Is Trading Important To You?

mike88

I'm thinking of placing a multi/puzzle cache which gives you the clues to a combination padlocked cache at the end. Hopefully a lot of the stages will be quite interesting not just tupperware in a bush. Would many cachers be put off at all if there were no trades in any of the caches? Space could be a bit limited so would you put effort in just to sign the book and log the cache?

Multis generally have trade items in only the final stage, so I wouldn't worry about the other stages if I was you. Anyway, I rarely trade, but I make sure my caches are well stocked because there are a lot of families with kids who geocache and kids love to find stuff to trade. Also newbies often expect to find something interesting.

But if you mention that its a log only cache on the page, then you're fine. That way families won't be disappointed to open it up and find only a pencil and logbook.

The stages would have no trade items or the final cache would have no trade items.

To me, for a multi, the final cache should be something special to warrant the complexity of the hide (having to accomplish multiple stages or tasks). Just my opinion, but the end result of a multi should be something cool, either some great scenery or nice trade items, etc.... It's not all about the trade, but I think many would want to feel like they had a better 'payoff' than just signing the book. On that note there are those who just like the feeling of accomplishment.

As far as the stages go, makes no difference to me. If they are just 'stepping stones' to get info for the final do those how you want.

However you decide to do it is cool though, it's your cache, make it how you want.

If you hide it, they will come.

Others opinions may, and probably will differ.

Edited by Seay me

IF what you mean is multiple caches, each with it's own cache page then it can be listed there is no trade. If it is a single cache with multiple stages then the only really container to trade at is the final cache container. Is this as clear as mud????

I would suggest you also chain the final cache with the lock to some object as I have done simular to what your doing but my container has been stolen twice I a hoping by people find it and wondering what is in it so they just take it home to open the box.

cheers

I very rarely trade, and probably wouldn't notice the absence of trade items at all. My 'earlier geocaching self' who really enjoyed trading would have liked to see trading in the final stage. Limiting the trading to the final stage might be a way to keep the cache's content higher quality (less dilution).

Would many cachers be put off at all if there were no trades in any of the caches?  Space could be a bit limited so would you put effort in just to sign the book and log the cache?

You say it's a problem of space, so is the main cache a micro? Micros don't normally have trade items. I've done multis to micros.

Normally the early stages of a multi don't contain trade items, only the clues that lead on toward the main cache. If the main is a traditional cache it would normally have trade items, but I don't trade so it wouldn't mean anything to me if it didn't. As others have said, you can explain in the cache description that it's a log only cache and has no trade items. It may cause a few people to pass on it, but no one should be upset since you explained the situation.

It isn’t clear to me why a person who hunts micro would pass on a traditional cache because there were no trade items, but people’s behavior frequently baffles me.

edit typo

Edited by Thot

I rarely trade, either. But I'd be disappointed somehow if there were nothing at the very end. Even a multi with a micro on the end I shuffle to the back of my To Do list.

It doesn't make a lot of sense, but there you go.

You don't need to put "tupperware" at the earlier stages, though. Just something big enough to hold/write on the next coords.

Another comment- I have found some urban multis that only had micros. I found that suitable though because they were in historic districts/places with good views. If you are thinking along those lines I would encourage you.

One, though, that was limited to things like shoved in a bush or lamppost type micros was a bit boring.

I rarely trade items at traditional caches.

However, a multicache involves some work, and by working, anticipation builds about finind the final stage. I would gladly trade at the end of a milti-stage cache.

I would be very let down if the final stage was a micro or non-trading container.

If I knew ahead of time that the cache was a non-trading multi, you had better justify the reason for it or it's scratched off my list. Too much fork for aparently too little reward.

Ed

ps: I have hiden 1 multi cache, with many micro stages leading to a big cache that currently holds 22 trade items.

I very seldom ever trade, but I do enjoy seeing what is in a “trading” cache.

So finding items for trade and/or an interesting area would be a big plus.

But the satisfaction of completing the cache regardless of what is at the end would be enough for me to give it a go.

Jim

Kc8bdr

I have rarely traded. I enjoy the hunt much more than trading a pocket full of trinkets. I would rather do a multi than a single. Come on now how hard can one really make a single? I also enjoy the games. There is a series of them in my home area. I got one down and the rest to go. Check out zip 28027 for them if you're interested.

Multis generally have trade items in only the final stage, so I wouldn't worry about the other stages if I was you. Anyway, I rarely trade, but I make sure my caches are well stocked because there are a lot of families with kids who geocache and kids love to find stuff to trade. Also newbies often expect to find something interesting.

But if you mention that its a log only cache on the page, then you're fine. That way families won't be disappointed to open it up and find only a pencil and logbook.

That's a great answer (only, for me - after 16 months/122 caches-, change it to "I still like to trade." Also, I said this so many times - the harder the cache, the fewer the finders, so be prepared for that. Personally, I avoid multis that are over 3 stages, and I like trade items at the end (though I trade for the worthless items, usually).