direction of attack

Dersu

I just tried to find my first cache and went in from the worst direction. I started on public property, but maybe ended up going through private woods for about a 1/2 mile! As it turned out the cache was easy to get to 180 degrees from my direction, as it was rated a 1 star. Why don't we have a best compass direction to start the search for the cache? By the way, my sorry batteries ran out at 20 feet from the motherload! Now gotta go back, or maybe I should say, I get to go back. It was fun.

I sometimes find myself wishing the cache placer had put directions to the best parking spot in the cache discription. Especially for caches located in cities and towns that I'm not familiar with, or remote areas with just little back roads that don't show up on my GPSr map display.....

I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should happen to get back before I return, please ask me to wait.

Sometimes it is the hunt for where to start that is fun...I usually start with the maps the night before and go from there , figuring what my best course of attack is, though it is never foolproof! I agree , you always find the easier way after you are already in the thick of things!

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

All you have to do to fly is throw yourself at the ground and miss!

I like to tell folks that there are at least 360 different ways to approach a cache.

There is one cache down the street from me, that because of high water in a pond, several folks have not been able to get to it....there is a road directly behind it, but folks get caught up in "following the needle" and don't think to walk around to the road.

I have one cache that folks were swimming across a creek and climbing up a rock wall to reach the cache before I included a tip..."walk across the creek down low, then walk up the other side"

Like others have said, getting there is half the fun...check your maps! icon_biggrin.gif

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Finding where to park and planning your approach is half the fun!

Personally, I usually include parking coordinates in the encrypted hint and label them as such. This way those who'd rather not search for the best place to park have an alternative. But they should careful, because I choose the parking spot for the most intersting route, rather than the easiest.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

quote:
Originally posted by Dersu:

Why don't we have a best compass direction to start the search for the cache? By the way, my sorry batteries ran out at 20 feet from the motherload! Now gotta go back, or maybe I should say, I get to go back. It was fun.

Well, for one it would ruin half the fun, and second you wouldn't have ended up with the funny story.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

As everyone has been saying, extra batteries is a good thing, not just to make sure you have enough juice to find the cache but to get out and find the car!

It may seem silly but it is so easy to get turned around in the woods when you are looking for a cache and your head is down watching the GPS and not paying attention to your surroundings! The back track feature has saved my butt on occasion!

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

All you have to do to fly is throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Yep, we've found that finding a parking place is 1/2 the fun. Check out the All Alonecache. We spent a couple of hours driving nearly all the way around it. We posted a picture of our bread crumb trail too. Turned out to be one of the best caches we've ever found.

We've spent lots of time driving around unfamiliar neighborhoods trying to find a parking lot to a park the car. It can be frustrating, and is not gas tank friendly, but actually ads excitement to the hunt.

Full gas tank, fresh batteries and you're off for day of fun!!!

Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

Particularly if you use the Garmin Roads and Recreation. I decided to do a couple of caches while I was at Fort Hood last month. As it turned out none of the residential streets mentioned on the cache page were on the Garmin map. I ended up seeing a lot of pretty homes and met some nice people while wandering around.

I thought I owed some of the neighbors an explanation of why I kept driving by and stopping, like I was not casing their house and it was not necessary to call the authorities.

Hiemdahl

PDA / Cell-tech / laptop will never replace a good paper map. Every year for XMAS, I ask for a Rand McNally road atlas. And I have to get new navigation charts. Spend some time instead of looking for a quick fix. Following an arrow is stupid. Print the caches out and look at a map. If you can afford a GPS and computer gear, why can't you afford time to print a B/W map of the area?

Slackers Invade Geocaching. Film at 11...

CCC, I may have been a slacker in preparation for my first outing and I suppose that you were a expert on your first outing, but I was able to come up with 30 bucks to become a charter member before ever starting this new hobby. How about you, why don't you support the folks that provide you with this forum to deride people you don't even know? Whose the real slacker here?

Hello Cape Cod Cacher,

I have found over 100 caches now and never looked at a map once. I will admit I use the Garmin GPS V that will usually autoroute me as close to the cache as I can get with my car. Then, I switch the V to "offroad" and finish my journey. If you are going to rely on maps all the time, leave your gps home and find the caches like cacher WaldenRun does. He is truly amazing. Over 500 caches and no gps!