1873/1888 Sealed Bottle W/ Notice

Neweyess

Has anyone recovered a sealed bottle from the late 1800's containing a US Survey Notice ... or any sealed bottles for that matter?

Among other things EY3415 mentions:

1/1/1903 by CGS (GOOD) THE SWEET-GUM POST WITH A COPPER NAIL IN THE TOP WHICH WAS PLACED AGAINST THE EAST SIDE OF THE SCREW PILE IN 1888, WAS RECOVERED IN 1903 WITH THE TOP 8 INCHES ABOVE WATER. THE EMPTY BLACK BOTTLE (1888) WHICH WAS BURIED AGAINST THE SCREW PILE, 3 FEET BELOW THE SURFACE OF THE MARSH WAS NOT DISTURBED, AND THE SEALED BOTTLE CONTAINING A U.S. COAST SURVEY NOTICE, WAS REPLACED 1 FOOT BELOW THE SURFACE. A NEW REFERENCE POST, 5 BY 6-INCHES SQUARE AND 5 FEET LONG, WAS SET IN 1903.

1/1/1976 by NGS (GOOD) THE UNDERGROUND MARK IS AN IRON SCREWPILE DRIVEN INTO THE GROUND AND ACCORDING TO THE 1932 DESCRIPTION THIS APPEARS TO BE THE ORIGINAL CAFFEE 1873.

1/1/1985 by USPSQD (GOOD)

I'd like to visit this one if I only had a boat! Seems like some authority should place those bottles in a museum if they can still be recovered.

Neweyess

Except for this statement from 1932:

A NEW STATION, CAFFEE 2, WAS CAST DIRECTLY OVER THIS STATION, WITH

THE STANDARD DISK CENTERED OVER THE ORIGINAL SCREW PILE. SEE

DESCRIPTION OF CAFFEE 2.

Which leads me to believe the bottle was either removed or cast into the concrete monument. Many of these older stations were replaced by standard disks, often in the 1930s it seems, in order to ensure their permanance.

GC2163

Kinda , filled with ashes ........... JOE

That is a very interesting find. PFF and I are involved in an effort to find a number of chiseled crosses like this one in Mocksville, NC from 1899: FA2607

You mentioned the jug with ashes but the log didn't specifically say you found that too. Did you? If so, what condition was it in and what did you do with it?

Neweyess

I hope they didn't find the jug! It is under the monument, approximately three feet underground, by the description.

What was the purpose of the jug with ashes or of bottles with notes in them. Authentication? If so, why would they be placed below the monument where they can't be checked without destroying the position of the monument. Anyone know what the thinking was?

(Original Survey Plat)

The Original Mark,Bottle with ashes,common at the time was verified as found.

This being witnessed by the next Surveyor's verified recovery.

(Survey Recovery)

Placed with witness's to a point where they knew it would not be further disturbed,they then placed the monument upon the exact point as well as could be.

(Permanance)

This being to further protect all the documentations and work of the previous surveyor's.

Future recovery,well as we all know that monument placed is sure more stable than a bottle of ashes.

(Stability) you found it didn't you?

Like a time capsule I would assume.

Once we rebuilt a triangulation station and reobserved it with GPS. The NGS advisior sent us 2 stamped disks, one for the underground. We placed it in concete about 5 ft down, placed an new metal NGS witness sign on top of the hole in which the ug mark was set with our names on the back of it written in paint and the date set.

RL1102

RL1102 STATION RECOVERY (1995)

RL1102

RL1102'RECOVERY NOTE BY MICHIGAN DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION 1995 (BRT)

RL1102'MARK WAS FOUND REPLACED WITH AN IRON PIPE FROM REFERENCE MONUMENTS BY

RL1102'RICHARD L. DRAHN, US FOREST SERVICE, UNDERGROUND MARK WAS FOUND PILED

RL1102'IN STONES SURROUNDING FOREST SERVICE PIPE. PER INSTRUCTIONS FROM NGS

RL1102'STATE GEODETIC ADVISOR THE USFS MARK WAS REMOVED AND A NEW STATION WAS

RL1102'ESTABLISHED. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT STATE GEODETIC ADVISOR.

Edited by elcamino