be ecstatic. Do nothing and simply cut your wrists, one can not live without caching.

I read a story in Backpacker magazine about a hiker who lost his GPS. Luckily he had entered his home coordinates as one of the waypoints. (Of course you must name it 'HOME"). He wrote that within 1-2 weeks of losing it (unfortunately I believe he had already purcahsed a replacement) the wayward GPS shows up in his mailbox. Someone had found it and translated the HOME coordinates into an address and mailed it back to him.

Obviousely the chances of someone finding your GPS that could figure out how to use your HOME coordinates to mail it back to you are slim but thought this was a refreshing story.

I have searched everywhere, all the coats, drawers, the trash, closets, cars, and I even looked in the freezer/fridge. I am slowly accepting the fact it is gone.

I found a web cam and a night cache that I thought I could do without the GPS, I found both. :lostsignal:

I did have my home coords in it, but I think I lost it at home. Kids could have squirreled it away somewhere. I only hope that it shows up when I buy another one.

I read a story in Backpacker magazine about a hiker who lost his GPS. Luckily he had entered his home coordinates as one of the waypoints. (Of course you must name it 'HOME"). He wrote that within 1-2 weeks of losing it (unfortunately I believe he had already purcahsed a replacement) the wayward GPS shows up in his mailbox.

Garmin's had a similar story on their website for years. A blind man used an eMap together with some navigation software on a laptop to find his way around. Unfortunately he lost the eMap in a local park, but it was found by someone who figured out how to operate it and then used it to navigate to the "HOME" waypoint. See:

http://www.garmin.com/whatsNew/adventures/story10.html

That happened to me!!!! I looked and looked all over, and finally decided that I had set it down at a cache site and forgotten to pick it up. I went a few months without (luckily we were busy at work then) later I borrowed a yellow Garmin from my Bro. but then I was so frustrated without the "click stick" I went out and bought a new blue one. In the end I found it behind a candy wrapper way in the back, under the passenger side of the seat in my work truck ( as I was cleaning it out to pass on to another driver. I'm glad I was nice and gave the truck such a thorough cleaning).

What to do with the extra then? Find a muggle friend, and sucker them into becoming one of us (sold if for $100).

The moral of the story is, "check in the WAY BACK under your seat"

in the meantime, if you REALLY need a fix, TRY THIS but you'll need a rubber stamp

Or you can go hunt some Benchmarks

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I leFt my sportrak sitting on a rock in the boonies once. Tore up the house the next weekend looking for it. Finally remembered the rock, went back and there it was, covered in snow, frozen to the rock. Thawed it out and put in fresh batts. Works as good as the day I got it.

I was on the verge of getting a new one before I found it.

I was playing with my Garmin eTrex Vista today and discovered what appears to be an undocumented feature. From the main menu page, if you bump the clik stick once to the left and press, you get a little window that says "Owner Information" click on that and you get a screen to fill in your name and address. There's a check box at the bottom that makes this info display at power-up. I could find no mention of this in the manual.

Don't know if this is on other eTrex models but its worth a look. Sure beats programming your home coordinates and hoping someone can do a reverse lookup for your addy.

Regards,

BBFlatt

Edited by BBFlatt

As I stated earlier, I also did this. I bought my eTrex Vista on eBay and the seller forgot to include the manual. So I spent that first day clicking the buttons and trying to figure out what they did.

Somehow I found that screen and entered that information before I even knew what a "waypoint" was . . . :lol:

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! BBFlatt! :unsure::lol:

After my FIL gave us his Vista, M stumbled onto that page only long enough to delete a letter the first time he played with the GPSr, but could not remeber how he did it for us to change the information. We have read the manual from cover to cover and scoured the boards, but never found anyone who could tell us how to do it.

Our Vista now has the correct owners information! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! BBFlatt! :laughing::laughing:

After my FIL gave us his Vista, M stumbled onto that page only long enough to delete a letter the first time he played with the GPSr, but could not remeber how he did it for us to change the information. We have read the manual from cover to cover and scoured the boards, but never found anyone who could tell us how to do it.

Our Vista now has the correct owners information! :laughing::lol::unsure:

Garmin has all of the owners' manuals on-line.

I downloaded the manual for my legend before I bought it. How's that for anticipation?

I was playing with my Garmin eTrex Vista today and discovered what appears to be an undocumented feature. From the main menu page, if you bump the clik stick once to the left and press, you get a little window that says "Owner Information" click on that and you get a screen to fill in your name and address. There's a check box at the bottom that makes this info display at power-up. I could find no mention of this in the manual.

Don't know if this is on other eTrex models but its worth a look. Sure beats programming your home coordinates and hoping someone can do a reverse lookup for your addy.

Regards,

BBFlatt

Your manual was probably a revision behind your firmware.

When I bought my legend, It didn't have that feature and it could ONLY store 500 waypoints. About 6 months later, I got a software upgrade that enabled the used screen and somehow found space for 1000 waypoints. Like I could survive with only 500 waypoints. That won't even get me 20 miles but that's another thread...

I don't understand.........

You haven't actually surgically implanted it in your palm yet??

Actually I have misplaced mine on numerous occasions and now I own 4 different ones. I hope I misplace them again when a newer sleeker model comes out......but it sure is getting harder to misplace ALL of them.

I ordered a new one on Valentine's day with the wifes approval. :huh: I should get the new one Thursday (Oh, how I wanted to check the next day air shipping option!) and I can't wait. I got the Etrex Vista C this time. Now I hope my old one will magically appear. I never thought that I would grieve over a GPS!

If I would have lost it down a hole at least I would know where it is.

It is comforting to know that my lost GPS knows where it is! :);)

After trying a couple of caches without the GPS I will maybe be that much better. Ok, maybe not.

Just curious, did you read the next log for the last cache that you found with your GPSr?

The last thing I was doing with it in the field was getting coords for a new cache I am setting up. I brought it home to type in the coords and from there....POOF! I have no idea where it went, but I know I had it here because I have the coords. ;)

I have had a chuckle when I see GPS units with camo covers

Why!? Where?!!

one can not live without caching.

unless you're a muggle ;)

Check your caching bag very carfully, I lost mine for two weeks and then found it in my caching bag that I had been using the whole time, (My caching buddy used the waypoints on his GPS during that time) It turned up on the top of everything too! :)

Check your caching bag very carfully, I lost mine for two weeks and then found it in my caching bag that I had been using the whole time, (My caching buddy used the waypoints on his GPS during that time) It turned up on the top of everything too! :mad:

I have turned the house upside down, mrs. zcubed has as well. I have looked even in the most ridiculous places, freezer, under the kitchen sink, etc. Nada, Zero, nothing.

I Don't Know what I would Do without my GPS... I Also have 2 Just incase!!! haha. I would absolutly Die, I use it at least once a day even when there aren't any caches. One day it wouldn't pick up satelittes and I looked online for a new one, haha. Now I just ordered the 60CS and I'm so excited to add it into the pile with the Rino110 and the handspring