Gonna go at it alone tomorrow~

AuntGiGi

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:
Originally posted by Kanto:

Redundant Post #1

Be nice to Newbie Day is today. Try it.

No, I was referring to my own post, not AuntGigi's. Sorry bout the confusion. icon_rolleyes.gif

______________________________________________ Kanto

This time of year, bring LOTS of water with you. I learned that lesson the hard way. It sucks running out 2/3 of the way back to the car, and with the temp and humidity both at 93 it was a rough hike. Especially with feeling light headed and a little nauseas.

quote:
Originally posted by AuntGiGi:

I hope so! I get lost going home sometimes, so this is a good challenge for me icon_biggrin.gif

Just set a waypoint before leaving home, and then you can search for it on the way back. But be sure to log it as a note, not a find....

Seriously, good luck!

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

And by all means, don't forget to waypoint your car before you leave it!

Good luck!

quote:

I hope so! I get lost going home sometimes, so this is a good challenge for me icon_biggrin.gif

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

I know how you feel. When I first got my GPS unit, I was up until 2 in the morning just playing around. Once I got to my first cache site, I couldn't find it. I really thought that this was a big joke (really, I did icon_biggrin.gif ). I didn't give up and I actually found one. My record isn't that great looked for 10 found 2 icon_frown.gif .

Good Luck and be safe

DiverMan

quote:

I am having problems finding the areas....I need addresses or something LOL. I still haven't figured out the GPS yet.....

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today"-James Dean

Maybe you can hook up with another "seasoned" cacher in your area to show you the ropes of your gpsr and geocaching.

I haven't found that many caches, but I prefer going alone, or at the most with just one other person.

icon_confused.gif Can't see the fun of the 'team' concept where people head out in groups greater than 2. If someone else finds the cache that is in your group, how could that be fun for you? (and when I say 'you', I mean no one in particular, just using it as a global reference.)

quote:
Originally posted by donbadabon:

I haven't found that many caches, but I prefer going alone, or at the most with just one other person.

icon_confused.gif Can't see the fun of the 'team' concept where people head out in groups greater than 2. If someone else finds the cache that is in your group, how could that be fun for you? (and when I say 'you', I mean no one in particular, just using it as a global reference.)

Actually, I prefer going with the gf and the kids. If I go into the woods alone people might think I'm some kind of pervert. If my gf and I go in, they think we are up to hanky-panky! icon_wink.gif If we have a couple of kids in tow...nobody even gives us a second look! Kids are GREAT cover!! icon_smile.gif The muggles think we are just hiking! icon_cool.gif

quote:

I am having problems finding the areas....I need addresses or something LOL. I still haven't figured out the GPS yet.....

1. the clues often give you a good idea of where to start

2. make sure to use the zoom feature. it can be confusing as to how close (or far) you are from a cache based on screen proximity if the zoom isn't set properly.

good luck!

~robert

(that's mrkablooey, not kablooey)

quote:
Originally posted by Spzzmoose:

Actually, I prefer going with the gf and the kids. If I go into the woods alone people might think I'm some kind of pervert. If my gf and I go in, they think we are up to hanky-panky! icon_wink.gif If we have a couple of kids in tow...nobody even gives us a second look! Kids are GREAT cover!! icon_smile.gif The muggles think we are just hiking! icon_cool.gif

A buddy of mine and I went to do a quick lunch cache yesterday. Got to the park, parked the car, and disappeared into the woods through an opening in the trees. When we found the cache and returned back to the lot, there was a park ranger standing there next to his vehicle, talking on the phone. I can imagine what his thoughts were as two men come out of the woods at lunchtime. My friend, thinking quickly, grabbed his GPS to show we were caching. Me, thinking quickly, and always the wise-guy wanting to make someone's day, kept wiping my mouth with my sleeve, hoping to at least give the guy something to talk about when he got back to the office. icon_wink.gif

~robert

(that's mrkablooey, not kablooey)

quote:
Originally posted by mrkablooey:

quote:
Originally posted by Spzzmoose:

A buddy of mine and I went to do a quick http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=37723 yesterday. Got to the park, parked the car, and disappeared into the woods through an opening in the trees. When we found the cache and returned back to the lot, there was a park ranger standing there next to his vehicle, talking on the phone. I can imagine what his thoughts were as two men come out of the woods at lunchtime. My friend, thinking quickly, grabbed his GPS to show we were caching. Me, thinking quickly, and always the wise-guy wanting to make someone's day, kept wiping my mouth with my sleeve, hoping to at least give the guy something to talk about when he got back to the office. icon_wink.gif

~robert

(that's _mrkablooey_, not _kablooey_)

ROFLMAO! Thats just wrong! icon_biggrin.gif

AuntGigi,

Before you go off into the woods alone, first make sure you know how your GPS works. Read this thread to see what can go wrong just .50 miles from the car. Bring plenty of water, maybe a snack, waypoint your car, carry a hiking stick, and start with some easy ones not too deep into the woods. Don't forget fresh batteries, and your map research. Have fun. And be prepared to hear a lot more noices than you noticed before. I heard every squirrel, bird, twig snap, and bug crawl on my first solo hike. Be prepared.

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

I hate going at it alone...

Most of the caches in my area are easy ones, so it's kinda boring to walk along a mile of bike trail to sign a log book. (look up Cache22 in 44004 zip)

I tried to do a couple by myself and couldn't find either one of them. (dumb micros)

and definitely expect the unexpected. Matt went solo on a couple of caches a few weeks back and, from how the caches appeared by their description and such, they seemed to be easy, short hikes to reach. Well, 3.5 hours, multitudinous mosquito bites, bramble scratches, and false starts down the wrong trails later, he emerged victorious...and VERY thirsty...he had brought no water or sustenance with him...so, be prepared for anything...as much as you can...

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.---Matthew 13:44

Matt & Julia

To view our online geocaching diary/blog, click here

I wish outer space guys would conquer the Earth and make people their pets, because I'd like to have one of those little beds with my name on it.

- Jack Handey (aka Jack Handy)

Judging from the responses on her "WOO-HOO" thread, AuntGIGI will never have to go it alone again. There's plenty of guys to go with her.

Maps?!? I don't need no stinking maps! I got coordinates!

There's a fine line between Geocaching and mental illness, I just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Don't forget a couple VERY important things about goecaching alone: 1)ALWAYS let someone know where you are going and when you'll be back. Be creative about this. 2)Carry your cell phone or a whistle if you are out of cell range. 3)Don't find yourself off-trail and alone with a broken ankle, broken leg, snake bite, lost, etc. 4)When in Urbania, be street smart; when in the boonies, be wilderness smart. Geocaching is fun, but don't risk your life.