What Would Be Another Great Official Tracked Item

Team Silver

i was wondering...there are Jeeps, geocoins, TBs, moun10bike coins...what other ideas do you have that Groundspeak could make as a new icon to be tracked? it seems getting another icon is pretty exciting especially if you have figured out a hard mystery cache or if you found a Project APE cache. what other great ideas are there?

Edited by Team Silver

How about a new icon for Night-Only Caches. These are starting to pop up in the Eastern PA region and everyone seems to like them. But they are difficult to search for and isolate in the current database. Some are listed as regular caches and some are listed as mystery caches.

approvers

have them tatooed or ear tags attached or something. then if you can capture one while caching or at an event, you get to claim a special icon of some sort.  :rolleyes:

Special points if you can get one without sedation. We are a slippery bunch.

You mean like a greased Torry... er, pig? :lostsignal:

No in our case the Kevlar flack jackets are Teflon coated. its better.

If I wanted to have my own coins minted, could Durango coins be tracked?  could I get my own D coin symbol?

Not by geocaching.com. You'd have to setup the website on your own.

Why the favoritism? :D

Uh????

since they run both a traveler tracking and cache listing sites, its easy to intergrate them in a simple and 'easy' way. Why they don't work on expanding it include other databases? well, they have their own so... why would they want to??

If I wanted to have my own coins minted, could Durango coins be tracked?  could I get my own D coin symbol?

Not true. We're working with some orgs to allow trackable coins. However the coins will need to have alphanumeric tracking numbers which is unavailable from most coin manufacturers. They seem to only be able to do sequential numbers. If anyone knows of a coin maker that can provide this service, I'd love to hear about it.

You know, the more I think of this idea, the more I like it. It would be cool to have personalized coins made that could be tracked on the site. Obviously, they would have to be approved by TPTB and a reasonable fee would need to be paid to the site.

Yes, would be a GREAT idea and one that many people would love to use.

Not true. We're working with some orgs to allow trackable coins. However the coins will need to have alphanumeric tracking numbers which is unavailable from most coin manufacturers. They seem to only be able to do sequential numbers. If anyone knows of a coin maker that can provide this service, I'd love to hear about it.

:lostsignal: Whoooaaahh, cool! The last I had heard about such things (quite a while ago, I might add) was that the USA Geocoins were the only ones GC.com was going to do because of the hassle involved (as you say) of having unique traveler numbers, etc.

I am so very glad to be wrong, once again! Once in place, this should bring about some interesting stuff!

Jeremy,

Could you expand on the alpha numeric requirement? Numbers prefaced by letters? Hexadecimal? "Septadecimal? What specifically?

The requirement was essentially to have 'randomish' alpha-numeric numbering on the coins to reduce the chance of randomly guessing tracking numbers, and hence mucking up the tracking.

The requirement was essentially to have 'randomish' alpha-numeric numbering on the coins to reduce the chance of randomly guessing tracking numbers, and hence mucking up the tracking.

yes, but if you are the type of person to do such a thing, it does not take a work of genious to enter a random 6 digit number and you are likely to come up with some listed TB. You coudl then log it and muck up it's tracking.

Can't imagine why anybody would do this, but then I cannot see why people muggle caches etc etc etc either.