Software To Facilitate Geocaching

Hi-Ho Silver

For the last few months I've been reading this forum and a couple of GPS-related newsgroups. It seems like there are a lot of programs out there that can be used to manage cache data, and/or interface with the GPSr, and/or facilitate the use of a PDA/PPC for geocaching. Just when I think I've got a handle on what program(s) to use, someone suggests a diferent piece of software to handle the job. Bottom line: my head hurts!

Is there a web site that

(1) lists the more popular programs available,

(2) describes the features that each provides, and

(3) gives some simple indication as to applicability (i.e., If you just want to 'blah-blah-blah', then use program XYZ.)?

Slightly Overwhelmed,

Hi-Ho Silver

To simplify (I hope), I'll go out on a limb and say that most cachers fall into two camps, with some variation and cross-over.

One camp is the EasyGPS/Plucker/Spinner camp. They use EasyGPS on their computers to manage cache files downloaded from GC.com, and load them into their GPSr. Then they use the Plucker/Spinnercombination to get that data onto their PDA. Cacher CyBret has some great tips on this approach at this page of his great Geocacher-U site. This combo works well, but in my limited experience, requires a fair amount of time to get things loaded the way you want them. I believe all of this software is free, so that has some appeal

The other camp (to which I belong) uses Geocaching Swiss Army Knife on their PC to manage cache data and upload caches to their GPSr. Most folks in the second camp go with CacheMate on their PDA. GSAK is free, but nags you for a very resonable one time fee after 21 days. It is a very power program for sorting and filter caches. Most users swear by it (and not at it), and gladly pony up the fee. Questions are promptly answered by ClydeE, who seem always to be hanging out in the forums when he isn't working to make GSAK better. Cachemate is not just a PDA based web browser. It is designed specifically to manage cache data and is great to use in the field. I think it is like $8 or something.

This isn't what you asked for, but hope it helps until someone comes along with the link you are looking for.

Edited by Sputnik 57

I agree with Sputnik 57. GSAK and CacheMate are the only things you need as far as software. You can use GSAK for so many things. I use a laptop and GPS for real-time navigation and I export pushpins from GSAK to locate all Cache’s for the area I will be traveling.

Cannot say enough for both of the above programs.

NJLOAD