Where Are You At? And....

gnbrotz

PFF's recent thread has prompted to me post a thought I've had from time to time:

For those who are comfortable sharing, a home area would be listed and an approximate radius that they would be willing to travel for a team hunt effort. This may lead to folks meeting half-way between their homes, or organizing something while travelling farther from home than benchmark hunting would normally take them.

I too enjoy the solitary hunt, or with my best friend, locally, but on the few occasions I've had the opportunity, teaming up can also be rewarding. I've enjoyed an outing with RogBarn, HappyCycler and GeoTrailblazer in St. Louis as well as two more local outings with mloser which I'm sure will happen again.

I'll start....if it catches on, perhaps a simple web page or map could be developed.

I'm near Chambersburg, PA and would travel a 50-100 mile radius to hunt.

We live at the end of the earth (Page, AZ)...we have to travel *several hundreds* of miles all the time to find marks & caches. The more we find...the farther we have to travel. So, if someone would want to meet us somewhere, just to say 'hi & grab a mark or two', would not seem to be out of the question. That is the difference from living back east (we remember when we lived in Indiana...going from Kendallville to Fort Wayne was a big undertaking)...distances out west seem to be trival. People here will travel to Flagstaff (2 1/2 hour drive) just for a bite to eat, then turn around & come straight home!

Next question...just how far do you travel to get a 'good one'?

For us to go to the area, where the turnoff for the rock cairns are (the ones that we have already found), is one & a half hours drive away, then 4X4 & hoofing it to get to the sites.

Just remember, no matter where you travel to....you better take your camera & GPSr along & watch for others out trying to find something, it might be us. :laughing:

Edit to repair lots of things due to lack of sleep.

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

I have traveled to Seattle, Boston, Connecticut, and Florida to hunt benchmarks... Ok, I lie, I did find benchmarks there but the trips were for other reasons. I just can't go anywhere without getting an out of area mark though!

The furthest I have traveled JUST to get a mark is about an hour. It was an 1885 mark that hadn't been recovered since and was a granite block on a mountain. The reason I haven't traveled too far is that there are so many close ones to get. As I pick them up I have to travel more and more. The closest marks I haven't found (excluding my list of "trouble" marks that I keep going back to again and again, hoping something changes and I can find them) is about 30 minutes now and moving up quickly to 45.

Matt

2oldfarts

That is the difference from living back east (we remember when we lived in Indiana...going from Kendallville to Fort Wayne was a big undertaking)...distances out west seem to be trival.

You are so right, I grew up in Ft. Wayne, but have lived in Montana for the last 23 years. Around here I drive for hours to go to jobs or search marks and then head back home in the same day; back in Indiana my family never gets much further than 100 miles from home in a whole year. If you aren't willing to drive to get somewhere, don't move out west.

My wife and I are going to be heading to southern Utah in May, so maybe I'll see you picking through rocks on the side of the road.

CallawayMT

GEO*Trailblazer 1,Feb 13 2005, 07:15 AM

When and where in Utah in May

We haven't figured that out quite yet; we will be down there the second week of May. We are looking at a few days in the Cedar City and St. George area and then a few days in the Moab region.

CallawayMT

Edited by CallawayMT

I would travel a considerable distance for worthwhile marks...FTF...19th century marks. Normal, or more conspicuous marks, I would travel less. I traveled over 3 hours last year for a Meet and Greet in Pheonix, AZ from Sierra Vista and back after it was done, so I am up for just about anything.

Neweyess and I did another team hunt, this past weekend. (Details to follow.) Meanwhile, with photos like this one showing up in the gallery, I'm wondering if I should trade in Gary for a new BM-hunting partner, or would it be a distraction? <_<

And is he asking the same question.......

-Paul-

[Chuckle] Just giving you your 15 minutes of fame. Keep ole Dave in line. We're glad to know he takes off that necktie now and then. (Those finance guys can be SO formal at times. Remind him he's in FLORIDA, for gosh sakes!) :)

See AI8586 and AI8587 for photos of MY team members. Your team wins the photogenic award!

-Paul-

Yeah, I think introducing him to Geo was the best idea ever - and the camera always comes along. Usually it's the Travel Bugs that get all the attention, but at the last cache we did with a group, he had us posing this way and that on a really nifty bridge to try for some nice perspective shots!

PFF's recent thread has prompted to me post a thought I've had from time to time:

For those who are comfortable sharing, a home area would be listed and an approximate radius that they would be willing to travel for a team hunt effort. This may lead to folks meeting half-way between their homes, or organizing something while travelling farther from home than benchmark hunting would normally take them.

I too enjoy the solitary hunt, or with my best friend, locally, but on the few occasions I've had the opportunity, teaming up can also be rewarding. I've enjoyed an outing with RogBarn, HappyCycler and GeoTrailblazer in St. Louis as well as two more local outings with mloser which I'm sure will happen again.

I'll start....if it catches on, perhaps a simple web page or map could be developed.

I'm near Chambersburg, PA and would travel a 50-100 mile radius to hunt.

I benchmark hunt with my fiancee', Leo Bicknell. It's much easier to find BM's with more than person.

We're in Placentia, CA (Northeast Orange county, sort of due east of LA, just before you hit the mountains). Being an LA & area freeway denizen, we have been known to travel out to Palm Springs & beyond (100 miles or so) for good hiking / Geocaching / Benchmarking. Sounds like we & California Bear are in the same general area. Shot me an email on future plans, CA Bear (note that my wife is TeddyBearMama!), and maybe we can get together sometime. We tend to prefer 5 - 8 mile hikes to somewhere with caches & benchmarks. So far, there are plenty of both with easy (1 hr) driving range) of here.