Help W/ New Gps Receiver And Waypoints

jltitus

:ph34r: I need help. I just got a GPS reciever ( Garmin EtrexLengend) and I thought I could download the Geocash way points and complete a geocash that way. I've gotten the waypoint file downloaded to my GPS receiver but I don't know how to get to the way points for the cache I downloaded. I need help because when I go to Main Menu>Find>Waypoints the waypoints aren't there. Help!!!

I've been downloading the .loc files on Geocaching. I've been using EasyGPS to "send" them to my GPS which is connected to the back of my computer via the serial port.

I know it's something I'm doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you sure they're getting to the gps?

Does easygps report any errors when trying to send or receive data?

Have you entered the gps model in the preferences>add gps? And is easygps finding your unti when it does 'test connection'?

I don't use the loc files, but if they're like the gpx ones, all the waypoints your sending may be renamed to their gc.com ID numbers, like GCXXXX. Try finding a waypoint by name, and enter GC and see if it finds anything.

Click the bottom button on the left. This will bring up the search screen. Waypoints should be at the top and highlighted. Click the "click" switch on the front and it will ask "nearest" or "by name". Choose either one with the click switch, press it and it should show a list of the waypoints you uploaded.

Edited by SeventhSon

This thread is officially sanctioned by the Federal Department of National Redundancy Department.

At this department, an excessive number of government employees will do absolutely nothing for the next few years. <_<

Edit: Link to the other thread that has a couple more replies and suggestions than this one.

Edited by Jeep_Dog