Caches In Stone Mountain Np

Breiti

I am planning to stay at the Stone mountains NP in Atlanta, GA, for a day.

Any recommendations which of the about 16 caches are best practise? Especially when I want to invite a rookie into geocaching and therefore do not want to search in dog s***, dumping areas or boring micros on a parking lot which were placed by throwing a can out of the open car window.

Thanks for any answers.

I am pretty new in Atlanta and was sometimes disappointed about the imaginativeness of some cache owners to place caches in urban areas.

Any recommendations which of the about 16 caches are best practise? Especially when I want to invite a rookie into geocaching and therefore do not want to search in dog s***, dumping areas or boring micros on a parking lot which were placed by throwing a can out of the open car window.

Thanks for any answers.

I am pretty new in Atlanta and was sometimes disappointed about the imaginativeness of some cache owners to place caches in urban areas.

I haven't done the Stone Mountain trip yet to get them, but you can get recommendations for the best ones by posting in the Georgia Geocachers Association forums http://ggaonline.org/eve/ubb.x.

I'm glad you prefaced your comments with "I am pretty new in Atlanta" or you might get an earful from people who cache around here.

You obviously have not done any of Erik's or Trailerman's or Trez's or.....I could go on with alot of placers.

Looking at your profile, you've only done 6 caches in Atlanta and there are over 1800 in the Atlanta/North Georgia area.

The problem in the Atlanta metro is cache density.

Which caches do you go for?

Well, try some of the guys above's caches and you can also hit the GGA Outstanding Caches for the last three years.

After you've done some of these, come post back to this thread on your opinion of the imaginativeness of Atlanta area cachers.

And you can also do like I did ....stop criticizing and put some high quality caches out yourself. Raise the standard and others will follow. I look forward to doing some of your placements.

Oh...and if you are staying in Atlanta, get to one of the GGA Meeting Events to meet some of the cachers from around here. They will help steer you toward better caches to do.

Kenneth

Thanks for any answers.

Ken Pruett pretty much said it all, but...

Stone Mountain has a very nice variety of caches. THere are a couple of micros (I've found one, I liked it, nice nature walk) and virtuals (some like 'em, sone don't).

If you've the time, do Lost in Stone Mountain and attempt to Find F.R.E.D.

I've enjoyed all the ammo-box finds in Stone Mountain. Nice walks in a nice park.

I will say that you need to venture out to different areas of Metro Atlanta to get a feel for the different types of hides. Yeah, there's some lame ones; however, the number of good/great hides greater outnumber their "lame" kin.

Do take up the offer to view the GGA forums - and we have a meeting tomorrow in Conyers to boot.

I've heard some of the Stn Mtn virtuals are lame, but remember that's hearsay. I liked the one virtual I did there though.

I've only completed half the caches in that park thus far, but I'm told Find F R E D is a must do that will take you about 2 hrs. Of the caches I've done there, I liked Kids Meal, Scout it out, Do You Wanna Camp and Rock n Roll quite a bit. Of course your opinion may vary.

I'll admit the 6 caches you've done in Atlanta are not a very true representation of what else is here. If you think they're lame, then I suggest doing non-micro caches in the area for awhile before you make erroneous judgements in the future :laughing:

Welcome to the fray!

There are lame caches everywhere. I did one way south of Atlanta that I found just by the name; I didn't even need my GPSr or the hint.

There are quite a few really, really evil caches within 30 miles of the center of downtown. Most caches around here are well rated, so if it's rated as a 1/1, it's probably a bit easy to find. We tend to have a good mix so that newbies can enjoy the fun and have successful hunts.

I echo the others in inviting you to Conyers tomorrow. See ya on the hunt!

Welcome to America, my friend!

Any recommendations for cache hunting in Germany?

I hope to get there soon, as there doesn't seem to be any "dog s***, dumping areas or boring micros on a parking lot which were placed by throwing a can out of the open car window" caches there. Or is there?

My kind of cachining local.

I live next to stone mtn park and have done all of the caches in stone mtn except one requiring a boat. Your must hit caches are tour of stone mtn, Litter Box Rocks, and Find FRED. If you can do all those you are pretty darn good. Of course there are many nice walks in the woods that deserve credit but those 3 are the best in my opinion.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Yes, I am really new in Atlanta,  but was quite surprised about Midtown Magnolia and especially A dog of a cache, what the goal of these caches should be.

The goal for these is a quick and easy smilie (find). Just look at the persons who placed those caches and avoid doing other caches of theirs for awhile if you don't like 'em, or save those kind of hides for when you don't have all day to cache.

Personally speaking, I appreciate the quick finds when I don't have a lot of time or the weather is poor.

Hope you can make it to the meeting in Conyers tomorrow and meet us all for food.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Hey, as one of the owners of a cache in stone mountain, I thought I would put my two cents in. My cache is kids meal. It is not a difficult find, but a very nice walk in the woods. I would also suggest tour of stone mountain. If you want to do both multis, I suggest doing them together. Finding FRED is good, but bring a good flashlight. Skip the vituals. Hope you have a good visit to stone mountain.