Giving My Son His Own Account?

showme69

I spent a minute trying to think of a reason why it wouldn't be OK and couldn't come up with a single one. Go for it. It may add to his enjoyment to the sport if he can log his own finds and track his numbers - or he may not give a hoot. The only way to find out is if you give him an account. Be sure to let him pick the name.

Edited by briansnat

Just didn't know if anyone had ever objected to logging finds for a child since they aren't actually "finding" the cache as far as using GPS, etc. Although he is very handy when we're close. I know it will add to his enjoyment of geocaching, but since I'm new to this, I just wanted some input as to the etiquette. Thanks.

Just didn't know if anyone had ever objected to logging finds for a child since they aren't actually "finding" the cache as far as using GPS, etc. 

I'm not sure about your experience, but on our cache outings, the 11 year old and 6 year old are just as likely to "find" the cache as are Mom and Dad. I've had more than one outing trying to tell my son, "no, the GPSr says it's 50' this way" and hearing, "Dad, I see it!".

And they both have their own accounts...I'm really the only one of us who logs online most of the time though. They love having nicknames that they picked to sign in logs!

Edit to add: And they take turns leading with the GPSr too, so other than entering coordinates and driving to locations, they participate as much as anyone.

Edited by KoosKoos
I know it will add to his enjoyment of geocaching, Thanks.

Your son, just lost his tail. :lostsignal::rolleyes::blink:

Check you mail box, again. :blink:

Your numbers are in!

Happy Caching, ----- SF1

Thanks again SF1. The membership has been activated. B)B) And thanks to everyone for the input.

Edited by showme69

My son (13) has had his own GPS for the last year, he more often than not leads us on our cache finds lately. Teenagers are like that, keeps him interested because he is leading us "old folks" :lostsignal:

I am looking for a new GPSr for myself this year, and my Rino 120 will go down to my elder daughter. Guess I should think about having them go make their own accounts.

My children have their own accounts, though they are not caught up online.

I figured that if they someday want to get into it heavily when they are older, they will have a correct count on the site. Years later, caches will be archived, or you won't remember the answers to virtuals, etc. If you start their account early, it will always be accurate and up to date with where they have been.

Just didn't know if anyone had ever objected to logging finds for a child since they aren't actually "finding" the cache as far as using GPS, etc. Although he is very handy when we're close. I know it will add to his enjoyment of geocaching, but since I'm new to this, I just wanted some input as to the etiquette. Thanks.

When I take my 7 and 13 year olds out, I never "find" the cache. I let them search for quite a while before I start giving "hints" on where I would hide it. And then sometimes I just give them ideas while I "sit" next to the cache. :lol:

Sign him up now. Don't make my msitake! My daughter and I cached for just under 1-year under the same name before I finally set her up with her own account. Now we have to go back to all of the 230 finds we have amassed so she can sign the log and enter them into her account. Kind of takes the fun out of the sport doing the same ones over again. It's either do them over again or listen to whining about passing them up as we drive by to other unfound locations!

Bulli The Wonder Dog has more than 1500 cache finds.

I should advise - if you're going to give an account to your kid/dog/cat/guppy/gerbil/hampster/frozen monkey it's best you do it right away.

It's very annoying as a cache owner to get logs like

"thanks"

"found before now I have my own account"

etc.. that are dated the current date and not when the person actually found the cache.

Plus, it messes up people's pocket queries.

So yeah, go ahead and do it, but do it now.

I guess you could make up names for them now also if they aren't aware you ar doing it and if they decide to pick their own at a later date the name can be changed and those changes will reflect in the logs.

I think I will add ones for my two kids now so I don't have to go back and do a lot later.

Kinda related:

My wife and I cached under the same banner account: Avroair, but as she has become more and more involved at events and geocaching we started a new account for her since it looks a little weird if we log caches from Germany and New York in the same day. ;)

I have met quite a few families who have accounts for kids, I think it is cool since the kids get a piece of independence and the family gets a family activity. ;)

Both my 5 and 6 yo boys have their own accounts. The 6 yo is learning how to use the GPSr, and caching gives him opportunities to consider geography, map skills, etc. The 5 yo is just happy to be out looking for "treasure."

The other nice thing is that they can each have their own travel bugs on their own accounts to watch. It's very exciting when the email comes about the travel bugs moving from one place to another!

Based on this thread I created accounts for my 6 & 10 yos. I never thought about them having a seperate account to log finds since they have gone with me caching. The question I have is should I "go back" and add them to the caches we found? I don't have that many finds but better then half of mine they were on or should I just let it go and let them start logging from today on? Thanks for the input.

Thanks,

jaw

Based on this thread I created accounts for my 6 & 10 yos. I never thought about them having a seperate account to log finds since they have gone with me caching. The question I have is should I "go back" and add them to the caches we found? I don't have that many finds but better then half of mine they were on or should I just let it go and let them start logging from today on? Thanks for the input.

Thanks,

jaw

I would say it is totally up to you. My wife has accompanied me on cache hunts since I started, but choose not to go back and log every cache. Starting new isn't all that bad.

Thanks,

jaw

Definiately. If they went to them, they should be able to log them. Should they go back to them again later, just so they can log them?

I would make a little form thing when you do this. Have them log on the same day as you did, and then say something like, I'm just catching up on logs, or, went to the cache with my family, or, sorry just now logging. But if they never signed the physical log, make sure and say that they did it with you in their log.

I take my 8 y/o with me most of the time. We'll get really close and I usually spot them about 95% of the time but I always pretend like I don't see it. I'll have him go check in that hollow tree or under that log, ect...ect... that way he is the one finding them. I have found that by doing this he stays excited about the sport and he just loves hunting for them. As a matter of fact, he is the usually the one asking if we can go.

BTW, I also set him up with an account, so now he is double psyched!!

Good luck and have fun!!