Carry On Camping Eventer 2005

House Of Boo

Calling all Geo-campers!!!

So thanks to the London eventer, where enough cachers told me to get my act together to establish a date, we now have two choices for the Camping event in the Lake district...

Its either:

I) The Saturday & Sunday / 4th & 5th of June 2005

or

II) The Saturday & Sunday / 11th & 12th of June 2005

What says the majority???

Camping, Caching & Celebrating life... who fancies it???

House Of Boo

Edited by House Of Boo

11th & 12th for us as Sue is working on the 4th & 5th.

Anyone up for conquering Scarfell Pike? Perhaps this could be made an event within an event (if thats aloud?). I am happy to organize this if there is enough interest, although I am not a particularly experienced fell walker so would happily stand down if someone more experienced would like to organize/help organize it.

Brilliant. Have already done Scafell, but could be tempted up again. Not going the scree route though. Up and round the back if you please, (ooh err missis).

If youv'e done Scafell already, you'll know what I mean.

So, Which date is it going to be House of Boo. I will try and get time off work. Probably easier getting blood from a stone though.

Are Caravans allowed, or would that be classed as cheating?

*Bing - Bong - Bing* "Hello, Campers..."

Right so we'll be working towards having the event on Saturday 11th through to Sunday the 12th of June so we can accomodate the Phillimore Clan's schedule... everyone else who've posted so far are pretty flexible...

Thinking of having the event in a Keswick or Wasdale campsite depending on attendance numbers, camping availability, pub locale etc etc... Wherever we end up there will be a fair bounty of caches to bag!

Camp or caravan, either or, just get out into the fresh air and enjoy yourselves thats the main thing... If I could get an idea of numbers so I can start getting in contact with Campsites and pulling it all together...

The big question will be Scafell Pike or Quest for The Ring Of Power???

House Of Boo

*Bing - Bong - Bing* "Hello, Campers..."

Right so we'll be working towards having the event  on  Saturday 11th through to Sunday the 12th of June so we can accomodate the Phillimore Clan's schedule... everyone else who've posted so far are pretty flexible...

Thinking of having the event in a Keswick or Wasdale campsite depending on attendance numbers, camping availability, pub locale etc etc... Wherever we end up there will be a fair bounty of caches to bag!

Camp or caravan, either or, just get out into the fresh air and enjoy yourselves thats the main thing... If I could get  an idea of numbers so I can start getting in contact with Campsites and pulling it all together...

The big question will be Scafell  Pike or Quest for The Ring Of Power???

House Of Boo

:P:D:o:D:D:D:(;)

Thanks, we will probably make a long weekend of it and come up on the Friday

Can we bring hounds?

Hounds most welcome..... but I couldn't eat a whole one!

Best keep them away from "The Prince of Darkness" :laughing::rolleyes:

Who is that man :D

Can we bring hounds?

Rest assured that the campsite (wherever it may be) will be dog friendly as it is widely known that some of the best cachers are the canines... NB - this may be only true in the case of the House Of Boo!!! :laughing:

To all non-dog loving cachers, all dogs will be kept under strict supervision so dont let the fact that there will be pooches on the camp-site put you off!

House Of Boo

If your looking for a good campsite have a look at UKCampsite you'll find reviews on quite a lot of sites, Dependant on No's your best looking for one with a rally field, should work out cheaper and easier to all pitch next to each other. while your there have a look at the recipe for the "Pink Stuff", one of the the sites members favourite tipples at rallys :laughing:

Dave

So glad you went for that weekend as we were in the throws of planning a similar event down here in Shropshire for the weekend of the 4th and 5th. This will be announced soon hopefully.

Lynn and I will definitely try and make it. We are hoping to meet up with friends of ours around that time camping probably at Santon Bridge which is only a cuple of miles from Wasdale. Although if the plan is for the campsite at Wasdale Head we may go there instead. We camped at Santon Bridge at the same time last year. The campsite is quite nice next to a river (good for keeping the beer cold:) and a pub if your beer floats away (as our friend's did last year :angry: ) They have an area for caravans and they are dog friendly. Last year the rate was £11 / night as I recall and I think we had to pay a little extra for Maddie.

Anyway, just a thought.

Martin & Lynn

Thanks Team Maddie UK for the helpful info on campsites!!!

