Trying To Pick

I suggest the 60cs. Why? Because I bought it recently, and so far it is performing excellently. The battery life has been a great improvment over my vista as well as map panning speeds. Plus it's color, which is another perk.

What I don't like about it (but this goes for all GPS's at this time) is lack of full geocaching management (i.e. Easier management, proper descriptions, hints, etc), but you can't have everything.

56mb of map storage is still not alot, especially for the price. But at this time it's enough for me to load my entire state from city select. I'll have to see how it holds up with topo, but I doubt it will even be close. But for me personally, thats not much of a problem since I usually plan ahead for hiking trips and come prepared with paper maps.

usb map transfer though greatly reduces the pain of having to reload maps from time to time.

I'm also a little worried about the antenna since it sticks out there a little, but REI (where I bought it) said that if anything happened to it, bring it in and they'd give me a replacment. (I'll have to see how that works out :D )

You might want to wait for the new explorist 600 that is supposed to be comming out soon and just give it a test drive before making your decision. If its all its cracked up to be, I would greatly consider buying it. But we'll have to see. 16 vs 256 colors.... Sure it's enough to show maps, but I'd need to see it in person how well it looked. But the unlimited map storage with SD cards and 3 axis compas are intriguing.

Of the models that are listed the Magellan Meridian Platinum would be my first choice. Not only can you store more maps if you increase the memory on your GPS with a larger SD memory card. With the Meridian you can store your waypoints on the memory card in small files if you would like to, In my Meridian gold I have around 3,000 waypoints stored. These are in files of 80 to 100 caches, each file is for a different city that I cache in. If I want to look up a geocache I just bring up the file for the city I am in and I only have through the caches for the city, sure a Garmin may hold up to 1,000 caches, but do you have any idea how long it would take to go through that many when looking for one. Now the file can also be sorted by cache type, or difficulty or terrain, how ever you would like to save them.

Another advantage with the magnetic compass on the Magellan GPSrs. is that you do not have to hold a Magellan GPS level for the compass to work as you do with a Garmin. This is because the Magellan uses a triaxial compass.

As far as TOPO software, Magellan’s map send TOPO includes all street names, Garmin map source TOPO only has names of major roads. Also with Magellan the while running map send TOPO the GPS will display a terrain projection of the course in front of you, Garmin will not do this.

I am currently using a SportTrak Pro, which has been great for many things, but not so great for others.

What I like:

It's rugged - encased in rubber, I have dropped it 40 feet on the rocks with no damage. It's waterproof, and it floats! This whammajamma can take the beating. Once the 'countdown' passes, it's accurate. REALLY accurate. Battery life is about 15 hours continuous.

What I don't like:

The above mentioned 'countdown'. When I get within 100 feet, I have to stop and let the GPS countdown. I think this is from the heavy averaging, which makes the unit so accurate. But it's a pain. The Mapsend Topo software SUCKS! I can't tell you how many times it has put me on the wrong side of the river, road, hill, etc. The Topo map is just WAY OFF. I wasted my money buying it.

SO, for just a little over $200 you can buy this very accurate receiver which will work like a tank on the trail, but you'll sacrifice some of the niceties of the newer GPSrs. Hope this helps...

I just got the 60C and am enjoying the many new features over my older etrex yellow.

The screen in nice, definitely need Mapsource for maps as the base maps are poor.

Very small unit, but with a nice large screen. Easy to learn.

the CS gives you an electronic compass and a barametric altimeter. Is that worth the extra $120? I am not sure, will you ever climb everest? :D

For the family the 60C is great.

Well, I am looking for Caching, Hiking, General Directions. I have never needed Driving Directions, I just don't get lost while driving, 1.9 Million Miles and no accidents.

But, every GPS on the unit is on the price range I have in mind.

As for the Explorist 600, will it float? When is it coming out? Also, the internal Li-Ion battery kind of scares me for caching weekends in the woods.

As for the Lowrance models, I was not impressed by the website, will be looking at them closer this weekend at BassPro, if they have them.

So, anybody else got any other opinions on these?

I like the idea of the SD cards, as they are already in the Palm.

As for the Explorist 600, will it float? When is it coming out? Also, the internal Li-Ion battery kind of scares me for caching weekends in the woods.

As for the Lowrance models, I was not impressed by the website, will be looking at them closer this weekend at BassPro, if they have them.

I like the idea of the SD cards, as they are already in the Palm.

I do not know if the explorist will float, but the battery can be switched out for another one.

With the SD card you can store your waypoints on the memory card in small files if you would like to, In my Meridian gold I have around 3,000 waypoints stored. These are in files of 80 to 100 caches, each file is for a different city that I cache in. If I want to look up a geocache I just bring up the file for the city I am in and I only have through the caches for the city, sure a Garmin may hold up to 1,000 caches, but do you have any idea how long it would take to go through that many when looking for one. Now the file can also be sorted by cache type, or difficulty or terrain, how ever you would like to save them. I have not used the new Explorist, but my guess is they will offer the same features. It does say in the description they have a file system built into them.

As far as the Lowrance products, I have not seen any TOPO map software listed on their web site, but then again their web site is not the easiest one to find information on. They mention the Map Create software and street maps, but there is no mention of topo map software.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I think the Meridian represents the best value, though I'd be tempted by the 60's for the gee-whiz color and more elegant auto-routing capabilities. I have a Plat and think very highly of it. I consider SD memory an essential for *my* use.

The main thing I wanted to mention here, though, is that the new MapSend Topo3D addresses most of the inaccuracies that were cause for complaint in the older Topo product.

The Explorist 600 is reportedl by some vendors to be coming out in "early March." I don't know if it floats, either, but it is described as waterproof. If you are driving in your car from cache to cache on your weekend outings, you can recharge as you are driving. It you are away from power sources for extended time, extra [proprietary] battery pack(s) may be needed.

Well, I am looking for Caching, Hiking, General Directions.

I would suggest looking seriously at the Garmin GPSmap 60CS and the RINO 130.

The 60CS provides driving directions (whether or not you need them it's fun to let the GPS route you to the next geocache) and a barometric pressure altimeter. The altimeter acts as a good weather indicator as long at you are not changing altitude (like when you camp for the evening). It also has a nifty geocaching mode.

The RINO doesn't offer the driving directions or the geocaching mode, but it does have the barometric pressure altimeter and a NOAA radio.

I have a 60CS so I have to carry a seperate NOAA radio, but I wouldn't be without it. (The weather channel is hard to get when your camping or geocaching).

Can't speak for the other models, but I can tell you that I have been extremely happy with my Meridian Platinum. Very versatile, I use it for work (military) and caching, and driving directions (without direct route). The SD card feature is a must for me. I've never been disappointed or second guessing my purchase of it.

As far as the Lowrance products, I have not seen any TOPO map software listed on their web site, but then again their web site is not the easiest one to find information on. They mention the Map Create software and street maps, but there is no mention of topo map software.

Yup Lowrance does offer TOPO maps

==> Click here <==

And a nice interactive display at that :lostsignal:

I have the 60CS and am very happy with it. If it comes down to a 60 go for the CS over the C, better to have the extras it comes with and not use them, than not have them and want them.

I others you cache with use Rino's a 130 might be a good pick, other wise just carry a stand alone radio.

As for the Magellan's. I have an old 330 that works very good, but no experiance with the newer ones.

Play with them all and see what feels best in YOUR hands. What ever you get, look for USB hook-up. Fast and easy DLing.