We were just looking at the campsite's location at Wasdale Head and saw that it is in quite a remote part of the Lake District which has its pro's and con's:

PRO'S :angry:

1) Beautiful countryside

2) Closest to Scafell Pike (Good for the "Scafell Pikers")

3) Covers the event criteria (pub, dog friendly etc.)

CONS :lol:

1) 5 caches with in a 5 mile radius of campsite.

2) 33 miles away from "Quest for the Ring of Power" by car.

3) Quite a "rollercoaster ride" of a road to get to other caches (or so it seems).

As we're hoping to see alot (a few at least) cachers from far and wide at the event we thought that they might want to get their cache's worth out of their mileage and this would put the dampeners on the Wasdale Head campsite... But we could be wrong, a pleasent break in the mountains might be what everyone wants?

Let us know what you think and we'll try to make the right decision for all and sundry!!!

House Of Boo

The Wasdale campsite (as I remember it) is in quite a secluded position. also, caches that are Five miles away maybe more due to the terrain, UP AND DOWN.

I haven't looked at campsites yet but is there one near to keswick. I could get my fish and chips then, and wouldn't have to cook. Call me selfish, but there you are. :D:D:D

I'm more coming along for the "craic" rather than adding to my tally, so Wasdale Head sounds great. Would it still make a reasonable base for the numbers folks? With many people driving hundreds of miles to get there, maybe a short drive to cache-dense areas isn't such a big deal?

I think I'd be aiming to make a Friday evening arrival, as mapquest reckons it's nearly a six hour drive for me. Is that what most people will be aiming to do?

I've got a "pass" from my better half (she hates camping). I also have a bright pink disney castle play tent, so I'm all set :D :D

Dave (Mancunian Pyrocacher) you are a star!!!

Right Keswick it is then, Monday will involve phoning campsites and making the usual enquiries... Roughly how many cachers are interested in camping and in what form (tent or caravan)??? Rememeber if you are interested its better to say and drop out later than not... :D

House Of Boo

Ahhh, I would be up for this. I would love to bring my wife too, just to prove that you're not all the freaks that she suspects (only around 50% of you are!).

So for the other 50% that I haven't offended (especially House of Boo cos' he's organising), could someone let me know the B&B situation near these campsites. Bad backs you see.

I would look into it, but I'm too lazy and need to go and have a lie down.

Cheers

Richard

It's confirmed, I can come as I managed to get time off work.

House of Boo, have you managed to find a campsite suitable for all our neverending needs. I plan on coming up on Thursday so I can cache on Friday. As memory serves, most involve a fair bit of walking. Must remember walking gear.

As Pyoung1s is coming as well I suggest bringing a good torch. :lol::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Looking forward to it immensly.

Andrew :unsure:

*Bing Bong Bing* "Hello Campers!..."

Dont worry organising the camp site is still happening!!!

Keep your fingers crossed as if I can wangle the campsite I want we will have a PH only a mile away from the campsite AND 15 caches within a 5 mile radius PLUS easy access for both the "Scafell Pikers" and the "Powerheads"...oooh exciting stuff!!!

House Of Boo

We might come, or we might not ;)

It's impossible to say at the moment, as one of our friends from Australia is coming over during that time. He is however interested to go caching, and he'll be moving around a bit during his 4 weeks over here, so who knows. If we do come it could be just the two of us, or it could be 3 of us!?!

*BONG BING BONG* "Hello Campers...!"

A suitable campsite has been found and verified. We are currently in the process of wrangling "low season" prices for all attending, campers and caravaners alike! The campsite will be 1 mile away from a pub, have electric hook ups for those needing them and we have been promised pitches next to each other if we so wish.

There are 30 caches in a 10 mile radius so far and that means a fair choice of caching to those who want to really boost their numbers!

We were thinking of everyone meeting up on the Saturday morning, deciding what caches they want to do and then teaming up with cachers with similar agendas and spending the day having a laugh! Then meeting up for drinks and a chinwag later on in the day!!!

We have confirmed with the site our pitches and theres room for more cachers if they still feel like attending, just remember to post and keep us informed! Also if you want to spend a couple of days either side of the event date let us know and we'll see if we can extend the savings on cost!

As soon as everythings finalised (price of pitches) we will be releasing the cache page for all to see and telling you how to book!

Cheers for hanging on in there for us! :mad:

House Of Boo

Edited by House Of Boo